Prog Rock - rage of the dinosaurs.....

I saw Hawkwind a couple of times in the 70s...I don;t remember too much about it though. The last time, at the old Hammersmith Odeon, it was like sitting inside a giant spliff. If you weren't stoned when you went in you were when you came out... :)
I saw Hawkwind several times at the Royal Court in Liverpool back when they seemed to be permanently on tour. We usually got tickets for down stairs because it was standing, the one occasion we had to go in the circle the house lights going out was followed by huge cloud of cannabis smoke slowly rising up, they opened with seven by seven, I was off my tits before it finished.

Can’t say I ever really got prog rock or psychedelia. It always seemed overblown and pretentious to me. I did see Pink Floyd do The Wall at Earls Court in 1980; quite a show but not exactly high energy.

My 70s concert venue of choice was Granby Halls in Leicester. I was Motörhead there is about 79; loud but not prog? By then I was already addicted to stripped out blues rock; no pretensions just musicianship.

Someone earlier today excluded Yes from the prog rock genre on the basis that they were two guitars and drums. Not sure where that places them, but those two guitars never practiced the ancient art of guitar weaving. IMHO the only good thing about prog was that it created the space for punk as an antidote!

My first gig, Granby Halls, Leicester, 14 years old included this masterpiece of guitar weaving.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...gmM2lalo/RK=2/RS=RWXHxqwLFM5.M1T0V7F2Tz7btaA-

If you get a chance check out Steve Hackett doing the old stuff. Nad Sylvan on vocals. Really good.
Try this one as well:

A Curious Feeling - Tony Banks

One of my all time favourite albums

Can’t say I ever really got prog rock or psychedelia. It always seemed overblown and pretentious to me. I did see Pink Floyd do The Wall at Earls Court in 1980; quite a show but not exactly high energy.

My 70s concert venue of choice was Granby Halls in Leicester. I was Motörhead there is about 79; loud but not prog? By then I was already addicted to stripped out blues rock; no pretensions just musicianship.

Someone earlier today excluded Yes from the prog rock genre on the basis that they were two guitars and drums. Not sure where that places them, but those two guitars never practiced the ancient art of guitar weaving. IMHO the only good thing about prog was that it created the space for punk as an antidote!

My first gig, Granby Halls, Leicester, 14 years old included this masterpiece of guitar weaving.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSbmMZdJNaY4YA5EHpQyE5;_ylu=X3oDMTByYnR1Zmd1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1519641753/RO=10/RU=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zgmM2lalo/RK=2/RS=RWXHxqwLFM5.M1T0V7F2Tz7btaA-
I don't know where you are getting the two guitarists in Yes from? Unless you're counting Chris Squire on 'lead bass'!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A lot of the 70's and 80's bands are still going. And can be pretty good fun to go and watch.

And a surprising number of tribute bands seem to make a good living out of this music - particularly if the originals have died off.

Wordsmith
Exactly. Why, second year running, I have tickets for Australian Pink Floyd Show, Apollo, November.

Zero Alpha has admitted that she likes the music (ought to, we'd been engaged four days when we saw The Wall concert at the Westfalenhalle) and recognised that I've gone to see Eagles and Queen tributes (and Eagles at Wemberlee, 96 and Queen plus Adam Lambert) countless times over the years with her.

Exactly. Why, second year running, I have tickets for Australian Pink Floyd Show, Apollo, November.
70s bands still touring? Off to see Cold Chisel this week in Adelaide. Proper Aussie pub rockers.

Mind, there’s still a few 60s bands on the road and the odd one still filling stadiums. Eleven new dates on the No Filter tour announced today, including Twickenham and Old Trafford. Looks like I’m going to have to be in the UK this summer.

It’s only rock n roll......

Off to see Billy Idol in June. Not a massive fan of his music, but the evening's entertainment value should be high. Nostalgia and a couple of sing along anthems...

Wordsmith
...or Billy "bone" Idol... as one of the DJs on Planet Rock likes to call him...having come up with only three albums in the last 25 years...

I don't like him much either.

[QUOTE="Wordsmith, post: 8280902, member: 52171"]A lot of the 70's and 80's bands are still going. And can be pretty good fun to go and watch.

And a surprising number of tribute bands seem to make a good living out of this music - particularly if the originals have died off.

Wordsmith[/QUOTE]

To demonstrate this and to show the sensitivity of the ad server algorithm I give you my screen when clicking into this thread.
2663F6FB-B122-42EE-A02C-DC8F80A0035A.jpeg

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
70s bands still touring? Off to see Cold Chisel this week in Adelaide. Proper Aussie pub rockers.

Mind, there’s still a few 60s bands on the road and the odd one still filling stadiums. Eleven new dates on the No Filter tour announced today, including Twickenham and Old Trafford. Looks like I’m going to have to be in the UK this summer.

It’s only rock n roll......
‘And the last plane out of Sydney’s almost gone’

[QUOTE="Wordsmith, post: 8280902, member: 52171"]A lot of the 70's and 80's bands are still going. And can be pretty good fun to go and watch.

Wordsmith
To demonstrate this and to show the sensitivity of the ad server algorithm I give you my screen when clicking into this thread.
View attachment 323767 [/QUOTE]
Saw Camel at Salisbury City Hall on their Snow Goose tour in 2016. The only surviving member was (and still is) guitarist Andy Latimer. He has had an interesting alcohol and chemical fuelled life, to say the least. How he is still here is a wonder in itself, but he still plays a mean guitar.

Just listening to 6 Music and the guest was talking about “brutal prog”.

New one on me.

Played a track by a band called Le Orme. I assumed they were new. The music sounded more electronic than proggy.

Looked them up on Wiki and they are from the mid-sixties. Still going apparently.

I found Brit prog hard enough to get to grips with. Nor starting on wop prog.