Problems

964ST

LE
I was 2 weeks away from passing out when I left. It hurts like shit but as time goes on It will motivate me more to go back and finish. I would have finished only for certain consequences.
The past is the past, try not to draw on negatives. You have a Goal! And the Goal is the End Result, think about what you need to deliver now,
Focus and be positive, if you really want to you will succeed!
And have a sense of humour:)

At your still young age, I’d try and get back into education. Educational qualifications open doors that won’t open if you don’t have them.

The more doors that will open for you, the better your options will be in terms of variety of choice, potential advancement and higher income etc.

Do consider finishing that degree level stuff if you are able to. That level will open the most doors. Some people might tell you that only a degree in one of the more traditional disciplines will do you any good. That’s not the case. A degree is also a level of education, not just a qualification in one particular discipline

if you aren’t going to practice that particular discipline, you might apply for a degree course with easier access in terms of availability etc.

The best and most switched on platoon commander I ever served under had a degree in history. He obviously wasn’t going to be a lawyer or an accountant but he did rise to the rank of Major General. My son has a degree in music technology. He‘s a principle account manager for the South East of the UK for a major international tyre company and his income is around £60,000 per annum. Not bad for a younger guy who’s still got a couple of years until he hits his thirties,

These things might not seem so important to you at the moment with your other issues still up in the air a little but it’s never too early to get on it. Try and make it a priority before it slips down your list and then it doesn’t happen.

Whatever you end up doing, even if you go back in the army, educational qualifications will be a major advantage to you personally. You will sooner or later realise that. Just don’t realise it too late!

Good luck to you and your little brother.

TheGambler

Clanker
At your still young age, I’d try and get back into education. Educational qualifications open doors that won’t open if you don’t have them.

The more doors that will open for you, the better your options will be in terms of variety of choice, potential advancement and higher income etc.

Do consider finishing that degree level stuff if you are able to. That level will open the most doors. Some people might tell you that only a degree in one of the more traditional disciplines will do you any good. That’s not the case. A degree is also a level of education, not just a qualification in one particular discipline

if you aren’t going to practice that particular discipline, you might apply for a degree course with easier access in terms of availability etc.

The best and most switched on platoon commander I ever served under had a degree in history. He obviously wasn’t going to be a lawyer or an accountant but he did rise to the rank of Major General. My son has a degree in music technology. He‘s a principle account manager for the South East of the UK for a major international tyre company and his income is around £60,000 per annum. Not bad for a younger guy who’s still got a couple of years until he hits his thirties,

These things might not seem so important to you at the moment with your other issues still up in the air a little but it’s never too early to get on it. Try and make it a priority before it slips down your list and then it doesn’t happen.

Whatever you end up doing, even if you go back in the army, educational qualifications will be a major advantage to you personally. You will sooner or later realise that. Just don’t realise it too late!

Good luck to you and your little brother.
The degree I was doing was business management (Economics), I’m pretty well clued up on it. I do plan on going back into education and finishing off the degree. The doctor on my final medical before discharge said exactly that. Go back into education, finish off your degree and do your masters then come back as an officer. Qualifications I agree open more doors for you for better employment, job security and salary.

My main goal is to sign back up though and finish what I started and pass out on that parade square, either as a soldier or officer,

TheGambler

Clanker
The past is the past, try not to draw on negatives. You have a Goal! And the Goal is the End Result, think about what you need to deliver now,
Focus and be positive, if you really want to you will succeed!
And have a sense of humour:)
The end goal is the army mate. That’s always been what I’ve wanted to do. It was and still is a dream of mine. To wear that uniform with pride. Knowing I’m a serving British soldier

Troy

LE
You probably have loads of advice to consider, and a great deal to get sorted out. But when you do get a few spare moments, take a look at what the Open University has to offer. It might suit your requirements better, what with having to look after a youngster.

Do you know how long the cooling of period would potentially be to sign back up?
I don't and I'd suggest that the most authoritative answer would be from the Army Recruiting set up. I would just ask them (by letter) and wait. Even then it will probably take a while before you can establish a situation where you could act on it.

The primary goal for you is to get things best arranged for you and him. The school time is free child-care where you can get other things done (work/study) without keeping an eye on him. There isn't that much of it at his age so plan to use it as best you can, buying more childcare time is unlikley to be worth it unless you bag a top notch job straight off. My friend became a widower at a young age and his work was brilliant but he was in employment with them for some time previously. He was knocking his pan in getting to and from work though and I suspect if I asked him now he would say it wasn't worth the effort for the couple of years he did it. Cynically, having a male single parent probably ticked a box for the employer somewhere.

As well as "ordinary" jobs keep an eye to the papers for the technical Academy things the run in Belfast.

TheGambler

Clanker
Hi fellas.
So got a package in the post today. Just confirming my discharge. Along with a service certificate and HM Veterans badge (not that I personally feel am deserving off it) and it did hit the heart strings a bit haha if how much I miss . More to the point. It reinforces it even more that I want to become a soldier and get back over there.

Hope you all have a great and healthy week.

TheGambler

Clanker
Stick at it mate, you did the right thing
It’s beginning to seem that way mate.
•Brother in school
•I’m back at work and studying
•First gym session tonight in 2 months tonight

Beginning to feel better mate. I’m only young at the end of the day so plenty of time to achieve my dream.

I hope that everything gets sorted out for you and your little brother.
Just a thought, and others might know the answer but have you considered becoming the legal guardian of your brother?

Once you are back in the Army then once at your Regiment you might be able to have him with you, safe and secure with a huge support network.

Dunno if that would be possible at all tbh.

TheGambler

Clanker
I hope that everything gets sorted out for you and your little brother.
Just a thought, and others might know the answer but have you considered becoming the legal guardian of your brother?

Once you are back in the Army then once at your Regiment you might be able to have him with you, safe and secure with a huge support network.

Dunno if that would be possible at all tbh.
Yes mate as far as I’m aware I already am his legal guardian. So he’s under my protection and parental control.

Latest Threads