Problems with Firefox and such

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bugsy, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope that the resident IT gurus on ARRSE can find the time to give me a bit of help with a couple of problems I've had of late.

1. My default website when I log onto t'internet is Google.de. Invariably from there I click to Google.com. For about a month, whenever I click between the various Googles, the main area only displays the box in the middle and the two main click-boxes underneath it. Once I move the cursor into the main area, everything else fades into view, and I mean fades (gradually) into view. It's not as if all the other options suddenly spring onto the monitor, it really is gradual (takes a second or so). Now, it's not as if anything is affected by this, since I can access all my links without any problems. It's just that this never happened before and I'm wondering if there could be anything behind it (some sort of virus or such).

2. I have Secunia PSI on my machine and it told me recently that I had two programs which could cause insecurities on my system. Secunia PSI also offers solutions, so I downloaded them and expected to find them on my desktop. But they weren't there. I downloaded them again, made a note of the files and attempted to bring them up by using the "Search" function. But it came up dry. I repeated the whole procedure, but still had no joy and still couldn't find the solutions to apply.

It's not just Secunia PSI either. There've been a few other things I've wanted to install which have done exactly the same thing, i.e downloaded but to some obscure destination that I can't find, even with the "Search" function. So is there something I can click that will allow me (as before) to install things from my desktop?

I'm sorry if this is all appears to be a bit vague. I readily admit that I'm not the most clued-up person IT-wise in the world, but I'd very much appreciate any help which might be forthcoming.

MsG

2. When I click onto Google.co.uk (being the Google I use) it "appears" in exactly the same way you describe, Bugsy. I use Safari.

EDIT: It seems to "appear" in that way, even without moving the cursor.

Or perhaps not? When I went to Google something just now, nothing seemed to appear until I moved the cursor?

3. It's checking to see whether you have an account - iGoogle, googlemail or blogger - what you are getting is the completely standard bare Google search screen and then it drops the other options in after the login is complete (success or fail). I have an account so I also get the bar at the top.

Thinking about the other stuff.

4. It happens because the computer has realized you're a thick Mick and is trying to keep everything simple for you.

5. msr

msr LE

Which browser are you using and which antivirus do you have?

msr

6. The google fade is a trial by google, if you go to google home, you can find a list of trials and experiments.

7. Dunno about you but I'd check the title of the thread for the answer to the first of those ...

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Have you done the obvious and checked here?

[​IMG]

It should bring up a list of everything you've downloaded in that session. Double click on the download you then want to open

9. msr

msr LE

Mea Culpa - I meant which version...

10. Get off google they want all your data for marketing purposes and thats not just my opinion either do some searchs and you won`t like what turns up.

11. This isn't a problem with your browser. It is just an update that Google have brought out. It does the same on IE and Firefox.

12. I'm glad to hear that, although I fail to see what the point is.

Sixty's little tip with the downloads was just the ticket. It may be obvious for him, but I never even knew about that option. :oops:

Anyway, all sorted now, so thanks a bunch to all who took the trouble to respond, and special thanks to Sixty.

MsG

13. I've just wizzed through this thread again and seen that I overlooked a few helpful and informative posts. For instance, this one by Leveller:
    I went to Google and had a bit of a butcher’s around, mucker. Some very interesting stuff there, so thanks for the tip and my apologies for being such a prat as to neglect you.

I found this a bit ominous, Firthy, so I had a bit of a cabby around t’interwebz, but I really don’t know what I’m doing here and I don’t know what to enter as search criteria. If you could see your way clear to posting a few specific websites, I'd be most grateful.

MsG