Problems when in the Grenadier Guards?

Hi all, lurked on here for a while and have now decided to take action and get my arrse in gear with my application for HM Armed Forces!

The Grenadier Guards is one of the regiments I'm really interested in joining, but while reading a few old threads about them i saw a few people talking about a lot of rubbish you have to put up with when you get in. What rubbish are they talking about? Poor treatment, shitty jobs to undertake or what?

I'm guessing it's largely the same in a lot of regiments you join but from what I've read, in the Footguards you have to put up with a lot of crap. Anyone who can help me out with an answer is much appreciated!

Regards,

Z

Zarathustra

Hi all, lurked on here for a while and have now decided to take action and get my arrse in gear with my application for HM Armed Forces!

The Grenadier Guards is one of the regiments I'm really interested in joining, but while reading a few old threads about them i saw a few people talking about a lot of rubbish you have to put up with when you get in. What rubbish are they talking about? Poor treatment, shitty jobs to undertake or what?

I'm guessing it's largely the same in a lot of regiments you join but from what I've read, in the Footguards you have to put up with a lot of crap. Anyone who can help me out with an answer is much appreciated!

Regards,
People who say you have to "put up with a lot of crap" when joining the Grenadier Guards are either old and have been out for a long time so don't know what life in the Battalion is now or have never actually had much if any contact with the Household Division and are just recycling the same worn out old squaddies tales.

If you can elaborate on what sort of crap you've been told you'll have to put up with then I can tell what's gen info and what is rubbish.

Regards,
I am an ex- Scots Guardsman who served for 23 years and to this day I am proud to have served in the Regiment. I have met and served with Grenadiers and forgetting the inter Regimental rivalry they are a great bunch. I don't know what they mean by "crap. I do know that being a Gdsn requires a high standard of soldiering skills like the rest of the Inf. Regiments and in addition the ability to maintain a high standard of personal turnout when assigned to Public Duties.
Go for it.

BiscuitsAB

LE
People who say you have to "put up with a lot of crap" when joining the Grenadier Guards are either old and have been out for a long time so don't know what life in the Battalion is now or have never actually had much if any contact with the Household Division and are just recycling the same worn out old squaddies tales.

If you can elaborate on what sort of crap you've been told you'll have to put up with then I can tell what's gen info and what is rubbish.
I heard they surgically remove your head and replace it with a wooden facsimile and that to be in the Queens company you have to be over 7 foot tall. I also heard that its really only a stop over cause the place to be is Guards Para who are like the dogs bollocks and the best plt in the whole of 3 para.

Course it could all be bullshit :) except for the wooden head bit, I'm sure thats gen.

Stop flapping about what other people say and go and find out for yourself.

Z

Zarathustra

I heard they surgically remove your head and replace it with a wooden facsimile and that to be in the Queens company you have to be over 7 foot tall. I also heard that its really only a stop over cause the place to be is Guards Para who are like the dogs bollocks and the best plt in the whole of 3 para.

Course it could all be bullshit :) except for the wooden head bit, I'm sure thats gen.
Well, the wooden head bit goes without saying.

I have to agree with Crow Bag (Damned Gobbler that he is :p ) and Donmac, having been part of the Blue Red Blue and the father of a current member and served beside all the Regiments, the inter-Regimental rivalry is still going strong and a good laugh, you will have a great time.

Regards,
As the posh grunts are not quite clear in their answers, I, the ex donkey sucker, shall try to put this in to simples terms -

You go to a good school, a school that does its best to make it students, like yourself, feel proud that you go there. The school has been on the same grounds for 150 years, it has a lot of old traditions, which seem funny to the new students, a way of life to the older students and highly important to keep traditions alive to the teachers.
One of these could be the fact that when a teacher walks in to the classroom, all the students stand up and say "Good morning Sir / Ma'am, this is, say a small a tradition since 1876, when the former Prime minister of the UK, left no.10 and started as a teacher and the students wanted to show their respect to him. It seems an odd thing to do 140 years later, but hey, I suppose it's tradition and really it is a sign of respect - for which the teacher gives you respect back.

This is how the Household division works (5 regt's of Foot & the Household Cavalry), small simple things that have gone through up to 300 years of traditions.

HOWEVER - Down the road is Flackwood high school, it's 50 years old and gets a bit annoyed at it's "Posh" neighbours, with their funny ways and takes the piss out of them. But it doesn't want to be out-done by them. So the Headmaster at Flackwood has now decieded that everyday at 9am, all of the children at Flackwood will stand in assembly and sing the National anthem. No ******* obviously reason as to why, but you have to do it anyway.

This is how a Corp tends to behave when it gets too close to Guards regt. They come up with crap things to try to make themselves look better, but really, there is no bloody reason to.

As for the rest of the RAC and the Inf - Never heard any major issues with bullshit and mostly good regts. They tend to refer to the traditions as bullshit, rather than the role or the treatment.

