Professional Institutions, are you a member?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Cait, Jan 3, 2006.

?
  1. Yes.

74.4%
  2. No, never considered it.

7.7%
  3. No, they are of no benefit.

17.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought I’d run the above pole out of interest to see how many of us take advantage of the services offered when affiliated to a professional institution.

I know they aren’t everyone’s bag but working within the MOD certain engineering skills are very green machine orientated (as to be expected). Membership would provide a link to the civvy/commercial side, an advantage to those wanting to hop the fence or coming to the end of their service?

The idea of an engineering institution is to represent and provide services to its members as a source for learning & continued professional development, with a network to evoke change through education, communication, government regulations & legislation. Countless employment opportunities are available through membership and ultimately association provides a badge of quality to your work.

I think a common misconception it that intuitions are only open to degree qualified (and above) engineers seeking Chartered status. However most/all (?) seek members from all academic levels from student/technician/incorporated/associated/chartered etc.

Does anyone think they are complete tosh and of no benefit to what we do? :D

Food for thought anyway. :?

I have attached links to some of the relevant body’s, im sure there are some i've missed? (Geo Geeks sorry you’re on your own I have no idea :D )

Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers
    Institute of Civil Engineers
    IEE
    Plumbers & Heating Engineers
    Mechanical Engineers
    Surveyors
    Engineering Council

2. Im a member of the IEE and now in the defence contractor world. I find it of limited benifit, the networking you really have to work at and pay money for and any information i get as a member is avaliable to non members too (though there are exceptions. Chaps i know in some of the corps are members of various institutions and they find it of limited benifit except to progress to getting chartered status!

OS

3. I've been a member of the IEE since I was a student; faced with the choice (joint degree) between BCS and IEE, I went sparky and have stayed there, despite being a software engineer (working in defence, telecomms, and hi-fi among others).

Tangible benefits are limited (you want to be in London for the full benefit, I suspect), but the professional magazines are interesting, and keep me up to date. Originally I went for full membership because there were some mutterings (in the 1980s) about safety-critical work requiring C.Eng signoff, and our firm was quite IEE-friendly.

4. Cait, try this:
    Institute of Explosives Engineers (http://www.iexpe.org/). Sometimes I change it to "Explosive Engineer", especially when I'm a bit miffed at something and steam escapes from ears.....
    Of some benefit, especially in a networking sense, but occasionally get hung up about fireworks.
    Unless things have changed recently, generally attain membership (Trainee/Associate/Member/Fellow) dependant on rank and qualifications (EOD/Cbt Engr and mainstream troopies mainly, but also MPF (for shotfiring/blast designer quals)).
    PATO (RLC chief ammo stacker) in the past used to vet all Mil applications (ie reject most REs!), but that is now not the case (thank fcuk......).

Edited to include:
    http://www.isee.org/ (International Society of Explosives Engineers), a younger, (less stuffy?) organisation, also open to REs (depending on quals of course).

5. I'm a student member of the Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors

6. That’s the opposite for me and probably one of the main reasons i maintain my CIBSE membership. I've found member networking readily available and beneficial almost akin to the secret hand shake people, although Building Services is a very incestuous industry.

The monthly publications as Gravelbelly said are a good read and always publish contracts for tender.

7. Cait, thanks for starting this thread but your info RICS is not the most welcoming Institution for RE surveyors, as a university degree is still very much the prerequisite for full membership.

The ME (Svy Engr) trade have always enjoyed close links with the Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES). They already accredit both the Class 2 and Class 1 courses at Chatham as meeting all the academic requirements for Technical and Graduate Membership respectively, with good routes to full membership. They also sponsor a small prize for top student on every course. ICES also has a partnership arrangement with the ICE that means that a senior ME (Svy Engr), with full membership of ICES, can apply for full membership of the ICE as well.

Personally I have not joined, yet, but with less than 20 months before I leave the Corps it is a "thing to do" in 2006 for the networking value alone.

8. Another is the Institute of Clerks of Works which have close links with the RE. icwgb.org There is even a prize for best student each year. I'm not sure of the benefits while serving, but there are plenty when out in the real world. I am a Clerk of Works (as my name suggests I was Inf) and working in Ireland. Here there will be a law soon which requires all professional people to be a member of a professional body - it's for accountability and to prove that the person is qualified for the job - here we have had a few major cock-ups when government adivisors turned out to have bought there degrees from US web-uni's that are not worth a w@nk!

I would be interested to hear from any RE CoW's - I am interested to hear about their role within the Corps

9. I Joined an EOD related institute a few years ago, the IMCE (institute of munition clearance engineers) which was an attempt to regulate the EOD and Demining industry, paid my money, got an ID card and heard nothing more of it, even their website closed down, i understand that they now call themselves the institute of search and munition clearance engineers, IMCE must have been too much like M.I.C.....K.E.Y....

10. It depends on the level of membership and relevance to the chosen career path (and also how widely recognised the institution is). As ex REME (I was attached to RE, so I think I'm allowed to look at your board!) there were a number of institutions I could have joined, but as I was going for a change of career (H&S), their relevance was limited.

My current organisation (Utilities) regards institution membership (e.g. CIBSE/ICE) very highly when recruiting for particular positions. Also, many H&S jobs are advertised with 'MIOSH' as the pre-requisite...no mention of qualifications whatsoever!

In answer to your question Cait, very beneficial, and a good entry on the CV in preparation for discharge, and that's not to mention the benefits from the old boys net.....sorry, networking!

11. Cait,

you can add the

Chartered Institute of Builders

to your list, particularly useful for anyone who wants to enter the construction industry in a site or project mangement role. As above many different levels of entry and no requirement to come from a degree background.

Humph

12. Chartered Institute of Waste Management

Anyone top that?

Thought not :p

13. You arent a former (or even current) incumbent of the Basrah province sewage and solid waste support team per chance :lol:

sh!t job but somone had to do it etc....

14. No, sorry
    I do lie awake at night dreaming of paddling around in Basrah's sewage, but no such luck for me
    have you had the pleasure?

15. not intentionally :roll: :roll:

amazing how it rots the boots, desert, useless