Problems with rampaging dinosaurs? The solution is here.

An American gunsmith has just completed a very interesting project, which I'm sure many ARRSErs (especially the muzzle loading fans) will be fascinated to see.

The inspiration for the project:

"Among other weapons, I had an extraordinary rifle that carried a half-pound percussion shell; this instrument of torture to the hunter was not sufficiently heavy for the weight of the projectile: it only weighted twenty pounds, thus with a charge of ten drachms of powder and a HALF-POUND shell, the recoil was so terrific, that I spun around like a weathercock in a hurricane. I really dreaded my own rifle, although I have been accustomed to heavy charges of powder and severe recoils for some years. None of my men could fire it, and it was looked upon as a species of awe, and it was name "Jenna-El-Mootfah" (Child of a Canon) by the Arabs, which being a far too long of a name for practice, I christened it the "Baby", and the scream of this "Baby" loaded with a half-pound shell was always fatal. It was too severe, and I seldom fired it, but it is a curious fact that I never shot a fire with that rifle without bagging. The entire practice, during several years, was confined to about twenty shots. I was afraid to use it, but now and then as it was absolutely necessary, it was cleaned after months of staying loaded. On such occasions my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter) and the "Baby" flying some yards behind them. This rifle was made by Holland and Holland, of Bond Street, and I could highly recommend it for the Goliath of Gath, but not for the men of A.D. 1866."

Sir Samuel Baker -The Albert N'Yanza, Great Basin Of The Nile, 1866 pp.138

I'm in awe! It looks like a fantastic piece of craftsmanship, but to build (or shoot) something like this, I think you've got to be just a little bit nuts.

What do you reckon guys?

Impressive to see there are still artisans out there who can make something like this and more than just make it....turn into a work of art as detailed and stunning to look at.

Bloody shame that you are regarded as a freak by the general public in the UK if you show enthusiasm for something like this.
IndianaDel said:
I would have thought an SLR would be enough. If the first round does not do the job, I would still have 19 to be going on with!
Did you look at the site? When the first shot makes holes the size that this rifle does, the other 19 shots would most likely be unneccesary.
Hello Tartan_Terrier,

such a weapon would be very useful against a Tryannosaurus Rex which announces its approach with it's thunderous footsteps.
However,the more stealthy approach of a rampaging Pterodactyl may result in a man being surprised when his trusty rifle is not conveniently to hand.
The obvious solution is to carry a suitable side arm in a holster at all times,like this one for example.

Seen a 4 bore elephant gun being discharged and the firer claimed recoil was not too bad, but that was down to the barrel being a massive hexagonal bar that had been bored out.

When picked up you immediately understood why back in the day they needed a goodly number of bearers.....
That was a most interesting series about how to build such a huge beast. The finished rifle is absolutely gorgeous! There's a fella who really has a lot of talent.

Many thanks indeed for posticating that, TT!

indeed this guy is a talented craftsmen. From the raw materials to the finished rifle, he has achieved a lot. Seems to be proficient in a number of skills too(metalwork, wook, finishes, gunsmithing etc).
A retro version?

Doesn't indicate caliber but just looking at the hammer/breech area the thing is huge. Seems to use a Brunswick type belted ball or winged conical projectile.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
leeanne RLC 25
I ARRSE: Site Issues 26