Professionally qualified. Yet trying to avoid PQO course advice please?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by TheFriendlyBomb, Feb 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if something similar has already been covered and don't get me wrong I'm not trying to avoid training in any way it's just that I would rather go to RMAS properly (so I feel I've earnt my commision) instead of doing a 10 week course. Now is it possible to take the option of going to RMAS for the full course? Now I realise that my profession may be helpful here so I'm a fully qualified English teacher (BA and Post Graduate Certificate in Education). I asked at the AFCO but nobody there seemed to know. I'm hoping to join the AGC in the ETS branch.
  2. Good news! Teachers aren't counted as PQO so you'd have to do the full Commissioning Course anyway before heading towards the AGC(ETS) during the choice of arm process.

Additionally, change AFCO or ask them to direct you to their ACA1 as the guys on the desk at your current one don't have a clue.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Not sure if I'm offended or not about not being considered a professional! It was bloody hard work getting there lol!

Already twigged that but thanks anyway.
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Up to a point, Lord Copper.
  5. It's all about the, dentists, physios, padres etc tend to be expected to be docs, dentists, physios, padres etc first and soldiers second (if at all) but as an ETS Officer, you'll be expected to be a soldier first then a teacher.

Additionally, in any future role as an Officer tutor you'll need the background knowledge to facilitate lessons on various professional aspects of soldiering/being an Officer. This means you'll do all the CPD than any other Officer does to gain this background.

Look at it this way; despite your BA in English Lit/Lang/either you had to do a PGCE (ie the base qualification that enables you to undertake your core role) to be a teacher. This is reflected in your military career so you have to do the CC (ie the base qualification that enables you to lead soldiers/be an Officer) to become an Army Officer. Catch my drift?

The other good news is that with a PGCE already, you'll probably be ahead of the other ETS Officers you commission with so you might get to skip some/most of the post RMAS stuff they do to gain that qualification.
  6. Well that's a relief :thumright:.
  7. The critical bit is going to be your age at the point you expect to start at RMAS.
  8. Education Officers have an exemption from the new age requirements (you need to be <29 rather than <26).

9. You will probably have to repeat the PGCE process anyway as the ETS PGCE is done with Soton University and has various Master's degree elements which build eventually to a Master's in Education and Innovation. Plenty of people join the Branch with qualifications that they end up repeating!!! Even if you have a Master's, you will end up doing theirs too!!! Welcome to the Army!
  10. Gah!!! Really? I thought I left this university bollocks far behind me. Wish I'd joined the tankies now problem is I turn 27 in October so no go probably.
  11. That attitude is really offensive to us PQOs who may unfortunately one day have to save yours, or one of your muckers lives! Weve ALL earnt our commissions, except the PQO course is even more intense over a shorter period with less academy time off and no adventure jollies (from the mouth of a person on the 'real' commissioning course!) I earnt my commission by grafting as a ranker for 9 years, getting my qualifications and going on tour before heading to RMAS so try not to be so offensive. Bloody civvies..............rant rant rant!
  12. What a **** splash
  13. Bet your troops think you're just fab and would follow you anywhere, as you're such an obvious leader of men.

14. Calm down dear, I'm sure the PQO's aren't too worried. Let's face it they've earnt the right to do a shorter course by spending so long in training already (i.e. 5 years+ as a medic etc) or by being thoroughly all round good blokes/chicks (i.e. the padres, always good for some banter if you happen to run into them).
  15. I would be hugely surprised if any OCDT acknowledged the PQO course as more intense. It is not. It is significantly less intense than weeks 1-5 and that is only the first of 44 weeks.

Anyone who has ever lived in the Chateau Victoire or seen the retreat from the Somme that is a PQO PFT will testify to this.