Production starts on world-leading respirators for UK armed forces

mrdude

War Hero
To be honest, the filter design is rubbish. It should be redesigned to have a 'double' filter. Basically the filter should be split in to 2 parts with a replaceable hepa filter (similar to what you get in a vacuum cleaner) - that can unscrew, this could be used for capturing larger particles of debris and make the 2 secondary filter for the smaller particles. That way it would last longer in the field, especially when you're working in dusty environments - you could just unscrew the hepa filter and shake out the crap.
It would be more efficient and cheaper and the stores wouldn't need to carry as many in the event of a war that required the use of them.

morsk

LE
I dont understand..... What exactly am I looking at. The GSR has been in service since 2012. Is this an update? A replacement?

Enquiring minds need to know

mrdude

War Hero
The GSR has some terrible reviews:

Why do the Government buy this crap?, I hope this new one if fit for purpose (and not just a contract dished out to someones's mate on a back hander).

The GSR has some terrible reviews:

Why do the Government buy this crap?, I hope this new one if fit for purpose (and not just a contract dished out to someones's mate on a back hander).
From someone who doesn’t have to use it, never will have, and is a slightly spotter-ish gear hoarder?

Just_plain_you

War Hero
I dont understand..... What exactly am I looking at. The GSR has been in service since 2012. Is this an update? A replacement?

Enquiring minds need to know
Phase 2 of the existing contract.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmm, i go past that place when i go for a run. had no idea!

From someone who doesn’t have to use it, never will have, and is a slightly spotter-ish gear hoarder?
Have a look at his slideshow at the end of the video, I think you will find a couple of the derogatory comments are screenshots from this esteemed forum along with some other relevant paperwork.

Even just watching the video I can see the faults as he points them out. I have seen better sealant application by plumbers around bathtub's, the inability to aim reasonably well is no minor drawback, worse yet having the front cover 'jump off' is not too clever and most worrying of all is the ability to see light through a hole in the respirator.

Have a look at his slideshow at the end of the video, I think you will find a couple of the derogatory comments are screenshots from this esteemed forum along with some other relevant paperwork.

Even just watching the video I can see the faults as he points them out. I have seen better sealant application by plumbers around bathtub's, the inability to aim reasonably well is no minor drawback, worse yet having the front cover 'jump off' is not too clever and most worrying of all is the ability to see light through a hole in the respirator.
Who knows, maybe he’s been able to buy a rejected faulty one. Mine has none of the issues shown other than having the standard twin canisters and also works perfectly in a chamber whilst allowing better vision and airflow than its predecessor. I know which I prefer and it’s not theS10.

Who knows, maybe he’s been able to buy a rejected faulty one. Mine has none of the issues shown other than having the standard twin canisters and also works perfectly in a chamber whilst allowing better vision and airflow than its predecessor. I know which I prefer and it’s not theS10.

SR6 in my day, with THAT rifle, and DPM kit, along with DMS boots and puttees, we ruled an empire, beat the Argies, sorted out the micks, held back the Russians, Protected the rock, saw of insurgents in south America, and policed HK so what's not to like! ( If it works, don't fix it)

eBay & Army Surplus will get rid of them by putting the words SAS Issued GSR's hey bingo the walts buy them.

Last edited:
Could be that the one's he referred to on ebay found their way there as a result of being scrapped by the manufacturer and the pikey who bought them putting them up for sale.

Latest Threads