Promotion prospects in the AAC

Hey guys,

First off, I hope this is the right place for my question!

I have recently passed Army Selection, the AAC was my third choice but I'm really considering it at the moment over my other choices mainly due to faffing around with GCSE certificates above everything else. I am looking at the Army for the long run, I want a career in the forces and always have so promotions and the like have generally always been a part of that plan, so basically I have two questions:

1. What are promotion prospects in the AAC like? Such as how long would I generally be an "Airtrooper" for before I am considered for L. Cpl?

2. I have always wanted to be an Officer but I lacked the ALIS points to join as one immediately, so will this affect my chances of being an Officer permanently or is it possible to get commission while serving as a soldier without the need for qualifications? (I have college diplomas L2 & L3) and if so, will I have to have been serving for a good number of years prior, and can I request to be put through or do I have to be recommended by a higher up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can't help personally, as I've been out of the system for some time. @blobmeister can you help? @CAARPS

Hey guys,

First off, I hope this is the right place for my question!

I have recently passed Army Selection, the AAC was my third choice but I'm really considering it at the moment over my other choices mainly due to faffing around with GCSE certificates above everything else. I am looking at the Army for the long run, I want a career in the forces and always have so promotions and the like have generally always been a part of that plan, so basically I have two questions:

1. What are promotion prospects in the AAC like? Such as how long would I generally be an "Airtrooper" for before I am considered for L. Cpl?

2. I have always wanted to be an Officer but I lacked the ALIS points to join as one immediately, so will this affect my chances of being an Officer permanently or is it possible to get commission while serving as a soldier without the need for qualifications? (I have college diplomas L2 & L3) and if so, will I have to have been serving for a good number of years prior, and can I request to be put through or do I have to be recommended by a higher up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
First para is dependent on your current academic grades. What I mean by that is the AAC are about to start the direct entry (DE) senior non-commissioned officer (SNCO). This scheme will be used to identify quality individuals to pass-out of phase 1 training, join Middle Wallop as a substantive Lance Corporal, acting Corporal. This soldier will then complete a 12-week ground-based course (wrapping in groundcrew, CLM aspects up to SNCO level). On completion of this the soldier will be a substantive Corporal, acting sergeant and transition straight on to the Army Pilots Course. In theory, you could go from private to sergeant in 6months where you would remain on flying training for anything up to 4yrs. Once flying training is completed, you would then have to attend and pass SNCO CLM (or whatever will be in its place then) to substantiate your Sergeant rank. The caveat associated with this is you would need a high PSAT score and 3 good A levels.

Point 1: you would be eligible for promotion once you are a fully trained class 1 soldier in your trade (groundcrew or signals (roughly 3-4yrs)). If you're an obviously strong individual, I see no reason why the '4yrs first tape' is not unreasonable.

Point 2: we have over the years identified real talent within the ranks, then fast-tracked them to Sandhurst if successful on the commissioning board. If you feel you have the ability and desire, make it know throughout your phase 2 training. At least then you can be truly assessed and watched as a candidate, however, the choice to pursue this is that of the chain of command. To draw attention to some of the recent quality, the Corps' sent a Cpl crewman who finished top of all AAC at Sandhurst and he went straight into the pilots course on completion. Thereafter, the only route to commissioning from the ranks would be late-entry (LE). The earliest you could go for the LE route would be Staff Sergeant (for AAC applicants, WO2 for those out side the Corps - pending possible change). However, this would be dependant on several areas: age, experience, etc. The LE route has age-blocking markers in the promotional profile whereby you can only be considered for 'X' rank at 'X' age (dependant on time in current rank).

Either way, it's a great Corps that has some real quality individuals and command.

Last edited:
Either way, it's a great Corps that has some real quality individuals and command.[/QUOTE]

Good to see that The Corps is still highly thought of as twas in my day (swings lamp and yawns)