Promotion Problem

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by G4commando, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to help but it's worth a try.

    I got posted on an E2 post in 2005 and was given acting rank of L/Cpl, so I am getting paid in that rank, and have being given the pay rise for this rank each year.
    My problem is this. I've now held this acting rank for 4 years and I have being told a number of different things, one being that after 2 years I should have recieved substancive rank and the other being that because I'm Infantry its different rules and that on my return to my unit I have to revert back to my former rank.
    I've approached my RAO and RAWO about this a few times and each time I have being told something different. Can anyone please shed some light on this for me?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

    in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

    Have you passed a JNCO cadre ? If not, don't think you are eligible for promotion, no matter how long you have held acting rank.
  3. If you are infantry try speaking to your RCMO. The rules for each cap badge are different, but he is best placed to advise you.
  4. The rules for each cap badge are NOT different. Promotion in the Infantry is governed by one set of regulations. Me thinks that because you were posted away from your Bn as an "Acting" LCpl, presumably filling a LCpl, post, you must not have been correctly qualified for substantive promotion (otherwise you would have been su promoted on posting). As "In the Cheapseats" says, if you have not attended and passed the JNCO Cadre you cannot be substantively promoted.
  5. As I understand it: As an Acting LCpl, you will still have been geting assessed as a Pte and should have recieved your reccomendation for promotion and any relevant courses needed for said promotion to become substansive. If none of this has happened, once you are pulled from the E2 post back to your unit post in a Pte slot, you will indeed revert back to Pte pay. Your Pte seniority should have carried on accruing though whilst you were recievenig LCpl pay. Be sure to keep an eye on it.

    Have you spoke to your 2IC about it? They're normally pretty on the ball regarding matters such as these.
  6. Don't know the answer to your query, but from 23 years of experience there is one thing that I can tell you.

    Doing a Job that's above your own held rank is one of the worst things that you can do. Especialy if it's within you own Trade/Discipline

    2 reasons really

    1. You usualy do these jobs because the person that is meant to be doing it is doing another job, ie, the one above them. As a result of this it can difficult for your reporting Officer to write you up for doing it as you shouldn't really be doing it.

    2. If you do a job above your rank range for any length of time, when you finally hold that post it can become highly demoralising for you as you may already have been doing it for several years.
  7. A high flier then
  8. Well my question has being answered, sort of!!!!!!!!!!!! I've just recieved my JPA posting order and I'm returning back to a my Battalion as...................... a private soldier. The best bit is I am taking over a full screw, hows that work
  9. in_the_cheapseats

    in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

    I take it you haven't done a JNCO cadre then?
  10. Apologies - rules across the infantry are the same as you quite rightly point out. By capbadges I meant different arms (Inf/R Signals/RE etc etc)
  11. I passed my Tactics phase of it in 2001, battalion wouldnt make me up before as I hadnt done the drill phase
  12. in_the_cheapseats

    in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

    So simple answer is that you haven't finished a cadre. If you still can, get yourself on one. It is the only way you'll get substantive.