Progressive slowing of Vista boot-up; work-thru available?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Jul 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My old man and mother-in-law each have a near new Acer aspire with Vista home premium as OEM. Both laptops are only used for minimal internet/email, neither has anything significant added to the OEM install. One runs Kaspersky, the other has Systemsuite - neither with any previous problems. Both PCs are well maintained in terms of de-fragging disk & registry, etc.

The boot-up time of both PCs has progressively deteriorated from c. 30 secs down to about 7-10 minutes, including long periods with the "vista black screen".

Looking around the web, this is obviously a very common problem. I've tried most of the solutions that have worked for some people, but to no avail.

- disk defragmented (minimal frag)
    - registry de-frag & fix
    - start menu clean-up (using Startup Commander)
    - delete contents of pre-fetch folder
    - check that AV is not scanning at boot-up (no previous problem here)

I was wondering if anyone has come across either a very good fix-it utility, or a comprehensive work-through that will eliminate the problem?
  2. The only thing I can recommend is some tools from Auslogic. their defraggers are pretty good. I use them quite often but then i'm on XP...

3. msr

msr LE

4. Evidence Eliminator works well, used for deleteing files and other hidden system crap, can get it off most torrent sites :twisted: