Professional Military Reading

Discussion in 'Officers' started by jumpinjarhead, May 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  1. Assumed Command of what?

CENTCOM - Aug 11 to Mar 13. 19 Months, which makes him the longest serving CENTCOM Commander since Gen Abizaid in 2003.

He had previously Commanded Joint Forces Command, another Unified Combat Command, thus meaning he served as a Unified Combat Commander for nearly 3 years, meaning he had held the highest Command possible in the US Military for just under 5 years. Not so much 'pushed out'.
  2. Without compromising sources at the general officer level, he was indeed forced out.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Interesting, leaving aside the issue of wether he was pushed or jumped, I'm glad to see that the General believes such terms as "4th Generation Warfare" yadda yadda, are a load of hokum - I find it tiresome that some authors think that by inventing new terms they are being daring, original and incisive, when in fact they use them as a mask for their intellectual mediocrity. Changing the language doesn't mean you're creating a new paradigm - it just makes you think you are.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I'd certainly have been happy to have been forced out as a 4*

Slight aside, is 4th Generation War what happens after the 3 blocks have been finished?
  5. Well, it keeps the book deals and doctrine franchises going. Frankly I thought that dash-down-crawl-observe-sights-fire applied at Corps level if you were inventive enough.
  6. Bad CO

My problem is that I've never managed to break clear of the OODA loop.
  7. My company is obsessed with Plan Do Check Act and insists that it's quite different.
  8. Bad CO

That makes sense, the letters are radically different for a start.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  9. That is due to it being the brainchild of a fighter pilot.
  10. The 'letting go' of Generals McChrystal and Petraeus could be justified - Mattis's not so much except he asked some very pointed, searching, and embarrassing questions of the Obama (I was going to say regime) Administration. Obama considers himself omnipotent, anyone giving advice contrary to his views is considered an adversary - the brilliant General Mattis had to pack his kit and catch the 'two o' clock train' - perhaps Mattis should have read some of Eisenhower's thoughts on the military and politics.
    • Like Like x 1