Promotion held up due to chip on shoulder?

Discussion in 'Reports & Promotion' started by qwerty12345, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First, the facts:
    I'm TA. I don't do it for the money, but for the enjoyment. However, the enjoyment is starting to wane as detailed below...

I've currently got three reports in rank with recommendation for promotion. The latest says that I should be promoted immediately. However, due to a minor problem on tour (which was rectified, resulting in a good insert slip) which got back to my TA OC, he's now holding back on promotion. For various reasons since I joined this unit, he's come up with reasons to hold off on my promotion, and this seems to be the latest excuse.

My question is, can my career be held up like this on what is essentially down someone having been pissed off? One incident, yet the reports which summarise me as a whole indicate that promotion should be forthcoming. The money isn't the issue, nor is the new rank to be honest. I'm just starting to get a bit disillusioned as I've put in a lot of effort, including a short notice tour and I'm still not getting anywhere. I'm now about two years behind my peers who have already been promoted. I'm missing out on reports in the next rank which could affect future prospects.
  2. The best thing to do mate is walk into your OC's office and chop your head off in front of him. That'll teach the rotter.
  3. You're in the TA, you don't have a 'career'.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If that is the case, we might as well forget about ranks. The TA could just all be private soldiers.
  5. You said you're not interested in the rank or the money - why do you want to be promoted?

Is it because you want a more challenging role, or because your ego is bruised?

Perhaps you should talk to your boss, or sound out a few seniors in your unit over a quiet beer. But be prepared to hear things you don't like.
  6. It looks like either your OC is a throbber, or you are.
    OC's are moved every few years so if the OC changes and you still dont get promoted you know where the problem lays.
    In the mean time keep doing your best and dont whine on about it.
  7. I didn't get on with one of my bosses once, as he was a ******* gimp. I just punched him in the grid in the bar one night. I got posted out of the unit, and I didn't get promoted, but I wasn't arrsed. The satisfaction was all I needed.
  8. The Mystic Meg is strong in this one. You don't work in main Building do you?
  9. Some **** I made cry gave me such a shit write-up it guaranteed that I could not even be considered for promotion for the following two years. I did it for the enjoyment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. So, to answer your question, yes.
  10. Promotion opens up further opportunities for me.
  11. Yep. Promotion has a tendency to do that.
  12. Back in the day, as a Lance Jack, the Old Man sent off a Confidential in my name( Cpls only in dem der days)
    back comes a Signal "This man is only a Lcpl" "Well, he SHOULD be a Cpl." Promotion and posted. Job done!
  13. Nor do I, but I do have a carer.
  14. Hang on, a wee drop, are you ENTITLED to a carer?
  15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not a great start.

And to think that you will be part of the 30% of the British Army that will be deploying in fully trained formed units on combat operations.....