Project Managers – Rail Industry - £40,000 - £55,000 – Based in Derby

Are you ready to take on a £400m portfolio of projects?

A challenging leadership role, you’ll have complete oversight of all of your projects. You’ll also be responsible for 2-3 programmes of work, which means around 60 projects over the next 5 years and a portfolio of c. £400 million. Predominantly office based, because you’ll be heavily involved in managing a number of schemes, you’ll need to be clear about prioritising the workload across the project cycle. You’ll be discharging responsibilities through hundreds of people too, so will need to be acurate in terms of team and supply chain resources. You’ll liaise with very senior stakeholders including MP’s on a variety of critical issues ranging from expansive road closures to knocking down a tunnel for rebuild.

Click the link to apply and find out more.
http://www.questonline.co.uk/?page=Vacancy.Details&job_id=365

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
Let me get this straight.

An interesting and challenging job.

A £400 million portfolio over 5 years.

For £55, 000 per annum ?

Really ? And I don't mean that is a good thing. The salary being offered for that level of delivery responsibility is not enough.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'll do it for £250,000 but I'm working from home, need a chauffeur and a limo with a mahogany cocktail cabinet. I also need a company credit card with unlimited expenses. I can start Monday but not early.

Let me get this straight.

An interesting and challenging job.

A £400 million portfolio over 5 years.

For £55, 000 per annum ?

Really ? And I don't mean that is a good thing. The salary being offered for that level of delivery responsibility is not enough.

I've noticed that almost all of these ex forcres recruitment ads on arrse pay peanuts for the skills required.

It's like "lets hire ex squaddies as it's cheaper, they will be great workers and they are already used to crap pay and conditions for doing highly skilled jobs, we'll be quids in"

We should punt any job adverts that take advantage.

Saw one the other week. 18k for an engineer!!! You can earn that stacking shelves.

And who's going to judge what "takes advantage" - you? It's really quite simple. No-one has to apply for any job posted here. Some people might welcome the opportunity to see what's out there. That's why this Jobs forum exists.

And just a reminder it's not the NAAFI before this gets out of hand.

Ouch. That smarted a bit.

[QUOTE"Harry Clampers, post: 6098313, member: 105415"]Let that be a lesson to you; who do you think you are, sharing your opinions on the Internet?

Edited to add :)[/QUOTE]

It will never catch on

Dread

LE
Trains are expensive items of kit. Maybe the project manager has to clean 15 trains in the next 5 years: he'd still have a multi-million quid "portfolio" to look after.

If however the cash budget for each project, when added together = GBP 400m then they'll get some very low quality applicants and realise they have to raise the bar. I'd have offered to do it for 3k per day but then saw the "Derby based" bit and recognise that they are unlikely to be able to afford 9 million quid per day for the next 5 years...

On a more serious note, an average project manager with a company such as PWC/KPMG/Accenture would be paid about GBP 120 - 150k p.a. for this role (while charging the client that +40% +costs).

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
I've noticed that almost all of these ex forcres recruitment ads on arrse pay peanuts for the skills required.

It's like "lets hire ex squaddies as it's cheaper, they will be great workers and they are already used to crap pay and conditions for doing highly skilled jobs, we'll be quids in"

Saw one the other week. 18k for an engineer!!! You can earn that stacking shelves.

I guess that's the point I was making.

A large number of jobs advertised aiming at ex-mil seem to me to be taking advantage of a captive audience.

I agree with ScarySpice ref nobody is invited to apply for these jobs but the fact is some of the salaries on offer are taking the piss.

I've been out for two years and seen this too often. I have also seen the other end of the scale where companies offer fair packages and wedge which matches the skill sets required so the jobs are out there.

For anyone getting out IMHO you should not be working for less than what you were earning when you left, you should negotiate and don't take advertised offers at face value (google this and read up on it) and make sure you are getting wedge commensurate with work/life balance and responsibility.

Trains are expensive items of kit. Maybe the project manager has to clean 15 trains in the next 5 years: he'd still have a multi-million quid "portfolio" to look after.
Trains are expensive - around £1-1.5 million per single car and your average train on your average commuter route consists of 2 to 4 car units.

The job advertised is for Network Rail and they deal with the rail network infrastructure; the train operating companies* clean their own trains.

*Much of the passenger rolling stock is owned by leasing companies who hire them to the TOCs. Some leasing companies conduct all the maintenance, including the in-depth cleaning and graffiti removal, others leave it to the TOCs
If however the cash budget for each project, when added together = GBP 400m then they'll get some very low quality applicants and realise they have to raise the bar. I'd have offered to do it for 3k per day but then saw the "Derby based" bit and recognise that they are unlikely to be able to afford 9 million quid per day for the next 5 years...
On a more serious note, an average project manager with a company such as PWC/KPMG/Accenture would be paid about GBP 120 - 150k p.a. for this role (while charging the client that +40% +costs).
Derby based is rather off-putting I know.

There are plenty of rail industry contract jobs at this level paying £400-900 a day, although mainly at the lower end of the scale.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hark at you lot.

55k is about industry standard for an in house employed PM.

The salaries you lot are quoting are for freelance guys with no holidays, no pension etc. etc.

The in house PM's at my gaff average about 55k a year, while the freelancers and contractors can potentially double that. However they have zero job security, no pension, no annual leave, no sick leave, no company bonuses. They will be the first blokes to be fired when the work dries up, while our in house guys will be quietly moved onto other things within the company.

A large number of jobs advertised aiming at ex-mil seem to me to be taking advantage of a captive audience.

I agree with ScarySpice ref nobody is invited to apply for these jobs but the fact is some of the salaries on offer are taking the piss.
When you look at one or two ex-mil based recruitment agencies' websites you find they have next to no jobs advertised. Obviously a very low client base. Some of the jobs offer really low salaries. For that reason when I'm job hunting I tend to stick to a handful of the main recruitment sites. When you spend enough time job hunting you notice the same jobs advertised on most of the sites anyway.
For anyone getting out IMHO you should not be working for less than what you were earning when you left, you should negotiate and don't take advertised offers at face value
That's all well and good saying you shouldn't earn less than what you were on in the mob, the reality isn't always like that. Most employers don't care that you were in the forces. They will most likely pay the going rate for the job, less if they can, and won't pay you more because you were in the army.

There's dozens, if not hundreds, of people going for the same job and if you demand more than the next bloke who has the same or better qualifications and experience then you, you won't be getting the job.

Get rejected often enough and you'll soon start being more realistic about your expectations and take whatever work comes your way at the salary on offer.

Whilst those in more senior positions in the armed forces with qualifications to match (and with a pension in their sky rocket) can afford to be more choosy, not every one reaches those levels. There are many more private soldiers and JNCOs who have done only a few years and haven't built the portfolio or received academic or trade qualifications that mean they can earn the higher paying jobs.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
Hark at you lot.

55k is about industry standard for an in house employed PM.

The salaries you lot are quoting are for freelance guys with no holidays, no pension etc. etc.

The in house PM's at my gaff average about 55k a year, while the freelancers and contractors can potentially double that. However they have zero job security, no pension, no annual leave, no sick leave, no company bonuses. They will be the first blokes to be fired when the work dries up, while our in house guys will be quietly moved onto other things within the company.

I don't disagree with you Ravers, especially if you get a package including pension , sick pay etc. My point is that some jobs have a level of responsibility way over the pay some companies offer....even with a package.

The OP should not be expecting to pay £55k per annum for a role responsible for a £400m portfolio IMHO. I do not think the salary is commensurate with the responsibility.

Latest Threads