Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Profiteering

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
We have all seen it to some degree over the last few months with the odd small increase, this doesn't bother me too much, but it's the shops taking the increases they make to extreme levels that is really making me angry. I have no wish to accuse outright or for others to get into a dodgy situation doing the same.
What I will do is do a price compare in shops or.places I have had to go to.
The first comparison is unfortunately my local pharmacy attached to my local medical.centre in Houghton Regis. This galls me because the people working there are actually really nice and.one pharmacist quit.because of the changes, we had a chat I hospital while I recovered from another heart attack last week and.where she was helping out.
Just before xmas.I bought a 250ml bottle of sanitizing hand gel ( d&v in house) and it cost me £1.80. Towards end of Feb it had gone up to £5. 100 latex gloves which I buy for clearing up after my dog used to costs £1.50 and went up to £5. Surgical mask were, told to me but NOT confirmed, £2 for 50 and also up to £5. I used to buy my son 4 bars of petrol soap for £2 until jan. Then in Feb it was £150 per bar and £2 in march. I could to a degree forgive this but now they are charging £1 for a single surgical mask. Prices are set by the main pharmacy in Dunstable. I shall be taking my business elsewhere which makes life harder for me because my mobility is down, I have a blocked artery and waiting for bypass surgery, hopefully not too long because i feel it getting worse. I don't know if this post and request for similar instances, no names, is ok so if the mods wish to remove it or move it I have no problems. I'm no Angel with plenty of double standards but what's happening in some of our shops gets to me it goes against my few remaining morals not to speak out about places increasing price for profit for something that could save a life.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
would this be better in the covid forum?

D

Deleted 164106

We have all seen it to some degree over the last few months with the odd small increase, this doesn't bother me too much, but it's the shops taking the increases they make to extreme levels that is really making me angry. I have no wish to accuse outright or for others to get into a dodgy situation doing the same.
The first comparison is unfortunately my local pharmacy attached to my local medical.centre in Houghton Regis. This galls me because the people working there are actually really nice and.one pharmacist quit.because of the changes, we had a chat I hospital while I recovered from another heart attack last week and.where she was helping out.
Just before xmas.I bought a 250ml bottle of sanitizing hand gel ( d&v in house) and it cost me £1.80. Towards end of Feb it had gone up to £5. 100 latex gloves which I buy for clearing up after my dog used to costs £1.50 and went up to £5. Surgical mask were, told to me but NOT confirmed, £2 for 50 and also up to £5. I used to buy my son 4 bars of petrol soap for £2 until jan. Then in Feb it was £150 per bar and £2 in march. I could to a degree forgive this but now they are charging £1 for a single surgical mask. Prices are set by the main pharmacy in Dunstable. I shall be taking my business elsewhere which makes life harder for me because my mobility is down, I have a blocked artery and waiting for bypass surgery, hopefully not too long because i feel it getting worse. I don't know if this post and request for similar instances, no names, is ok so if the mods wish to remove it or move it I have no problems. I'm no Angel with plenty of double standards but what's happening in some of our shops gets to me it goes against my few remaining morals not to speak out about places increasing price for profit for something that could save a life.
Is it profiteering, or is it an increase in wholesale costs, that are then being passed on?

Is it profiteering, or is it an increase in wholesale costs, that are then being passed on?
Thereby encouraging others to supply the market and reduce prices, whilst at the same time encouraging more restrained use of existing resources? Why yes!

there's been a few bob spent on plastic screens, staff ppe, man on the door in some places ect...

the retailers are going to move prices up when they people are prepared to wait in line to get in

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The price of everything has increased in the past couple of months apart from domestic heating oil which is now 17p a litre instead of 46p in March. Anyway, I do sympathise with you mate but have to ask: what is petrol soap?

I'm putting together a little scheme helping people get back to work; I'll charge a modest fee.

Am I (a) a helpful soul, providing a useful service in a stressful time ir (b) an opportunistic bastard?

The other day was in the local chinatown, the Chinese supermarket was selling Detol soap for £1.80 for two bars. The pharmacy nearby, same thing for £3.80. As the pharmacy had a window display with all sorts of covid19 related items (iso-propyl alcohol, disposable gloves and surgical masks) thought would buy some while I had opporunity. £45 for box of fifty masks or £1 each (decided to get ten). They used to say a robber wears a mask, now it seems they sell them.

Norfolkred1

Clanker
I do agency driving so when I pop in for the odd day the boss says help yourself to PPE, masks, gloves, shields and hand gel. Now they do know I'm ex-Forces and saying help yourself is not the type of thing to be saying is it, they only have themselves to blame.

endure

GCM
... and would anyone like to buy my face mask, only £99.99 mates' rates to Arrsers.

£500 to @Helm

gimp.jpg

Latest Threads