Producing a TV documentary

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by CarlMcQ, Dec 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

My name’s Carl McQueen and I’m currently studying Broadcast Journalism at Nottingham Trent University. As part of my final year assessment I’m producing a short television documentary on the Armed Forces, specifically those injured on duty and what facilities there are available to them, or indeed the lack of.

I’m looking at charities available to injured servicemen and women, such as the Honour the Covenant campaign and Help For Heroes, But I'm also hoping for interviews from people with first-hand experience of being injured in combat and/or knowing people who have.

I appreciate it's a subject that will evoke emotion and many will wish for nothing to do with this topic, but I'm hoping at least of couple of you could help me out. If you could reply to this message or email me - - then I will be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Carl McQueen
  2. carl,

if your looking for an original groundbreaking idea, you have not found it.
    an Ad like this gets posted every couple of weeks. I dont know how many responses any of the rest have got, but i know that i dont want to be famous, and there are a good few others who dont either.

Is your Doc going to make a difference to serving and ex serving soldiers, or the charities that help them? I dont think so, because it is likely that this is an assesment piece and so the only person who will benefit is you!!

edited to say: i was a little harsh, no offence intended, but i want to make sure that if there are any volunteers, they know precisely what it is for. the words TV documentary are misleading, this piece of work will never see TV will it?

I know the industry and know that by the time you have made any inroads, or made a significant enough impact you will look back on this piece and hate it.

Good luck anyway
  3. In exhange for information, can you hook us up with filthy student girls with loose morals? I can get to Nottingham in Feb and March.

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

But at least his heart is in the right place.

I am continually infuriated that the most commonly and regularly seen BBC "line" about the Army is the News 24 hourly countdown that shows a PDA with the line about UK Soldiers beating up Iraqis. Seen it? :x

Even if Carl's film is seen by a small audience, another friend in his industry of choice who has seen the grim truth of injuries and can influence, even in a small way, is worth having.
  5. You are absolutely correct, hence why i edited my post

appologies again, its been a rough couple of weeks (no excuse i know)
  6. Hi,

I appreciate this may have all been done before, but my course is BJTC-accredited course, so it's highly likely if this documentary is any good, (which I fully intend it to be!) then a number of prospective employers will see it...and with it being in broadcastable form, who knows from there...

But obviously that's very much running before I can walk. You don't have to be identified if needs be and therefore can be blurred out or filmed in a darkened room, as that's what would be expected in a professional production to ensure people's privacy if they are reluctant to disclose it.

7. Maybe the Gent would consider putting a version on Youtube etc (good PR for him as well) and maybe an Internet groundswell could be built up by ARRSers etc, a bit like how Mr Pun VCs campaign was spearheaded? If so, a win win for both sides ?
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Check your PMs

9. now that is a good idea,
  10. Why not do a film on the injured treatment and lack of facilities, such as a swimming pool that is needed at Headley Court and what is being done to raise the money etc see
  13. I'm fully intending to speak to someone from Headley Court, and although they seem positive on the idea, I have to go through all the MoD media malarky, so could be easier said than done......
  14. So do it then. Surely an understanding of all the red tape will help you in the long run?

Or are you just being a lazy student?
  15. Nope no issue with you at all... I'm not Mr. Grumpy today :D , just ask that although you take some crap in the Media that has made you all soaked in mistrust, keep an open mind to those who do show a genuine interest and want to help raise the right issues.