Project MUSTARD - the 'other TSR.2'

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cold_Collation, Nov 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I've read about MUSTARD before, and seen it described as another Miles M.52... in that in the 'spirit of cooperation' it was shared with the US, who once they had the plans suddenly found that what they had was too secret to be shared. The Miles M.52, of course, looks very much like the Bell X-1, which went on to break the sound barrier for the first time.

MUSTARD fate's was apparently similar, though I'd love to learn more from those in the know. Some of us would know it as the Space Shuttle.

Anyway, its designer has just died, RIP:

Tom Smith - Telegraph

Why 'the other TSR.2?' Well, just another aerospace project where we were once so far in the lead...

2. Might have been better in Aviation History & Nostalgia.

Sorry, wrong forum. :)

3. Cold_Collation

Indeed.

MODS - feel free to move.

4. They may be good, but I don't think they hold much sway with PPRuNe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cold_Collation

That got first chuckle of the day.

6. I stand to be corrected here but I think the M 52 project was cancelled because the Air Minister of the day did not think a person could survive going supersonic. Vague memory that a close relative may have been killed during a high speed dive when his aircraft suffered mach compression and disintegrated but may be totally wrong on that.

The research that was passed on to the US was the all-moving tailplane which provided much better control than the previous fixed tailplane with conventional elevators. I don't think the design of the X1 had anything to do with the M 52 but was based on the shape of a 30-06 bullet which the designers knew was stable at supersonic speeds.