Promotion Board and getting out

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by blurryraptor, Apr 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If someone has signed off, and within their year of getting out they come off a promotions board, are they unable to wear the rank of the board they have been selected for.

For example, if they are to get out in Sept 08, and came of the SSgts board this year is it wrong for them not to be given the substantive rank at their work, and all the posts be filled without them being selected?

This means they will not get to wear the rank and not get paid for it - so basically being predjudiced - and what happens if they decide to stay in???

Can ANYONE help - please?

Oh, and this does refer to me - I feel that I am having the 'final' final nail hammered into the coffin - I wont be staying in anyway, but the extra money woud be nice... Why put me forward to the board if they never intended to promote me if I was successful??

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. As far as I am aware your promotion pay would have started from the date when you started wearing it.
    I.e From the date that you took up your new post, which you would have done if you were staying in.
    As you are getting out, therefore no new posting/new job/new responsibility no banana I am afraid.
    You do have my sympathies, but think of all of the lads pissed off for not making the board by one point. You get it and don't want it.
    Good luck in civvy strasse. Unless your missus is on over 35K a year your gonna need all the luck you can get.
    (£1.35 for six eggs in co-op)

3. As far as I am aware your promotion pay would have started from the date when you started wearing it.
    I.e From the date that you took up your new post, which you would have done if you were staying in.
    As you are getting out, therefore no new posting/new job/new responsibility no banana I am afraid.
    You do have my sympathies, but think of all of the lads pissed off for not making the board by one point. You get it and don't want it.
    Good luck in civvy strasse. Unless your missus is on over 35K a year your gonna need all the luck you can get.
    (£1.35 for six eggs in co-op)

4. Your NTT would not have been seen by the board. The board are not allowed to have their desicion swayed by such things. You will be given the rank if you sign back on. But seeing as you are not interested, then why should they pay you the extra money? Would you be willing to go on Op tour during your last six months in service? I doubt it! So why should the Army help you? We have all been screwed over at some point. Just deal with it. Not being nasty, but thats how it is.

5. I may be wrong (I frequently am), but I was under the impression that if you had submitted NTT your CR would not be placed before the board for consideration.
    If that’s the case your selection was a mistake, not for the first time the board screws up.

6. I believe that to be correct.

7. Would your CR not have been written better than what it should have done, just to push you up the gradings, as a kind of Golden Carrot?

8. Thew usual score (in the Corps that i know) is "Withdraw the NTT and you stay selected" continue with your chosen path of civvy St and expect to be de-selected pretty quickly. Once a promotions board has convened i thought that they checked that all those selected were still elegible, ie; not given NTT etc..

Could be wrong as not done MS type stuuff for a while

9. I believe that the rules have changed and that you can be promoted if you have a minimum of 12 months residual service left.

10. Residual service is different to having given NTT.

11. Mmmm, not sure on that one, can anyone else answer?

12. On the front page of a CR all personal details, including formal committed date are unput. The discharge date should've been placed in this box and the board would've been aware of the NTT.

However if an individual gives NTT after the CR is completed and sent to MCM Div, then I believe this becomes RCMO business to inform the relevant MCM Div of the individual's intent from a Retention Interview.

Withdraw NTT and quite possibly remain selected and consequently posted on promotion into a SSgt slot or stick with NTT and stay where you are until discharge, not of course forgetting your resettlement.

12 months residual service from date of promotion as opposed to date of selection are required to be promoted.

Hope this answers your question and good luck for the future.