Promotion. Mandatory?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by priest, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What it says on the tin basically.

Yes it's kind of a general military question but as i'm joining the int corp might aswell post it here.

From what i picked up from the recruiter down at chix. It seems the higher up in the ranks you go, the more things start to slow down.

Do you HAVE to take promotions?

Not saying i wanna be a full screw for however many years, but i'd like to keep things running at a decent pace whilst still in my prime, know what i mean.

Or is it a case of, ''you've been recommended for promotion to Sergeant, now go check out your new mess''?

2. It isn't absolutely mandatory to accept promotion and you can put up a case to remain at the rank you are at. But why? More money, better jobs, more responsibility - plus it will in all likelihood it will be seen as lack of ambition and commitment if you refuse. It gets slower because the competition for the fewer places in the next higher rank gets tougher, that's what makes it more challenging. If you don't fancy a challenge, then the Corps isn't for you, and neither perhaps is a career inthe Army.
  3. You can refuse a promotion, but the rules will say it will affect your future promotion.

Fuck the rules, you refuse a promotion and your career will be over, end of story.
  4. Yeah, it'll deffo be over. I can name two others who signed off after coming off the board, in doing so Glasgow will inform you that it's refusing promotion and you sign the bits and bobs to say that you are doing so.
    I asked and there's no point signing back, it's deffo a career-ruiner to "refuse" it!
  5. #

That's all i needed to hear.

6. Do not get too hung up over promotion. Sometimes it comes and sometimes it doesn't. There are plenty of people on this board who can vouch for that.
  7. Get through training and learn your job first. Although some of the work might change as you get promoted it will still remain a challenge and of great interest. Plus the further up the tree you get the comfier your surroundings.

Miles off yet though, eh?
  8. :lol:
  9. Another thing to remember about promotion - there will be people less able and deserving than you who go much further in terms of rank, there will also be people more able and deserving than you who you will soar past. This is the way of the world and it is no different in the Corps.
  10. Oh, how right you are!
  11. Seems like someone didn't always get what they wanted. :lol:

On reflection my promotions, or lack of them, were perfectly judged!

I wouldn't have given my 18 yr old self Lance-Jack, let alone Full Screw at 20, but after that they wised up.

Bugger! :roll:
  12. Accept the promotions when they come, but do not be in too much of a rush to get them.

There are some who are desperately keen to get on, seeking only to do one or two postings in rank. In some ranks, that's not a terrible drawback, but in others it is a mistake and leaves the Corps with enthusiastic, but inexperienced staff who can become frazzled by responsibility.

Enjoy what you get and do not think that things necessarily slow down. The third rank - as an officer or NCO - is generally radically higher-paced than the first two and thereafter the impact of what you do becomes much greater. You can make your life as frenetic or as dull as you like after that.
  13. In the immortal words of the song 'sunscreen':

"Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself".
  14. Profound! That probably took them all weekend too. :wink:
  15. Speaking of which MV - Have you got the big crown yet ?