Programme BORANO

This is the title for possible withrawal of the ARRC from JHQ and re-location of remaining UKSC(G) and RESG staff from Rheindahlen.

Anyone heard anymore about it - dates - outcome etc

It is more than that as I underestand it. it also encompasses the merger of HQ LAND and HQ AG. Proposed sites are Andover, Upavon, Wilton for various merged HQs.

UQFEGD

pp

I heard that a senior civil servant was head of the programme and that there was areally broad remit given to him, to look at the art of the possible, think outside the box and be radical!!

I have heard that a possible site for ARRC may be RAF Cosford, with a possible plan to create a West-Midlands super garrison eventually.

Outstanding said:
This is the title for possible withrawal of the ARRC from JHQ and re-location of remaining UKSC(G) and RESG staff from Rheindahlen.

Anyone heard anymore about it - dates - outcome etc
Outstanding,

In brief:

The BORONA Programme will determine whether it is feasible to relocate the HQ ARRC, 102 Log Bde and 1 Sig Bde to the UK during the period 2008-2012.

Initial work focussed on two specific locations but this was done purely as a benchmark study and doesn't mean they will be selected as final locations.

The BORONA team will report to MOD in December 2006 and it is unlikely that any final decisions will be announced until well into 2007.

Hope this helps.

PAW

Cosford does have the advantage of being close to Donnington.

But I think it would be a bit small for purpose?

Surely the former RAF Gaydon would be a better site, being a former V-Bomber base?

RAF Stafford is now empty is it not? And what about RAF Shawbury could that not be utilised also plus therers somewere else near Wolverhampton were the crabs do trade training

brettarider said:
RAF Stafford is now empty is it not?
No, there's a Signal Regt in there.

Cosford's near Wolverhampton. Incidentally, how do you train a crab?

"Put your left leg left. Your right leg left. Left Left, Left Left Left..."

I was in JHQ at the weekend, and it just made me what a real anachronism the place is. I really got the feeling that the place is just waiting to close.
Still gutted the NAAFI of baccy and perfume though.

the_guru said:
Still gutted the NAAFI of baccy and perfume though.

Surprised you're still entitled to shop there Guru! ;)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
The BORONA Programme will determine whether it is feasible to relocate the HQ ARRC, 102 Log Bde and 1 Sig Bde to the UK during the period 2008-2012.

Initial work focussed on two specific locations but this was done purely as a benchmark study and doesn't mean they will be selected as final locations.

The BORONA team will report to MOD in December 2006 and it is unlikely that any final decisions will be announced until well into 2007.

PAW
PAW,

I was forecasting this about 5 years ago - just to wind people up: I'm a bit surprised now.

Since you seem to be in the know, any offers as to what is driving it? Money, as ever I suppose, or are there pressing 'operational' reasons for wanting this mighty meaty multi-national HQ to be in the UK?

Stonker said:
any offers as to what is driving it? Money, as ever I suppose, or are there pressing 'operational' reasons for wanting this mighty meaty multi-national HQ to be in the UK?
Hmmmm! Sources hint it's a variety of reasons all gelling together. As always, money is the driver. But other political and operational reasons also have relevance.

ARRC HQ was (and is) a UK corps-level command with international participation. The benefit to the UK is that HMG doesn't have to fully fund and fully man the HQ. The down-side is, it ties up a sizeable chunk of our C3 and they can only be used them with permission from other NATO members. In the 90s it seemed a good idea, now it's just a drain of our resources. Remember, if any ARRC HQ unit deploys on a UK only mission (Telic), the UK has to reassign some equivalent unit to stand-up for ARRC duties!

By bringing ARRC HQ back into the UK, it can be reconfigured as a UK only HQ - thus making it more useful to the UK only orbat. Expect ARRC HQ to rebadged as 1 (BR) Corps (or similar) once more.

Another advantage is that it will free up some sigs assets that will form the basis of the 9th deployable brigade.

Personnally, I think they've got the emphasis wrong, but that's just senior officers maintaining jobs at the very highest level rather than creating posts and formations where they're most needed.

PartTimePongo said:
Cosford does have the advantage of being close to Donnington.

But I think it would be a bit small for purpose?

Surely the former RAF Gaydon would be a better site, being a former V-Bomber base?
Just picked up this thread. The former RAF Gaydon is now largely a housing estate and was a vehicle test track for what is left of the UK Motor Industry - I think!

Englishspringer said:
Any bets on Land to Andover & ARRC to Wilton?
Some years ago they were talking about moving to Andover the organisation (Provisioning?) at Telford that bought stuff like washers and engine spares etc for DGES(A).

But the local Andover economy is very buoyant, and the locals simply will not sign up for CS rates: fortunately, as far as I know, the move never happened. I say fortunate, because the senior military simply would not acknowledge the problem that they would be unable to recruit the civis they needed locally, and the ones already doing the job were almost all 2nd income earners, who were not about to relocate.

If LAND to Andover creates a need for an increased number of civil servants at Andover, there will be a problem, unless every civi at Wilton is prepared to commute.

(Similar problem at Upavon: it's miles from anywhere and eff-all public transport. SO - big surprise after the Army moved in - can never get enough civi staff. (I'm told the RAF did warn us)

I'm sure other examples abound.

On the basis of just those 2 examples, I'm betting that wherever they put it, they're going to have some kind of a a problem - esp. if they pick any former RAF airbase, because they're almost always built where nobody lives.