Promotion to S/Sgt eh.... No.

Evening all

Bit of help/ guidance/ grow up and be a big boy please?

I came off the Board for Staffy in Sept 2016 and posted from an ATU to a UOTC in the belief that I was being posted on promotion.

In March 2017 I received and kept an email from the RSM saying it was done but as my desk at Glasgow was undermanned, to wait a month or two and chase it.

In June 2017 I chased it at Glasgow to be told it was a unit thing. I emailed the AWO on June 18th but no reply. I have been chasing it since.

I spoke with and emailed my new RSM and in Feb this year did yet again. After he has dug about, I'm being told that I should have gone forward to a 'Job Board' as the PID I'm in is that of Sgt. Apparently, no-one told me, no-one knew and I've been wearing an Acting rank since Mar 17. The next job board is not until Sept/ Oct and I'm stuck acting until then and with little to no prospect of being paid for the two years at Staffy and with the loss of any seniority.

I have been told I have no grounds for a Service Complaint as I didn't chase it up. I did. With evidence I did.

So: is there a Job Board (never heard of it before)? Would this constitute a Complaint for Career Foul?

Any experts out there?

Cheers in advance.

Hi Duke

No letter. The PSAO has the comms which I can get but that was for coming off the board only.

The email from the RSM was that I had been successful and was being promoted to S/Sgt

Put in a Service Complaint, go direct to the ombudsman web page don’t faf around with you CofC, your CofC has to respond within the allotted time.

You might not get an answer you like, but at least you will get an answer.

Last edited:
Hmm? Strange....most of my promotions were based on me being posted the feck aways so i couldn't do more damage ;-) ..including being a Csjt as an SPSI and funnily enough being the same on return to Bn, 2 years later .

oh how i laughed ;-)

Been there OP, don't expect a good answer. In my case it was 'sorry, your whole CoC is incompetent and has lied to you. Oh, and no we can't/won't do anything to fix it'. For added bonus points, watch them act surprised when you put in for a transfer.

My CoC decided to completely ignore my posting order.. fucked me over for 18 months..many OCs (RAMC DRs) swore blind they'd done all they could to resolve the issue; CO HQ STHN Gsn complicit in the whole affair...made worse when I stopped playing rugby for 8RI (Thanks Farron and Paddy 'Lumley' (provided survival tips to the lovely Joanna) ex 22 SAS and 1Bn IG) . My own (Corps) CoC were even worse..at a local level they'd stitched a deal with another 'Desk' (Inf) and I was left out in the wilderness...(FORBER you ****** I used to be your opening partner for Corps Cricket), anyway went into Int Corps passed course (160) got posted back to NI (FIU)...DV withheld for a year.....revert to capbadge.....you've not been fucked mate until you've been RAMC fucked because then they really went to town.....career foul go for it fella!

I came off the Board for Staffy in Sept 2016 and posted from an ATU to a UOTC in the belief that I was being posted on promotion.
I'm being told that I should have gone forward to a 'Job Board' as the PID I'm in is that of Sgt.
from what your saying you were put on a job board and posted to a sgt's job in an uotc... How did the ssgt bit come about?

Genuinely the only way to stop this nonsense is service complaint to death. If you get ostracised or penalised, Service Complaint that as well.

We are in 2018, not 1818, sh*t Commanders need to be held to account. Collective shrugging of shoulders will change nothing.

Genuinely the only way to stop this nonsense is service complaint to death. If you get ostracised or penalised, Service Complaint that as well.

We are in 2018, not 1818, sh*t Commanders need to be held to account. Collective shrugging of shoulders will change nothing.
Service complaints resolve nothing. The organisation protects the highest ranks or best connected unless the grievance amounts to criminality. The organisation's actions on grievance are:
1. Kick into long grass
2. Minimise investigative activity until everyone gets posted or dies

If your grievance is against someone in an AR unit with a minibus licence, don't waste your time. Just move on.

My usual fee.

My CoC decided to completely ignore my posting order.. fucked me over for 18 months..many OCs (RAMC DRs) swore blind they'd done all they could to resolve the issue; CO HQ STHN Gsn complicit in the whole affair...made worse when I stopped playing rugby for 8RI (Thanks Farron and Paddy 'Lumley' (provided survival tips to the lovely Joanna) ex 22 SAS and 1Bn IG) . My own (Corps) CoC were even worse..at a local level they'd stitched a deal with another 'Desk' (Inf) and I was left out in the wilderness...(FORBER you ****** I used to be your opening partner for Corps Cricket), anyway went into Int Corps passed course (160) got posted back to NI (FIU)...DV withheld for a year.....revert to capbadge.....you've not been fucked mate until you've been RAMC fucked because then they really went to town.....career foul go for it fella!
But you're not bitter at all.

Service complaints resolve nothing. The organisation protects the highest ranks or best connected unless the grievance amounts to criminality. The organisation's actions on grievance are:
1. Kick into long grass
2. Minimise investigative activity until everyone gets posted or dies

If your grievance is against someone in an AR unit with a minibus licence, don't waste your time. Just move on.

My usual fee.
Really?

Your experience differs to mine ^~

There was a thread about 10-15 years back that highlighted the hazards of accepting acting rank. I may be misremembering but I think it went something along the lines of:

The post you fill isn't recorded as being filled so you're only in place until somebody with appropriate qualifications and experience takes post. So you're a stopgap, no more, and it's unlikely that it will be you who becomes the permanent post-holder.

Your career effectively marks time. Career fouling is an almost certainty if you're in there for more than a few weeks - while you're holding the fort, your erstwhile peers will be receiving the training that's actually needed for the post. They get posted in at the appropriate rank, you get posted out and revert.

If I recall correctly, there's a time bar on acting rank that is supposed to reduce the risk of career fouling but as its something like a year, that's more than enough time to be leapfrogged in the promotion stakes.

It's worth reading up on the different rank statuses (local, acting, provisional and substansive), preferably before you accept a position. Accepting acting rank may give you brownie points on a SJAR if you can be seen to be performing well but if you're hidden from the relevant 2RO, you'll struggle to appear anywhere other than in the middle third.

Caveat emptor! It's been a long while since the thread and I no longer have access to the relevant documents to check.

Another thought - if you're wearing acting rank, you should have seen a difference on your pay slip within two months. If it didn't appear you should have been raising merry hell from then onwards. Are you sure that you're not wearing a local rank?

How was your promotion described on Part 2 orders? (I presume we still have Part 2s...)

Last edited:
Another anecdote from my experience; there was no such thing as acting rank in my unit. Ptes filling full screw slots, lanc jacks as acting sergeants, and none getting the pay for that slot. The 'saved' money was used to fund bn hqs old boys club; plenty of le officers without real jobs having spurious posts created for them.

Took a full Col from another unit pointing them to the regs to get a response, and that was 'interesting, we will look into it's. No prizes for guessing the outcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Reports & Promotion 2
DesktopCommando Juniors 9
Mighty_Blighty Seniors 1