Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Profiteering

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
We have all seen it to some degree over the last few months with the odd small increase, this doesn't bother me too much, but it's the shops taking the increases they make to extreme levels that is really making me angry. I have no wish to accuse outright or for others to get into a dodgy situation doing the same.
What I will do is do a price compare in shops or.places I have had to go to.
The first comparison is unfortunately my local pharmacy attached to my local medical.centre in Houghton Regis. This galls me because the people working there are actually really nice and.one pharmacist quit.because of the changes, we had a chat I hospital while I recovered from another heart attack last week and.where she was helping out.
Just before xmas.I bought a 250ml bottle of sanitizing hand gel ( d&v in house) and it cost me £1.80. Towards end of Feb it had gone up to £5. 100 latex gloves which I buy for clearing up after my dog used to costs £1.50 and went up to £5. Surgical mask were, told to me but NOT confirmed, £2 for 50 and also up to £5. I used to buy my son 4 bars of petrol soap for £2 until jan. Then in Feb it was £150 per bar and £2 in march. I could to a degree forgive this but now they are charging £1 for a single surgical mask. Prices are set by the main pharmacy in Dunstable. I shall be taking my business elsewhere which makes life harder for me because my mobility is down, I have a blocked artery and waiting for bypass surgery, hopefully not too long because i feel it getting worse. I don't know if this post and request for similar instances, no names, is ok so if the mods wish to remove it or move it I have no problems. I'm no Angel with plenty of double standards but what's happening in some of our shops gets to me it goes against my few remaining morals not to speak out about places increasing price for profit for something that could save a life.

And, presumably, had you found a store of under-priced contraband, you'd have stopped at nothing to share your largess and general good fortune with the rest of us.

We have all seen it to some degree over the last few months with the odd small increase, this doesn't bother me too much, but it's the shops taking the increases they make to extreme levels that is really making me angry. I have no wish to accuse outright or for others to get into a dodgy situation doing the same.
The first comparison is unfortunately my local pharmacy attached to my local medical.centre in Houghton Regis. This galls me because the people working there are actually really nice and.one pharmacist quit.because of the changes, we had a chat I hospital while I recovered from another heart attack last week and.where she was helping out.
Just before xmas.I bought a 250ml bottle of sanitizing hand gel ( d&v in house) and it cost me £1.80. Towards end of Feb it had gone up to £5. 100 latex gloves which I buy for clearing up after my dog used to costs £1.50 and went up to £5. Surgical mask were, told to me but NOT confirmed, £2 for 50 and also up to £5. I used to buy my son 4 bars of petrol soap for £2 until jan. Then in Feb it was £150 per bar and £2 in march. I could to a degree forgive this but now they are charging £1 for a single surgical mask. Prices are set by the main pharmacy in Dunstable. I shall be taking my business elsewhere which makes life harder for me because my mobility is down, I have a blocked artery and waiting for bypass surgery, hopefully not too long because i feel it getting worse. I don't know if this post and request for similar instances, no names, is ok so if the mods wish to remove it or move it I have no problems. I'm no Angel with plenty of double standards but what's happening in some of our shops gets to me it goes against my few remaining morals not to speak out about places increasing price for profit for something that could save a life.

Regardless of everything else, good luck getting your ticker sorted.

I shall be taking my business elsewhere which makes life harder for me because my mobility is down
Can't say I blame you. Has Lloyd's Pharmacy in Bedford Square got what you want? It's just over the road and the car park outside the church is generally empty these days.

Unremarkable

War Hero
...I recovered from another heart attack last week...
...I have a blocked artery and waiting for bypass surgery, hopefully not too long because i feel it getting worse.
First, well done and congratulations on your recovery thus far. God speed and all the very best for your bypass.

£150 per bar of soap does seem to be taking the piss...

IIRC you can contact the LA TS if you think someone is taking the piss.

Limited options even then. I was on patrol in early March, when this was all kicking off, and found someone with a hand cart full of about 20-30ml hand sanitizer bottles he was flogging for £2 each. We checked him out and he had a pedlars licence. Two minutes later there was a feeding frenzy round him, and some little old lady spent £10 with him.
We contacted trading standards and they said the only time they could do anything was if it looked fake, or there was evidence it was bent.

Rather subversive cynical profiteering at Tes-con yesterday.
Picked up 2 packs of "lean"cubed beef that cost £8.40p. I got in after around a 5 minute wait so no worries there.
Looked fine till I got it home, took the top visible layers out to expose very second division "meat" that was probably 30%/40% minimum connective tissue & grist. The sort of shit you'd expect in cheap sausages.
Took it back to the door by which time the usual Q's had formed, and handed it back with my receipt, which was processed and got my money back.
Bastards.

Rather subversive cynical profiteering at Tes-con yesterday.
Picked up 2 packs of "lean"cubed beef that cost £8.40p. I got in after around a 5 minute wait so no worries there.
Looked fine till I got it home, took the top visible layers out to expose very second division "meat" that was probably 30%/40% minimum connective tissue & grist. The sort of shit you'd expect in cheap sausages.
Took it back to the door by which time the usual Q's had formed, and handed it back with my receipt, which was processed and got my money back.
Bastards.
Did you ask for your a refund or did you make a proper complaint? If you make a proper complaint there's a chain of questions right back to the meat processing plant. Tesco does take being sent crap by their suppliers seriously.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Did you ask for your a refund or did you make a proper complaint? If you make a proper complaint there's a chain of questions right back to the meat processing plant. Tesco does take being sent crap by their suppliers seriously.

No I did not.
Never thought if I'm honest.
Was just a bit pissed off you know?
I always get brilliant service & quality from the in-store butcher counter staff, but it's closed at the moment.

No I did not.
Never thought if I'm honest.
Was just a bit pissed off you know?
I always get brilliant service & quality from the in-store butcher counter staff, but it's closed at the moment.
Us counter staff can't wait to get back. Just qualified as a fishmonger and had started butcher training, cant wait to resume.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Us counter staff can't wait to get back. Just qualified as a fishmonger and had started butcher training, cant wait to resume.

Do me a couple of favours then, A) If they have a cleaver, learn how to use it. I've seen some of the counter staff use a butcher's knife (see 1st pic) and a baton to get through bone & B) Please learn how to cut steaks from the joint, I went into one store, saw a 3" thick piece of Rib Eye, asked for it to be cut in half with this result (see 2nd pic)
1589115104576.png

1589115058961.png

Do me a couple of favours then, A) If they have a cleaver, learn how to use it. I've seen some of the counter staff use a butcher's knife (see 1st pic) and a baton to get through bone & B) Please learn how to cut steaks from the joint, I went into one store, saw a 3" thick piece of Rib Eye, asked for it to be cut in half with this result (see 2nd pic)
View attachment 472593

View attachment 472592
That's the untrained counter staff covering for the butchers on break. I'm (was) on boning and still very much watch and learn, the secret is being grownup enough to ask for help if you're not sure rather than showing off skills I don't have.

Latest Threads