Project Mosquito

I thought the flying wings were built for fuel efficiency and nothing to do with stealth?

Therefore, the fact a fuel efficient flying wing happens to be stealthy is not a reflection on the Nazis or Jack Northrop being 'ahead of their time'.

I thought the flying wings were built for fuel efficiency and nothing to do with stealth?

Therefore, the fact a fuel efficient flying wing happens to be stealthy is not a reflection on the Nazis or Jack Northrop being 'ahead of their time'.
That’s correct; flying wings have less ‘parasitic drag’ (which I always thought only affected helicopter crews after a few weeks living in the field).

However, a reduced RCS was found to be a side-benefit from some angles.

Regards,
MM

That the designs of Mssrs Horton were immature in comparison to those of Northrop is not disputed. However, I suggest that the working environment and funding which the latter enjoyed during the 1940s was slightly more conducive to refining advanced aircraft designs...

...than those endured by the Horton brothers.

However, the discussion was initiated by your suggestion that it was Jack Northrop was ahead of Horton in 1935. My point is that you were wrong.

Regards,
MM

The Horton was an amateur affair with serious instability issues.
Not helped by one of the Horton Brothers not noticing the tape measure he was using to lay out the plane had 10cm missing off the end.
If you can’t even notice that basic problem with your measuring instrument, quelle surprise your prototypes stayed prototypes like 99% of Germanic aviation wunderwaffe.

And the RAE were rather scathing about the design too.

Indeed, and flying wings were the holy grail by 1910.

But there has been an endless series of claims for decades by the fanboys that the Horton was a stealthy wunderwaffe that could have swept the allies from the skies in 1946.
Along with hypersonic sub orbital bombers, flying saucers and the myriad other German wunderwaffe Blau sky designs.

The Horton was an amateur affair with serious instability issues.
Not helped by one of the Horton Brothers not noticing the tape measure he was using to lay out the plane had 10cm missing off the end.
If you can’t even notice that basic problem with your measuring instrument, quelle surprise your prototypes stayed prototypes like 99% of Germanic aviation wunderwaffe.

And the RAE were rather scathing about the design too.
Once again, I would suggest that many of those issues were due to the impact of allied strategic bombing, the use of unskilled and poorly motivated slave labour, and reliance on damaged factories and increasingly unreliable logistics. In comparison Northrop were of course employing tens and probably hundreds of thousands of well paid, safe and skilled workers in enormous factories enjoying unrestrained US defence funding, free from the risk of bombs.

So I don’t think we should place much weight in any supposed missing piece of a tape measure.

Indeed, I’m rarely disappointed in your desire to pull anecdotal snippets out of thin air in a normally vain attempt to establish some credibility or move the substance of your argument.

Here are some of the classic claims - and marked changes of opinion - that you (or your previous identities of @sunnoficarus, @SOI, @meerkatz etc) have seen you make over the years:

First, Sunnoficarus said...

1. ‘[EMALS]...are now a mature and proven technology.’

2. ‘Australia is still shuffling it's feet about F-35...Expect the US to cut it's order of F-35's in due course. Expect us to order no more than 48...

3. ‘Personally, I'd pull the plug thing...[on F-35]...and buy the Rafale...

Then, as SOI your viewpoint changes 180 degrees...

4. ‘Future sales of F-35? Lots of Thousands...’

5. ‘
We have nothing to learn from the French...

6. ‘...
With the F-35, they are trying to totally integrate the man machine interface across all sensors and senses, including auditory. Its completely immersive...’

Meerkatz meanwhile said...

7. ‘...We don't have to buy...[MV-22}...as I've told you a dozen times...

8. ‘...we'll be getting MV-22's to provide CSAR, COD and AAR on QE and PoW...

9. ‘...an expectation of far more than 9...[RAF]...P-8's in due course...’

...and finally as Photex...

10. ‘...The 262 wasn’t terribly advanced...’

11. ‘...the first operational...[Me262]...sorties were not until August 1944...The Gloster Meteor beat it by a month in July 1944...’

12. ‘...we can't keep borrowing the Cousins CV-22's for ever...’

In doing so you’ve managed to correct luminaries such as Winkle Brown, whose views on the Me262 for instance were rather at variance to - yet inexplicably appear to hold more credibility than - your own.

Ultimately @sunnoficarus, @SOI, @meerkatz, @PhotEx, I suspect most readers would probably rather measure up their new fitted kitchen with a Horten tape measure than trust your bombastic and invariably inaccurate ramblings.

Incidentally, I’m still waiting for a reply to my 5 or 6 requests for you to explain why you need to change your log-on details so regularly.

EDIT: Thinking about it, perhaps we should start a 'Now that's what I call sunnoficarus/SOI/Meerkatz/Photex!' thread with his finest howlers and reversals of opinion!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Latest Threads