promotion board....what is the score????

Discussion in 'Reports & Promotion' started by onthesofa, Apr 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im a substansive cpl and have been for 3 and half years. i have a sgt qual as a javelin section commander. each of my cr's have been awesome yet im told that i wont make the cpl-sgt board????? what else do i need to do!!!!

2. You should be sub rank for 4 years.
    Have you done your CLM?
    There are various twists with the transition to CLM 08 however if its not done you won't go to the board.

Without knowing all your details we can only guess! Have you been to see your RCMO?

3. Are they though? Don't just judge it by the grade. The 2nd ROs wording and comments carry more sway.

Are you suitably qualified and have enough time served substantively in rank? A lack of these two factors won't even get you boarded so you're SJAR makes little difference (although if you do have good write ups, its always a good thing for when you do get boarded).

Surely speaking to your 1st RO or CoC would give you the answers you're after?

4. so basically i need to have 4 cr's under my belt.
    i have spoken to rcmo and he said i wouldnt be considered until i get PSBC done...which personally i think is crap.

cheers for the reply.

5. So basically you've wasted a little bit of the internet with this question?

You've already been told what the system is by the RCMO but you elected to ask Arrse purely because you think the system is 'crap'. :roll:

You're mistaking 'qualified' with 'suitable'.

6. Your correct, 4 CR's/SJAR required and education is now very important, make sure you are up to date with CLM or you wont go to the board. PSBC isnt an issue if you have a Sgt qual cse then thats it.

1,four x CR/SJAR
    2,Education - CLM (Is now a must)
    3,Qualified - large list of courses can give you this.

If you require any further info PM me.

7. to "the borderer" thanks alot for your answers.
    the reason why i posted this was cause i have seen mates from differents in the same sort of situation however had a lot clearer advice from their chain of command.

8. You do not need to do your CLM before you get promoted, normally you can not get on your CLM until you promoted. Unsure what the rules are for your corps, you should check MS Web on the Army Net.

9. You need to have done your CLM part 1 (Arms and Services) for Sub promotion. Parts 2 and 3 are done in the new rank. Your RCMO will have all the relevant information

10. Yes you do-
    1. On being selected for promotion to Cpl you will be granted acting rank.
    2. Once part 1 CLM08 is complete you gain sub rank backdated to promotion date.
    3. You should complete parts 2 & 3 within 12 months of part 1.
    4. You must have completed part 3 before you can go to the Sgt board. Soldiers who already have sub rank due to time served must complete part 2 & 3 before going to the board. The transition period is over anyone promoted to Cpl after Jan 04 who has not completed any CLM will have to do all 3 parts before being considered.
    5. 4 CR/SJAR in Cpl rank.
    6. Be recommended.
    7. Have a qualifying course.

If you have all of the above you can go to the Cpl -Sgt promotion board.
    The CLM08 can be complicated, MS have given direction as well as AEC direction and several DIN's for direction. Always consult with your RCMO if you are unsure.

11. The bloke is already a sub cpl so he do not need to do the Cpl CLM, anyway it is all Irrelevant as he have not served time in his rank to get promoted to Sgt, next year maybe, if he get's selected then he will have to do his SNCO CLM.

12. You still have to do CLM even though he has Sub rank he must complete Pt 2 &3 to go to the board or no one would ever do Pt 2 & 3 as you get sub rank after Pt 1. The transition phase is over you must complete CLM.

13. I don't think your are getting the point. He would have done his JNCO CLM before he got his sub, so he will not have to do his CLM again, as the new CLM did not come out until 08. If he gets selected this year to Sgt, then he will have to do the SNCO and if he wanted to get promoted to the next rank he will have to esure to completes all parts of the CLM.

14. Not quite true lots of soldiers did not complete any of the old clm and if only the A & S of the old clm was done you must complete pt 2 & 3 of clm 08, you should read the transition guidelines and the MS direction.
    At no point has he stated what CLM he has completed. I have discovered soldiers with more than 2 years A/Cpl due to op tours. This has now all been rectified within the Bn but there are still several states of CLM and the rquirements needed before you can be cosidered for promotion.

15. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE COMPLETED JUNIOR CLM.
    THERE CLEARLY IS ALOT OF CONFUSION....WHICH I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND ON THIS SUBJECT....I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU ONLY NEEDED 3 SJARS TO SIT BEFORE THE BOARD. CLEARLY AS POINTED OUT IT IS FOUR THAT IS REQUIRED....THE CLM IS AN ISSUE AS I DONT KNOW ANYBODY IN MY UNIT WHO WAS LOADED ON TO SENIOR CLM UNTIL THEY HAD GAINED PROMOTION TO SGT.