Problems

TheGambler

Clanker
How old are you?
Tbh, Nobody can ever knock you for putting a wee little 4 year old at the top of your list of priorities.

I for one take my hat off to you.
Get the situation stabilised and then re evaluate some time in the future. Best of luck to you.
I’m only 20 mate. Turned 20 two weeks ago. So 19 when I started basic.

I’ve got wider family support, but when it comes to him being looked after and took to school etc it’s quite thin.

I believe I’ve made a good decision. I’m thankful in a way that I have money set aside and have family financial support to help us both.

TheGambler

Clanker
Just thought I’ve give you all an update on the situation. I am now home and even though I’ve been told I’ve made probably the right decision at the present. Truth be told I’m missing every single bit about army life. About platoon life, the inspections, drill, phys even the shit food. I was due to pass out next Friday.

It is all for my little brother though. Out of curiosity as I had to DAOR is there a time limit before I can sign back up?

I wasn't joking when I said "Tough Choice" upthread. Its sad to read but entirely the reaction I expected. I know a person who served as a counsellor for kids from families that were disfunctional for one reason or another. Their take on your feelings would be that you are starting a grieving process for the version of your future self you hoped to be. I attended TA Sandhurst once upon a time but I didn't pass and because I came from NI with another guy who I had travelled with and thus needed to travel back with. I made myself scarce for a couple of days till he passed off. I went back on the afternoon of the parade to pick him up and happened to run into them all coming back from the post parade do. Just seeing them was awful, I was really surprised how gutted I was because logically I knew I wasn't "crossing the line" with them days before. The moral insofar as there is any is that the only person having a worse time than you is your brother and he may well be completely oblivious to it. Its OK to feel gutted, your meant to but don't let it make you a "casualty".

In the meantime does he have a school place sorted out?

TheGambler

Clanker
I wasn't joking when I said "Tough Choice" upthread. Its sad to read but entirely the reaction I expected. I know a person who served as a counsellor for kids from families that were disfunctional for one reason or another. Their take on your feelings would be that you are starting a grieving process for the version of your future self you hoped to be. I attended TA Sandhurst once upon a time but I didn't pass and because I came from NI with another guy who I had travelled with and thus needed to travel back with. I made myself scarce for a couple of days till he passed off. I went back on the afternoon of the parade to pick him up and happened to run into them all coming back from the post parade do. Just seeing them was awful, I was really surprised how gutted I was because logically I knew I wasn't "crossing the line" with them days before. The moral insofar as there is any is that the only person having a worse time than you is your brother and he may well be completely oblivious to it. Its OK to feel gutted, your meant to but don't let it make you a "casualty".

In the meantime does he have a school place sorted out?
Yes mate he’s enrolled in school already. He’s going into P2 in September time.

Just absolutely gutted I’m not able to walk onto that parade square next week and pass-out. Do you know how long the cooling of period would potentially be to sign back up? Absolutely miss everything about being in platoon. Although thankfully I’m only 20 so I still have time to figure it out as such. But one thing for sure is that one day I will be a soldier in the British army. Just not at this moment in time.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Just absolutely gutted I’m not able to walk onto that parade square next week and pass-out. Do you know how long the cooling of period would potentially be to sign back up? Absolutely miss everything about being in platoon. Although thankfully I’m only 20 so I still have time to figure it out as such. But one thing for sure is that one day I will be a soldier in the British army. Just not at this moment in time.
You have made a good and decent choice, best of luck, keep your fitness up and stick at it.

You sound a very mature 20 year old. When you do go for it again and re evaluate your choices, have a look at Ammunition Technician.

TheGambler

Clanker
Can I ask, what are you doing for money now you're no longer employed by HMG?
Currently mate nothing. I’ve been settling down home first. I’m just honestly prepared to work anywhere just to get money up. I’m not a lazy ******. I’ve done a lot of jobs since turning 16 and never shied away from work once.

TheGambler

Clanker
You sound a very mature 20 year old. When you do go for it again and re evaluate your choices, have a look at Ammunition Technician.
The doctor told me in a few years come back and go for officer entry. I left university to join HMF in the first place. I have the option of returning and doing my final of university.

Before anyone asks why I left university it’s because I had enough of being stuck back home doing the same shit every weekend with the same people. And the military was and still is my dream job.

A wise head on young shoulders in making a tough choice, albeit no choice at all given your younger brother. Keep your powder dry, with your attitude and perseverance you'll go a long way.

I tip my hat to you. Best of luck.

TheGambler

Clanker
A wise head on young shoulders in making a tough choice, albeit no choice at all given your younger brother. Keep your powder dry, with your attitude and perseverance you'll go a long way.

I tip my hat to you. Best of luck.
Appreciate it mate.

I’m just gutted if I’m honest. Just can’t put into words how much I miss it. But it will pass and before I know it I’ll be walking through the gates of Pirbright or Winchester again :)

bentobox

Old-Salt
My hat is off to you as well. At 20 years of age I could just about decide which color shirt to wear. It sounds like your little brother has a fantastic big brother to look up to. Well done for making a tough choice, wishing you very best for all of your future endeavors.

TheGambler

Clanker
My hat is off to you as well. At 20 years of age I could just about decide which color shirt to wear. It sounds like your little brother has a fantastic big brother to look up to. Well done for making a tough choice, wishing you very best for all of your future endeavors.
In a few years time I’ll hopefully be back to where I was just a few weeks back. On my way to becoming a soldier. All being everything goes well.

Currently mate nothing. I’ve been settling down home first. I’m just honestly prepared to work anywhere just to get money up. I’m not a lazy ******. I’ve done a lot of jobs since turning 16 and never shied away from work once.

I'm not privy to your circumstances beyond what you describe here, but I really feel you made a mistake DAORing. You may have made the right decision morally, but the forces to me, is escaping things such as broken families and exploring your own potential. You'll land on your feet regardless I'm sure, just don't be a crutch for other peoples' life choices.

Appreciate it mate.

I’m just gutted if I’m honest. Just can’t put into words how much I miss it. But it will pass and before I know it I’ll be walking through the gates of Pirbright or Winchester again :)

Or Sandhurst.

TheGambler

Clanker
I'm not privy to your circumstances beyond what you describe here, but I really feel you made a mistake DAORing. You may have made the right decision morally, but the forces to me, is escaping things such as broken families and exploring your own potential. You'll land on your feet regardless I'm sure, just don't be a crutch for other peoples' life choices.
What would my little brother do? Bare in mind he’s 5 years old. Go into foster care Or a children’s home? After what’s previously went on in children’s home. Especially in Northern Ireland. There’s not a chance in hell I was letting my little brother end up in one of them at a crucially young age with no family members surrounding him to look after him.

TheGambler

Clanker
I respect your message and appreciate the words.

Although it’s not the end for me in my journey to become a soldier or officer. I do firmly believe in a few years time I will be on my way to becoming one of them again.

964ST

LE
I respect your message and appreciate the words.

Although it’s not the end for me in my journey to become a soldier or officer. I do firmly believe in a few years time I will be on my way to becoming one of them again.
If you have the drive, then you will at least have tried your best.

TheGambler

Clanker
If you have the drive, then you will at least have tried your best.
I was 2 weeks away from passing out when I left. It hurts like shit but as time goes on It will motivate me more to go back and finish. I would have finished only for certain consequences.

Latest Threads