promotion board....what is the score????

im a substansive cpl and have been for 3 and half years. i have a sgt qual as a javelin section commander. each of my cr's have been awesome yet im told that i wont make the cpl-sgt board????? what else do i need to do!!!!

You should be sub rank for 4 years.
Have you done your CLM?
There are various twists with the transition to CLM 08 however if its not done you won't go to the board.

Without knowing all your details we can only guess! Have you been to see your RCMO?

onthesofa said:
each of my cr's have been awesome yet im told that i wont make the cpl-sgt board????? what else do i need to do!!!!
Are they though? Don't just judge it by the grade. The 2nd ROs wording and comments carry more sway.

Are you suitably qualified and have enough time served substantively in rank? A lack of these two factors won't even get you boarded so you're SJAR makes little difference (although if you do have good write ups, its always a good thing for when you do get boarded).

Surely speaking to your 1st RO or CoC would give you the answers you're after?

so basically i need to have 4 cr's under my belt.
i have spoken to rcmo and he said i wouldnt be considered until i get PSBC done...which personally i think is crap.

cheers for the reply.

onthesofa said:
i have spoken to rcmo and he said i wouldnt be considered until i get PSBC done...which personally i think is crap.

cheers for the reply.
So basically you've wasted a little bit of the internet with this question?

You've already been told what the system is by the RCMO but you elected to ask Arrse purely because you think the system is 'crap'. :roll:

You're mistaking 'qualified' with 'suitable'.

onthesofa said:

cheers for the reply.
Your correct, 4 CR's/SJAR required and education is now very important, make sure you are up to date with CLM or you wont go to the board. PSBC isnt an issue if you have a Sgt qual cse then thats it.

1,four x CR/SJAR
2,Education - CLM (Is now a must)
3,Qualified - large list of courses can give you this.

If you require any further info PM me.

to "the borderer" thanks alot for your answers.
the reason why i posted this was cause i have seen mates from differents in the same sort of situation however had a lot clearer advice from their chain of command.

The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?
There are various twists with the transition to CLM 08 however if its not done you won't go to the board.

Without knowing all your details we can only guess! Have you been to see your RCMO?
You do not need to do your CLM before you get promoted, normally you can not get on your CLM until you promoted. Unsure what the rules are for your corps, you should check MS Web on the Army Net.

You need to have done your CLM part 1 (Arms and Services) for Sub promotion. Parts 2 and 3 are done in the new rank. Your RCMO will have all the relevant information

caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?

You do not need to do your CLM before you get promoted, normally you can not get on your CLM until you promoted. Unsure what the rules are for your corps, you should check MS Web on the Army Net.
Yes you do-
1. On being selected for promotion to Cpl you will be granted acting rank.
2. Once part 1 CLM08 is complete you gain sub rank backdated to promotion date.
3. You should complete parts 2 & 3 within 12 months of part 1.
4. You must have completed part 3 before you can go to the Sgt board. Soldiers who already have sub rank due to time served must complete part 2 & 3 before going to the board. The transition period is over anyone promoted to Cpl after Jan 04 who has not completed any CLM will have to do all 3 parts before being considered.
5. 4 CR/SJAR in Cpl rank.
6. Be recommended.
7. Have a qualifying course.

If you have all of the above you can go to the Cpl -Sgt promotion board.
The CLM08 can be complicated, MS have given direction as well as AEC direction and several DIN's for direction. Always consult with your RCMO if you are unsure.

The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?

Yes you do-
4. You must have completed part 3 before you can go to the Sgt board. Soldiers who already have sub rank due to time served must complete part 2 & 3 before going to the board. The transition period is over anyone promoted to Cpl after Jan 04 who has not completed any CLM will have to do all 3 parts before being considered.
6. Be recommended.

The CLM08 can be complicated, MS have given direction as well as AEC direction and several DIN's for direction. Always consult with your RCMO if you are unsure.
The bloke is already a sub cpl so he do not need to do the Cpl CLM, anyway it is all Irrelevant as he have not served time in his rank to get promoted to Sgt, next year maybe, if he get's selected then he will have to do his SNCO CLM.

caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?

Yes you do-
6. Be recommended.

The bloke is already a sub cpl so he do not need to do the Cpl CLM, anyway it is all Irrelevant as he have not served time in his rank to get promoted to Sgt, next year maybe, if he get's selected then he will have to do his SNCO CLM.
You still have to do CLM even though he has Sub rank he must complete Pt 2 &3 to go to the board or no one would ever do Pt 2 & 3 as you get sub rank after Pt 1. The transition phase is over you must complete CLM.

The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?

Yes you do-
6. Be recommended.

