Projectile Identification

Last edited:
1.5cm diameter? 15mm calibre??? That doesn't seem very likely. 2pdr is 40mm calibre. The Canadians also used a lot of American 37mm.

1.5cm diameter? 15mm calibre??? That doesn't seem very likely. 2pdr is 40mm calibre. The Canadians also used a lot of American 37mm.
15mm is approximate, measured witha rules, I'd think. But yes, I've cocked up there, I read it as 1.5"

Chef

LE
BESA 15mm?

As an aside a ruler rather than a toy car might have been helpful.

15mm is approximate, measured witha rules, I'd think. But yes, I've cocked up there, I read it as 1.5"
Whats the diameter across the driving band ?

BESA 15mm?

As an aside a ruler rather than a toy car might have been helpful.
\Different ogive.
15mm Besa looks remarkably like a Browning .50 cal round.

Only other 15mm round was the German mg151.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Can anyone say what this is?
Weighs 4oz, 8.5cm in length and 1.5 cm diameter, possibly Canadian WW2 origin.
It's from a post on Reddit, the poster wants to know if it's liable to explode.
If it does explode, I suspect the Reddit poster may not be able to inform us of the fact - unless we hold an ARRSE seance...

Wordsmith :twisted:

the poster wants to know if it's liable to explode.
Tell him yes.

Get everyone out of the house and the rest of the street, then inform the Police.

That won’t give you its calibre.
No, but it will tell me if its possibly an MG151 round as opposed to a Hispano job.

Up to you if you wish to ignore an ammunition expert and EOD operator.

Whats it’s location?
Not me, I know what you do. I'd have started with the police before evacuating the neighbourhood.
The other side of the Atlantic, I think.

Can we take that to mean that no-one is going to say it's FFE?

Id go with @dingerr - If the tip appears to be of a different metal - i.e. something that was screwed in, then imho, thats a contact fuse. If the base appears to have a plug then that where the filler went in - it could be nasty. It might be completely hollow inside, but until a chap who knows can verify that, its best to get EOD involved. Who knows - it might just be a inert drill round, but no way of telling on here.

Not me, I know what you do. I'd have started with the police before evacuating the neighbourhood.
The other side of the Atlantic, I think.

Can we take that to mean that no-one is going to say it's FFE?
Theres fück all in it, but cünts have to learn, a street evacuation and the love of his neighbours while they wait a few hours for an EOD team to collect a Small Arms bullet is appropriate.

Latest Threads