Problems with PC speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by sc_obvious, Mar 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have 5.1 surround sound speakers on my desktop PC and they were working fine before I packed up the PC. Now I have set it up again, only the front speakers are working. I have made sure that in the device manager they are down as being surround sound speakers and have 5.1 selected. The only difference I can think of is that when I switched the PC back on it downloaded SVC pack 2 for VISTA.

If it set it up as being a 7.1 system then all of the speakers work though looking at the test page in VISTA clearly the system is looking for another 2 speakers.

Anyone have any ideas ? All of the cabling is as it should be etc.

2. You obviously know something about computers so I take it there's no yellow ? in device manager and the sound drivers are all enabled.

Check and double check the speaker wiring are in the correct terminals - just last week I managed to put someones computer back together and got them the wrong way around :roll:

Sound card all recognised and enabled?

update the soundcard drivers?

Good Luck!!

PS leave the answer once you've found the problem

3. Sorry I thought this was a thread on the a..eholes we currently have in westminster and their political verbal crap! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4. Apart from downloading a driver update have you checked the control panel, "Audio and Sound" manager and made sure it is set to the correct options.

5. check the cable isnt damaged or the soundcard is sitting correctly in its pci slot

6. Just a bit more info on the speakers themselves, they don't have a driver - they are just plugged into the speaker jacks on the back of the tower so there was no driver to update. I was playing around today - and kept swapping between 7.1 & 5.1, enabling and disabling the two playback devices and hey presto - now set up for 5.1 and all speakers working.

Thanks for the suggestions though.