EDM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. From what people have said, there was a bloke saying there's "a lot of bullshit but after a few years you won't notice" and another lad apparently regretted going in. None of 'em are specific in what they mean, so if anyone can elaborate on problems they've had while in the guards that'd be helpful.

I'm guessing most of the gripes are with public duties and ceremonial stuff, but that's not really a problem for me since i really like the tradition side of it.

Also after leaving Nijmegen Company, how much of your work is soldiering and how much is ceremonial? Sorry for these q's but i can't find the answers i'm looking for in other threads and can't get down to AFCO 'til next week!

From what I've seen, the kind of people who leave their regiment (whether that be guards, chippy or whatever) and then proceed to slag it off for the rest of their lives, are the type of spineless little (although a great many are in fact big fat) cnuts that couldn't make while they were in. Couldn't hack the discipline. Were drama cases. Or just plain *********.

The lads I know that have been attached to the Grens for tours in the past and indeed are attached for the tour they are on now, have nothing but praise for them as a fighting battalion. Weirdos yes. But nowhere near as bullshitty as they thought.

Forget the naysayers. Septem juncta in uno

From what I've seen, the kind of people who leave their regiment (whether that be guards, chippy or whatever) and then proceed to slag it off for the rest of their lives, are the type of spineless little (although a great many are in fact big fat) cnuts that couldn't make while they were in. Couldn't hack the discipline. Were drama cases. Or just plain *********.

The lads I know that have been attached to the Grens for tours in the past and indeed are attached for the tour they are on now, have nothing but praise for them as a fighting battalion. Weirdos yes. But nowhere near as bullshitty as they thought.

Forget the naysayers. Septem juncta in uno
Well said, I've never known any of the attched arms (For the benefit of Reid if he doesn't know, the chefs, clerks, & REME, that provide the support services in the regt) that I served with say that it was total bullshit, few said there some wierd things the regt's did - Mainly the one of the Blues and Royals being able to salute without headress on, but it never caused them any problems and it's part of the way of life in the regt.

Z

Zarathustra

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. From what people have said, there was a bloke saying there's "a lot of bullshit but after a few years you won't notice" and another lad apparently regretted going in. None of 'em are specific in what they mean, so if anyone can elaborate on problems they've had while in the guards that'd be helpful.
I would say we don't have any more bullshit than other regiments, we do however have high standards and the blokes expected to keep those standards.

On the whole they're nothing that you won't be used to after finishing at Catterick, kit correctly ironed, boots polished, grenade (cap badge) clean, hair cuts and side burns the normal Army type of stuff.

I have been posted to an RLC Sqn for a couple of years and they had more of what I would call pointless bullshit than we did, things like people bulling their working boots.

Of course this all depends on which company you go to. Nijmegan is generally stricter than most of the companies in the Battalion, but as this could be classed as phase 3 training it's to be expected.

With the rifle companies it depends on who the hierarchy are at the time and how the blokes in the company are. If you've got a lot of drama merchants then you can expect things to be stricter, generally Support Company and HQ Company get treated more like adults as you normally have to have served a few years before going to them and in HQ Company the individual departments have jobs so there is less scope for getting dicked with things.
I'm guessing most of the gripes are with public duties and ceremonial stuff, but that's not really a problem for me since i really like the tradition side of it.

Also after leaving Nijmegen Company, how much of your work is soldiering and how much is ceremonial? Sorry for these q's but i can't find the answers i'm looking for in other threads and can't get down to AFCO 'til next week!
How much ceremonial you do when in the Battalion depends entirely on where the Battalion is based, we've been in Aldershot for just over a year and whilst here we've done no ceremonial duties what so ever. When we move to London there will be a lot of duties going around. It's not uncommon to find yourself coming off a 48 hour guard on a Wednesday and find your self going back on on Friday.

Whilst in London we also still have other duties like barrack guards, guards of honour, lessons, ranges and exercises so it can get very hectic and this is where the high standards come into play. Not only do you have to keep on top of your ceremonial kit but also exercise kit, your room, the block, your fitness, general turn out and you'll need to find time to go out with the lads. It's sounds a bit daunting at first but once you get into the swing of things it really is a piece of piss.

Cheers everybody, you guys have put my mind at ease. Can't wait to crack on now and get my application for The Queen's finest going!

If anyone has any info on the process or general tips feel free to pass them on! Roll on the end of August!

The only tip i'll give is this.

When you're cold, wet, hungry and you feel like the world is generally ******* shit, just remember to keep a sense of humour. It's the best bit of kit you can have.

@Reid

Londist has a high PDIC pace of life, including other Ceremonial Duties which can be daunting for anyone unsure of what to expect, NIJ Coy is just one cog of the Londist wheel & the best way of judging any Bn is joining & finding out the Inf & Ceremonial life for yourself.

Some hate it & move on, others knuckle down & get on with it, either way good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
leeanne RLC 25
I ARRSE: Site Issues 26