Promotion. Mandatory?

#1
What it says on the tin basically.

Yes it's kind of a general military question but as i'm joining the int corp might aswell post it here.

From what i picked up from the recruiter down at chix. It seems the higher up in the ranks you go, the more things start to slow down.

Do you HAVE to take promotions?

Not saying i wanna be a full screw for however many years, but i'd like to keep things running at a decent pace whilst still in my prime, know what i mean.

Or is it a case of, ''you've been recommended for promotion to Sergeant, now go check out your new mess''?

Priest
 
#2
It isn't absolutely mandatory to accept promotion and you can put up a case to remain at the rank you are at. But why? More money, better jobs, more responsibility - plus it will in all likelihood it will be seen as lack of ambition and commitment if you refuse. It gets slower because the competition for the fewer places in the next higher rank gets tougher, that's what makes it more challenging. If you don't fancy a challenge, then the Corps isn't for you, and neither perhaps is a career inthe Army.
 
#3
You can refuse a promotion, but the rules will say it will affect your future promotion.

Fuck the rules, you refuse a promotion and your career will be over, end of story.
 
#4
Yeah, it'll deffo be over. I can name two others who signed off after coming off the board, in doing so Glasgow will inform you that it's refusing promotion and you sign the bits and bobs to say that you are doing so.
I asked and there's no point signing back, it's deffo a career-ruiner to "refuse" it!
 
#5
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
You can refuse a promotion, but the rules will say it will affect your future promotion.

Fuck the rules, you refuse a promotion and your career will be over, end of story.
#

That's all i needed to hear.

Thanks.
 
#6
Do not get too hung up over promotion. Sometimes it comes and sometimes it doesn't. There are plenty of people on this board who can vouch for that.
 
#7
Get through training and learn your job first. Although some of the work might change as you get promoted it will still remain a challenge and of great interest. Plus the further up the tree you get the comfier your surroundings.

Miles off yet though, eh?
 
#9
Another thing to remember about promotion - there will be people less able and deserving than you who go much further in terms of rank, there will also be people more able and deserving than you who you will soar past. This is the way of the world and it is no different in the Corps.
 
#11
lightning47 said:
Another thing to remember about promotion - there will be people less able and deserving than you who go much further in terms of rank, there will also be people more able and deserving than you who you will soar past. This is the way of the world and it is no different in the Corps.
Seems like someone didn't always get what they wanted. :lol:

On reflection my promotions, or lack of them, were perfectly judged!

I wouldn't have given my 18 yr old self Lance-Jack, let alone Full Screw at 20, but after that they wised up.

Bugger! :roll:
 
#12
Accept the promotions when they come, but do not be in too much of a rush to get them.

There are some who are desperately keen to get on, seeking only to do one or two postings in rank. In some ranks, that's not a terrible drawback, but in others it is a mistake and leaves the Corps with enthusiastic, but inexperienced staff who can become frazzled by responsibility.

Enjoy what you get and do not think that things necessarily slow down. The third rank - as an officer or NCO - is generally radically higher-paced than the first two and thereafter the impact of what you do becomes much greater. You can make your life as frenetic or as dull as you like after that.
 
#13
In the immortal words of the song 'sunscreen':

"Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself".
 
#14
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
In the immortal words of the song 'sunscreen':

"Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself".
Profound! That probably took them all weekend too. :wink:
 
#15
Minnesota_Viking said:
It isn't absolutely mandatory to accept promotion and you can put up a case to remain at the rank you are at. But why? More money, better jobs, more responsibility - plus it will in all likelihood it will be seen as lack of ambition and commitment if you refuse. It gets slower because the competition for the fewer places in the next higher rank gets tougher, that's what makes it more challenging. If you don't fancy a challenge, then the Corps isn't for you, and neither perhaps is a career inthe Army.
Speaking of which MV - Have you got the big crown yet ?
 
#16
Bound_Apprentice said:
lightning47 said:
Another thing to remember about promotion - there will be people less able and deserving than you who go much further in terms of rank, there will also be people more able and deserving than you who you will soar past. This is the way of the world and it is no different in the Corps.
Seems like someone didn't always get what they wanted. :lol:

On reflection my promotions, or lack of them, were perfectly judged!

I wouldn't have given my 18 yr old self Lance-Jack, let alone Full Screw at 20, but after that they wised up.

Bugger! :roll:
Quite right, I didn't always get what I wanted, but on reflection I think I did get what I deserved and worked for (in terms of promotion/rank). :oops: Also, in my opinion, I didn't do as well as some of those less able than me, and I know I did better than some who should have soared past me (but didn't for whatever reason). But as I said, that's not just the Corps or the Army, that's the way of the world, and I'm sure that hasn't changed!

I too would have been an awful (in the not very good sense of the word) lance jack at age 18 so it's lucky I didn't get it until I was 20 :D
 
#17
Slightly off topic; but the way to do it is to stamp your feet, get really vocal and then threaten to sign off when you don't come off the board! You may then find yourself promoted and with a really gucci posting on the way too...... :roll:
 
#18
Hello to all in the Corps.Im new to this forum.

Is promotion mandatory ? Depends on the circumstances - if you refuse (or rather ask for deferment) because your wife is 7 months pregnant and you dont want to move for a while to allow everything to settle down , ok.

If you genuinely feel you are not ready for the rank tell your COC and stag on for a few more years, maybe you never will be.

Same goes if you feel you are not up to an appointment, such as CSM and wish to move on to something more comfortable. It demonstrates lack of moral fibre to refuse.

Arent you worrying over something years before you are likely to have to make such a decision to turn down three stripes?
 
#19
hoohenners said:
Arent you worrying over something years before you are likely to have to make such a decision to turn down three stripes?
Absolutely, there's no need to worry about something that may not even happen anyway.....

One thing I'd say holds true over the Army is that you never know what is coming next! One of the most talented blokes I ever met surprised everyone when he turned down a rank - he had very good reason and trust me, it didn't harm his career :p

I'd say its a fairly rare event for someone to turn down promotion but as a young lad don't get all too hung up about it at this stage. Unless they drop one or are complete duffers, I reckon that when you reach your 15 year point, most of the lads left from your basic will be very similar ranks indeed, perhaps give or take only a year or two in rank seniority! :wink:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top