You still have to do CLM even though he has Sub rank he must complete Pt 2 &3 to go to the board or no one would ever do Pt 2 & 3 as you get sub rank after Pt 1. The transition phase is over you must complete CLM.
I don't think your are getting the point. He would have done his JNCO CLM before he got his sub, so he will not have to do his CLM again, as the new CLM did not come out until 08. If he gets selected this year to Sgt, then he will have to do the SNCO and if he wanted to get promoted to the next rank he will have to esure to completes all parts of the CLM.

caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
caerwyn13 said:
The_Borderer said:
Have you done your CLM?

Yes you do-
6. Be recommended.

I don't think your are getting the point. He would have done his JNCO CLM before he got his sub, so he will not have to do his CLM again, as the new CLM did not come out until 08. If he gets selected this year to Sgt, then he will have to do the SNCO and if he wanted to get promoted to the next rank he will have to esure to completes all parts of the CLM.
Not quite true lots of soldiers did not complete any of the old clm and if only the A & S of the old clm was done you must complete pt 2 & 3 of clm 08, you should read the transition guidelines and the MS direction.
At no point has he stated what CLM he has completed. I have discovered soldiers with more than 2 years A/Cpl due to op tours. This has now all been rectified within the Bn but there are still several states of CLM and the rquirements needed before you can be cosidered for promotion.

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE COMPLETED JUNIOR CLM.
THERE CLEARLY IS ALOT OF CONFUSION....WHICH I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND ON THIS SUBJECT....I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU ONLY NEEDED 3 SJARS TO SIT BEFORE THE BOARD. CLEARLY AS POINTED OUT IT IS FOUR THAT IS REQUIRED....THE CLM IS AN ISSUE AS I DONT KNOW ANYBODY IN MY UNIT WHO WAS LOADED ON TO SENIOR CLM UNTIL THEY HAD GAINED PROMOTION TO SGT.

Onthesofa,
your not the only one getting messed about this year. I completed a JMC in early 2003 and was fully qualified to go to the next board under JCLM 2004 but under the new rules I'm not allowed to go to the board this year but was on the last two and was making good progress.
This has come about due to the new JCLM 2008.
I bet the first thing anyone will say is that i should manage my life better but I asked my c of c and ets, rcmo's clark (sgt) and the calculator on the ms web they all said i was qualified for sgt board and that I'd been boarded befoe so i would be again.
I nearly smashed my fist up when I found out that this was about to happen to me.
I don't really mind that i have to do pt 2 & 3 just mind how late in the day the truth came out and that I won't go to the board with my peer's

Griffder

P.s there is a possible 100 bods on my board in the same boat

I am a REME substansive CPL who has got the same problem. I have been substansive since march 05, when the clm came out in 04 i was told i did'nt have to do anything as i had previously done a jmc in 2000. As far as i was concerned i was fully qualified until i had been selected for promotion to sgt. I found out last week that i had'nt been put on to this years promotion board as im now not fully qualified, even though i was fully qualified the previous years. So as i understand it i now wont get a CR to the board until i have done clm pt2&3, which is really frustrating as next year in theory should be the first look at me as "fully qualified". This sets my career back as the last CR's the board have seen have been really good and this years was excellent and probably got me promoted. Is this "fair", because i think something should have been done earlier to flag up failings in the CLM system, and also the army's values and standards because i believe fairness is featured within it's teachings.

CPLIGGLEPIGGLE said:
I am a REME substansive CPL who has got the same problem. I have been substansive since march 05, when the clm came out in 04 i was told i did'nt have to do anything as i had previously done a jmc in 2000. As far as i was concerned i was fully qualified until i had been selected for promotion to sgt. I found out last week that i had'nt been put on to this years promotion board as im now not fully qualified, even though i was fully qualified the previous years. So as i understand it i now wont get a CR to the board until i have done clm pt2&3, which is really frustrating as next year in theory should be the first look at me as "fully qualified". This sets my career back as the last CR's the board have seen have been really good and this years was excellent and probably got me promoted. Is this "fair", because i think something should have been done earlier to flag up failings in the CLM system, and also the army's values and standards because i believe fairness is featured within it's teachings.
This is poor management at unit level, 2008 was a transition year that should have ironed all these problems out. My Bn has the same issues although we did get 99% of them done, it was difficult due to an op tour during the transition period. Your RCMO should be informiing the CoC and they should be putting your career 1st, I know this does not always happen. You should be able to get Pt 2 done almost straight away as you will have done 90% already then you just need to get the the 5 day cse at an ALC.

CPLIGGLEPIGGLE said:
It's worth getting on the phone and doing some serious grovelling to REME desk. Ignore the 1st women who will say there is no hope. Push to speak to KS or the SO1. Did this last week for one of my guys and eventually they allowed him on the board. His case was unusual (been a Cpl on transfer to REME in Pre CLM days, reverted to LCpl and reinstated as Cpl 6 months out of Trg) and they had given him a career review in 06 whilst failing to mention the small issue of the missing CLM. It worked for us so good luck!