Problems

TheGambler

Clanker
It’s a shame that an option to drop to the reserves can’t be chosen. The Army retains a good soldier and saves on training and costs.
Yeah I’d have been more than happy to transfer to reserves if I’m honest. I guess it just isn’t meant to be unfortunately. 12 weeks of graft just to leave with nothing.

D

Deleted 4482

I haven’t no. I will take it into consideration. Although there is a cooling of period of a year before I can apply unfortunately.
Just remember - you can still ask theThe British Legion for help in several areas if you feel you require it.

If you have served 1 day you are entitled to ask for their help.

Best of luck and - don't be too proud to ask for help if you feel you need it.

D

Deleted 4482

Yeah I’d have been more than happy to transfer to reserves if I’m honest. I guess it just isn’t meant to be unfortunately. 12 weeks of graft just to leave with nothing.
You' wont have left with nothing. Trust me. It will become apparent to you when you compare yourself to others in your peer group / future colleagues.

You’ve not left with nothing, you’ve gained valuable experience and training, but most of all you’ve faced adversity that has forced you to make some very difficult choices. As hard as things feel now, you’ll be a lot better person for that.

A year will pass quickly and if you really want to join the Forces, regular or AR, include it in your plans for the future.

From the sounds of it you have had to make a tough decision, and have done so, well done.

I don't know the circumstances at home which have led to this situation, but would strongly encourage you to talk to your local Reserve unit. You may not be able to join yet, due to the deferral period and trying to stabilise things at home (you need to think about weekend childcare if you are the care giver), but speaking to the recruiter NOW does 2 things.

1) you are on his/her list of prospects, and when eligible to apply they should (if they are any good) give you a ring.

2) it tells the unit you exist - if you need help, thy might be able to offer something, I know my old squadron did for ex regulars, 1 day or 20 years. Including furniture for one lad who dropped out of basic as his mother had passed, and he went wibble for a bit.

Next, civilian employment, have you got something lined up, do you need help to get something?

What area are you in (county or large city is enough) their are a lot of people on here in a lot of industries, I am certain we would collectively help give a leg up if needed.

Finally if you need help, ask. One day in, a lifetime of support. See the links up thread.

D

Deleted 4482

From the sounds of it you have had to make a tough decision, and have done so, well done.

I don't know the circumstances at home which have led to this situation, but would strongly encourage you to talk to your local Reserve unit. You may not be able to join yet, due to the deferral period and trying to stabilise things at home (you need to think about weekend childcare if you are the care giver), but speaking to the recruiter NOW does 2 things.

1) you are on his/her list of prospects, and when eligible to apply they should (if they are any good) give you a ring.

2) it tells the unit you exist - if you need help, thy might be able to offer something, I know my old squadron did for ex regulars, 1 day or 20 years. Including furniture for one lad who dropped out of basic as his mother had passed, and he went wibble for a bit.

Next, civilian employment, have you got something lined up, do you need help to get something?

What area are you in (county or large city is enough) their are a lot of people on here in a lot of industries, I am certain we would collectively help give a leg up if needed.

Finally if you need help, ask. One day in, a lifetime of support. See the links up thread.

He is NI.
I have his number and he is happy for me to pass it on should anybody be able to assist / offer further advice.

He is NI.
I have his number and he is happy for me to pass it on should anybody be able to assist / offer further advice.
We have a site in NI, always looking for sensible folk, depending on skills/qualifications etc. I will PM the careers page over and explain how I can help.

Depending on location, perhaps look at 40th (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron, although I have an amount of cap badge loyalty and having been attached to the antecedent regiment going on in this case...

TheGambler

Clanker
Check your messages

:)
We have a site in NI, always looking for sensible folk, depending on skills/qualifications etc. I will PM the careers page over and explain how I can help.

Depending on location, perhaps look at 40th (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron, although I have an amount of cap badge loyalty and having been attached to the antecedent regiment going on in this case...
I have messaged you back mate :)

When it came to it you put others before yourself so something must have took hold (or already been there).

TheGambler

Clanker
When it came to it you put others before yourself so something must have took hold (or already been there).
Don’t quite understand what you mean? No I haven’t asked my CoC about reserves transfer. I’m waiting on medical and hearing test before I’m discharged. CoC said I’ll be home by Friday.

Also what are you like in terms of wider family support with the sprog? The old TA hands who I knew lived by the mantra "Family, Job then TA in that order." How much support you have will essentially dictate what you can do both in your civvy job and in the AR.

It’s a shame that an option to drop to the reserves can’t be chosen. The Army retains a good soldier and saves on training and costs.
And ironic given all the talk about 'flexible' caeers allowing them to make the most of the talent they've got.

Also what are you like in terms of wider family support with the sprog? The old TA hands who I knew lived by the mantra "Family, Job then TA in that order." How much support you have will essentially dictate what you can do both in your civvy job and in the AR.
Good point, but unless the OP is planning to deploy every year (not that there are that may oportunities at the moment), a couple of weeks and the odd weekend and evening ought to be do-able.

Good point, but unless the OP is planning to deploy every year (not that there are that may oportunities at the moment), a couple of weeks and the odd weekend and evening ought to be do-able.
Speaking from bitter experience the whole shebang depends on others being available to look after the sprog. If he has had to pack in Basic help is probably thin on the ground at the moment.

I am the only parental figure my little brother is going to have. It could be doable but at this moment in time it’s not.
How old are you?
Tbh, Nobody can ever knock you for putting a wee little 4 year old at the top of your list of priorities.

I for one take my hat off to you.
Get the situation stabilised and then re evaluate some time in the future. Best of luck to you.

Latest Threads