Profiling Possible Terrorist

Just listened to Simon Hughes (liberal Mp) on any questions on Radio 4.

Vacuous populising insignificant cnut makes bottler Brown look decisive.

didn't hear the interview, but any politician saying something sensible would be news, vacuous populism is simply the norm now.

In reference to the thread title, why do all the media stick the the PC crap of going on about "profiling"? Tell it how it is, targetting the security effort at the relevant loons-de-jour, ie Muslims.

Not all Muslims are terrorists.
Most terrorists ARE Muslims.
So there.

creepy said:
So there.

Therefore in order not to offend terrorists mainly white elderly Christian women will be searched :wink:

I also didn't hear the interview and so couldn't comment on it.

However the majority of opinions that I have heard about profiling all slightly miss the point.

Yes, a majority of terrorists threats to Britain are carried out by Muslims.

However - from what back ground/class/education/specific cults of Islam/ etc.

It's all very well identifying Muslims as a threat. But this parameter is enough to identify threat on it's own. The implied arguement is that there should be a seperate airport security system for Muslims. This reminds be slightly of a certain country in the southern tip of Africa.

It would, I suspect, take too long and cost too much for airport security(globally) to run specific checks on every Islamic passenger.

Might I suggest those Nigerians paying cash to fly from Yemen to the US, via Amsterdam, with no check-in luggage would be a good place to start?

gimpmask said:
I also didn't hear the interview and so couldn't comment on it.

However the majority of opinions that I have heard about profiling all slightly miss the point.

Yes, a majority of terrorists threats to Britain are carried out by Muslims.

However - from what back ground/class/education/specific cults of Islam/ etc.

It's all very well identifying Muslims as a threat. But this parameter is enough to identify threat on it's own. The implied arguement is that there should be a seperate airport security system for Muslims. This reminds be slightly of a certain country in the southern tip of Africa.

It would, I suspect, take too long and cost too much for airport security(globally) to run specific checks on every Islamic passenger.
So you're in favour of searching white elderly Christian women then ?

MikeMcc said:
Might I suggest those Nigerians paying cash to fly from Yemen to the US, via Amsterdam, with no check-in luggage would be a good place to start?
Especially if said Nigerian has been banned from entering the UK and was on a terrorist watch-list.

I think EVERY single person wishing to board a flight should be made to eat a slice of ham. That'd solve the problem......

scuba_frog said:
I think EVERY single person wishing to board a flight should be made to eat a slice of ham. That'd solve the problem......
Aroy mak mak as we would say in Thailand.

My favourite ham is honey-roast.

Le_addeur_noir said:
scuba_frog said:

Well get on the plane then Sir..... :D And aroy mak mak means.......?

Some give aways are

No check in baggage, one way ticket (shoe bomber and the nigerian lad) (FFS!), no traveling companions. Not looking lecherously at the Stewardess.

scuba_frog said:
Le_addeur_noir said:
scuba_frog said:

Well get on the plane then Sir..... :D And aroy mak mak means.......?
Delicous.As I'm flying to the States tomorrow-and on Delta at that,I don't want any Islamic scum anywhere near my plane.

Passages from the Koran written on the arms use to be a favourite with these people.When it comes to safety the security forces should not be hampered by PC nonsense, at the moment its muslims, twenty years ago it was the Irish.

If we continue the way we are going pretty soon it will take 6 hours to board a flight while everyone regardless of age, creed and colour is put though the same security to please the Hampstead intelligentsia.

A muslim, from Fermanagh? Oy weh!

Ursus.Maritimus said:
creepy said:
So there.
Well said.
As right-on as that sounds, it is really pretty naive.
Positive profiling makes the system weaker if anything. If we had introduced it at the height of the troubles, we might have stopped the odd PIRA bomb plot (though probably not many because they aren't idiots and are rarely in incriminating situations), but we would have had no defence against muslim terrorists.

Similarly, if we only look at muslims (and by muslims I mean arabs), then we leave ourselves vulnerable to every other cnut who wants to have a go. Say we do start to just stop 'muslims' (which is tough since it's hard to tell someone's religion by looking at them), or arabs/pakistanis (what you really mean), then what's going to stop them from using people who don't fit the profile? A white muslim would glide through security if you were only profiling certain races.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for only targetting arabs if you could prove to me that the threat only came from arabs, but it doesn't. It just leaves up even more vulnerable than if we gave a reasonable amount of attention to other people.

What 9/11 taught us with regards to terrorism is to be very open minded as to what they are going to try next, and not be complacent.
Yours is the type of reactionary view that keeps them one step ahed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trip_Wire Multinational HQ 27
old_bloke Current Affairs, News and Analysis 38
antphilip The NAAFI Bar 4