Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Process to join 1 PARA/SFSG?

J_S

Swinger
I am signing up to become a officer and i am of course naturally interested in the paras. I was wondering what is the process to join 1 PARA over 2/3 PARA. Is there a selection? Are recruits picked on how they do in regular battalions ? Or are shining recruits picked from P Company? This may seem a stupid question but i am really interested in the process, Thanks.

I am signing up to become a officer and i am of course naturally interested in the paras. I was wondering what is the process to join 1 PARA over 2/3 PARA. Is there a selection? Are recruits picked on how they do in regular battalions ? Or are shining recruits picked from P Company? This may seem a stupid question but i am really interested in the process, Thanks.
Most people on this site left the army when we were still jumping from Dakotas. You need to get through RMAS, be selected for the Parachute Regiment and then get through 'All Arms P Company first.

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE
It was originally formed to save Jacksons old battalion by taking it off the infantry orbit.
Wrong. A Scottish Bn was due to be cut, but hackles, tartan can't possibly etc, so then a Yorkshire Bn was lined up for sacrifice instead. Moving 1 PARA from the Inf ORBAT to UKSF saved the Yorkshire Bn from the chop, and made permanent a role they had been carrying out for a while anyway.

The_Duke

LE
Mod comment - moved to recruiting and the dross removed.

As said above, if you want to become a Parachute Regiment officer, focus on that first. It isn't an easy hurdle. If you succeed, concentrate on learning as much as you can and being the best Pl Comd you can be. You may then get the chance to post to 1 PARA, if you want to. You may by then have made your home in 2 or 3 PARA and not want to move.

Officers can also join SFSG from other units, but the same basic principles apply. Commission first, prove to be a good Pl Comd, and then ask through the appropriate channels.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
As usual bang on. Essentially SFSG was created to formalise the informal agreements were in place before. 1 PARA has been providing support to UKSF for years.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
Now thread is tidied I will post relevant and accurate information.

To join SFSG you must be serving within Para Reg, RM or RAF Reg. There are the usual support roles too such as medic, clerk, driver, REME etc. But to join a strike company you apply to join via JPA, undergo a suitability interview with your OC. Then if you are deemed suitable you will be put forward for the Cadre.

Pass an initial 6 week cadre when you first rock up at the unit. Quite cheeky, lots of phys, lots of range work and a few exercises mainly focusing on CQB. After the 6 weeks you go on your jumps until you qualify for your wings (if you don’t already have them)

Pass the cadre and you get placed into one of the strike companies. Information on the internet is out-dated these days the corps man all the companies now mix Royal Marine/Para

Can't divulge much more information for obvious reasons but it is a very busy unit and the roles are extremely varied, as mentioned above sometimes you will get utilised as overwatch, cordons and fire support however you will be at the sharp end of things from time to time too, more often than you would expect anyway. The training you receive in the unit is absolutely fantastic.

Normally cycles are for 3 years. Any specific questions (within reason) drop me a PM.

Best of luck.

Latest Threads