Promoting Cadets

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by robber25, Jul 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it me or are todays Cadet NCOs a little weak?

It seams to me that Cadets get promoted for making a good cup of tea or being an Instructors favorite!

1. A Cadet should be promoted because they show leadership...not at Detachment level but EVERYWHERE...
    2.They should know their 1* back to front even 2*.
    3.They should be a competant 2/ic of a section
    4.They should pass a junior NCOs cadre.
    5.They should distance themselves from the troops when working.
    6.Be fit and make it their duty to remain fit.

im fed up with Officers/Instructors giving away chevrons to any old ******** who can march in a straight line....
    build up their knowledge and confidence first before promotion........i know Cadets with no rank who have been on their 4* because their staff have thought they were not up for promotion......well done to them....keep the standards...
  2. Original Post Deleted
  3. Fairplay to you and your Company.....keep em working hard!
  4. i prefer to promote on merit and skills as well personality ! , that way the chances of them being busted back down is slim, sometimes it is good thing for them to feel thay can come to me for advice especially discipline matters, i always empathise that they are in an exclusive club and the other NCOs should support each other and have regular briefings with me, leaders can be made as there is not enough of them being born.
    so i make leaders out of NCOs which should stand them in good stead in life.
  5. The Cadet CSM of one of our Coy's, not my specific Coy thankfully, is of a very poor standard. While being a very intelligent person I'm sure, he has no leadership ability, not even physical stature to fall back on. He is lucky that the NCO's below him are in general very good and very much carry this guy. It is something that irrates me no end that cadets seem not to be promoted on their ability to lead, and lead by example.
  6. Gotta agree, some of the people on my SCIC were madly stupid, but were all Sgt's or above!!! Out of interest, how many other company's run NCO cadre's? My coy does but I know some people who didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them.
  7. what was ever wrong with promoting people by seniority/year or is that just the ccf?
  8. Believe that is just the CCF. When I was a cadet (many moons ago) promotion veried from det to det. One det comd handed out stripes will nily. As soon as they had passed 1* LCpl, 2 * Cpl etc. The det looked good on paper but was pretty crap when it came to performance. In the Army there is a lot of bitterness over people getting promoted on time served alone. The AGC are a good example of what happens if you promoted everybody. You get people in senior ranks who don't know their jobs in side out and it all goes tits up when it matters.
  9. To be honest I agree with most things that Robber has said. Too many DCs are exercising their new found powers to promote their favourites or on time served other than those who show great potential to be NCOs. I was and still am the senior cadet at my detachment and was promoted after alot of proving myself and after the Coy OC enquired as to why I hadn't been promoted (my DCs excuse being that there were too many NCOs). Since my promotion the remainder of the NCO team left for one reason or another leaving the detachment with a lack of NCOs.. but instead of waiting it out and promoting those who seriously deserve promoting... there was a rapid promotion of four more NCOs. Only two of which I would have thought deserved it and one of which was the longest serving but must unruley cadet you have seen, he caused more trouble than the rest of the cadets put together and for some reason managed to get his chevron.

I do however, disagree with the point that you should distance yourself from the cadets.... far from it. Remember that this is a youth organisation as much as a military organisation. I do not stay in the ACF for the shining reference, I stay in the ACF as I enjoy it... I enjoy making new friends and the immense bond with your comrades. I have a rather social relationship with all of 'my' cadets, I am their friend (until they do something wrong) and unless we're on parade then they are more than welcome to talk to me like their friend. It is because of this that I have the respect of my team mates and that we are such a good team. Create large rifts between the NCOs and the Cadets and the Cadets will just resent the NCOs, and i'm not in the organisation to be resented!!!

Hope this makes sense... been a long day at work and it's getting late

Smiler :)
  10. I did CCf some years ago and they did not promote by seniority.

11. I would agree with some of these points - I have found it very difficult to maintain standards with promotion of my cadets as there are unequal standards throughout the County.

I have always been very strict with cadets - they don't get a tape until they prove they can do the job and have been on a unit run NCOs cadre. Consequently, I have been rewarded with trouble free camps and NCOs that can be relied on. This, however, had been over-shadowed on Company level Camps where my unit see cadets that are nowhere near as good as them sporting stripes and this causes a bit of resentment. So far, they realise that the standards are there for a reason and I hope that this continues.

I would not set a standard for 2 star Level / JCICs etc to be passed before promotion - This would be ideal if all cadets were the same age when joining but I've had a few late starters who, are ready to take on NCO responsibility straight after 1 star.

Distancing from other cadets doesn't work either - this has already been commented on by Catterick Smiler and i'll back up what he says.

Fitness of NCOs is an interesting issue. Cadets have different strengths and weaknesses and can be leaders without being able to TAB for Britain. Some might be really good at teaching - others may be great leaders in the field and abysmal at teaching. The important thing for NCOs is for them to set an example and put their best effort into everything they do, whether they are good at it or not. That is what will gain the respect of their fellow cadets, not whether they can outdo them in a run or not.
  12. im sorry but i would not promote somone who was a fat knackker who was great at teaching first aid!
    all cadet nco's should be able to hold their own and be a shining example to new recruits and non ranks...
    your NCO's should be able to walk into any ACF unit in the country and command respect..
    for too long have i seen promotion for people who are poor at their for making training more challenging then fun!
  13. im sorry but i would not promote somone who was a fat knackker who was great at teaching first aid!
    all cadet nco's should be able to hold their own and be a shining example to new recruits and non ranks...
    your NCO's should be able to walk into any ACF unit in the country and command respect..
    for too long have i seen promotion for people who are poor at their for making training more challenging than fun!
  14. Now, I was never a cadet, but...
    Could you not make it both given that, at the end of the day, the ACF is a youth organisation, and not actually part of the Army itself?
  15. Robber - Can I remind you of the Charter of the ACF

The ACF is a National Voluntary Youth Organisation. It is sponsored by the Army and provides challenging military, adventurous and community activities.
    Its aim is to inspire young people to achieve success in life with a spirit of service to the Queen, their country and their local community and to develop in them the qualities of a good citizen.

The Aim is achieved by:
    a. Providing progressive cadet training, often of a challenging and exciting nature to foster confidence, self reliance, initiative, loyalty and a sense of service to other people.
    b. Encouraging the development of personal powers of practical leadership and the ability to work successfully as a member of a team.
    c. Stimulating an interest in the Army, its achievements, skills and values.
    d. Advising and preparing those considering a career in the Services or with the Reserve Forces.

Its strange but I don't see anything in that about the Cadets having to be hard physical warriors to make good leaders.

My aim as an instructor is to develop the good qualities in all my cadets - whether that be fitness or not. You're not exactly going to improve confidence of a cadet by not promoting him if he's got good leadership qualities but is not as fit as others.

And as for walking into units and commanding respect - Personally, on an instructor level, I respect the rank but not the person until I have see how they interact and perform with the cadets. Cadets are much the same - NCOs will get the respect they deserve from others when they are seen to perform to whatever their strengths are.