Prog Rock - rage of the dinosaurs.....

Nice but naughty.

I have never thought JT were prog rock. Started out as a blues rock based band, went a bit wobbly around Thick As A Brick, morphed into folk rock around Minstrel In The Gallery. Despite them probably being my favourite band late sixties/early seventies I gave up at this point.

Ian Anderson says they were blues rock.

Ironically they won the Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Recording in 1989, beating Metallica, Iggy Pop and Janes Addiction. WTF. Most people in the audience started laughing.

When Metallica won it three years later Lars Ulrich thanked Jethro Tull for not releasing an album the previous year (although they actually had).

First proper band I ever saw (rather than pub band). 28 Feb 1971, Kilburn State Gaumont on the Aqualung tour, supported by Steeleye Span.

Hawkwind? Progressive?

Call the Fun Police - have him taken away for re-education!
I’m with you in solidarity Brother Stonk.

Psych rock, hard rock, space rock, electronic rock, acid rock maybe, underground but never prog rock.

I have 41 Hawkwind albums from 1970 to 2003 and have seen them maybe 20 Times (mostly in the seventies) and I have never heard them play anything like Gong, Gentle Giant, Yes etc.

I’m with you in solidarity Brother Stonk.

Psych rock, hard rock, space rock, electronic rock, acid rock maybe, underground but never prog rock.

I have 41 Hawkwind albums from 1970 to 2003 and have seen them maybe 20 Times (mostly in the seventies) and I have never heard them play anything like Gong, Gentle Giant, Yes etc.
I saw Hawkwind a couple of times in the 70s...I don;t remember too much about it though. The last time, at the old Hammersmith Odeon, it was like sitting inside a giant spliff. If you weren't stoned when you went in you were when you came out... :)

I saw Hawkwind a couple of times in the 70s...I don;t remember too much about it though. The last time, at the old Hammersmith Odeon, it was like sitting inside a giant spliff. If you weren't stoned when you went in you were when you came out... :)
I guess Gentle Giant are the epitome of prog rock.

I used to swap cassettes of new music we liked with a mate who cleared of to the Isle of Uist. He was a big GG fan and his tapes were usually full of guitar noodling, orchestras, synth wibbling and wizards.

He sent me a tape once and the last track was by GG. He asked me if I had heard it. Errrhh, umm, not yet Vince. Why don’t you give it a listen.

So I did.

I give you the best ever track by a prog band.

Pink Floyd, you need about 3 free days to listen to one track, they drone on that much, and probably about 6 cases of beer and 50gm of heroin.

And possibly an egg and sausage buttie.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I still like Floyd. And I’ve probably said it before having seen Floyd and Gilmour. I think I much prefer the Waters incarnation and take on things.

Pink Floyd, you need about 3 free days to listen to one track, they drone on that much, and probably about 6 cases of beer and 50gm of heroin.

And possibly an egg and sausage buttie.
Make up your mind, FFS

Drugs or cholesterol?

Do you wanna die thin, or fat?

Can't have it both ways, FFS.

Early Genesis for me.

Supper's Ready was limited in length only by the technology that 25 minutes was as much as they could fit on one side of an LP.

I vaguely remember hearing an interview where it was mooted that they might well have doubled the length if they could have got 50 minutes on a side.

Genesis with Gabriel -- Supper's Ready
Supper's Ready - Collins, 1977

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Early Genesis for me.

Supper's Ready was limited in length only by the technology that 25 minutes was as much as they could fit on one side of an LP.

I vaguely remember hearing an interview where it was mooted that they might well have doubled the length if they could have got 50 minutes on a side.

If you get a chance check out Steve Hackett doing the old stuff. Nad Sylvan on vocals. Really good.

Hmm

Here we are in the 21st century.

25 minutes of Supper's Ready vs 5 minutes of Brit-award-winner Stormzy?

You choose.

Not having to like that twat's outpourings almost makes me glad to be getting old :)

Early Genesis for me.

The version on Steve Hackett live at Hammersmith comes in at just over 26 minutes and instead of fading to nothing like the original, has a storming extended guitar solo at the end - wonderful stuff!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Cropredy a year or two back. They went into ‘Theres always been Ethel’ and the crowd sung along ‘Jacob wake up.............’ great show.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the trainees wandered in last week. I donated a hard drive of old fart stuff for his collection. I dig up Van Morrison stuff he hasn’t heard yet.
He gave me half a dozen Public service broadcasting CDs. Interesting.
Dog doesn’t like them.

4AF58095-EA66-4C92-AC01-1710896D7332.jpeg

Just arrived today - published last week. Wondrous Stories - a journey through the landscape of Progressive Rock, by Jerry Ewing, editor of Prog Rock magazine.
It’s hardback, full of great pictures, album covers and reviews of classic Prog albums. Also considers all the different genres in Prog Rock. Looks ace! :smile:
9B818570-B145-4D5F-B547-6671BD735555.jpeg

I don’t think I have posted this in this thread.

All prog rock dinosaurs can relive the glorious days of the early seventies here:
FEBRUARY 1971

The colour will probably make your eyes bleed but as a source of news (as was), gigs, album releases, reviews etc it is priceless.

And I thought I was a bit of a spod! This bloke is obsessed.

Don’t blame me if you enter the time portal and emerge in three days time suffering acid flashbacks and thinking WTF happened to me?

Although that might just have been me.

Last edited:
View attachment 323700
Just arrived today - published last week. Wondrous Stories - a journey through the landscape of Progressive Rock, by Jerry Ewing, editor of Prog Rock magazine.
It’s hardback, full of great pictures, album covers and reviews of classic Prog albums. Also considers all the different genres in Prog Rock. Looks ace! :smile: View attachment 323701
The long haired, loon panted equivalent of "100Years of Crab Air", as purchased just now, by Mrs S, for her Beatles-generation, ex Air Force pater.

The long haired, loon panted equivalent of "100Years of Crab Air", as purchased just now, by Mrs S, for her Beatles-generation, ex Air Force pater.
Oi. You.

Nothing wrong with long hair and loon pants.

Army greatcoat (left over from ACF days, thanks dad), Biba t-shirt with butterflies sewn onto it, “baseball shoes” with bits coloured in. Loons were Levi’s with felt inserted into the bottom leg bits to flare them out.

De rigeur then. Cnut territory nowadays.