Problems Posting

I'm told that some people may be having problems using the forum to post - just stick a message here telling me what it is and I'll sort it out!!! Only joking...

Seriously if there is anyone in that position please email me at hqarrse@hotmail.com or use msn with the same email address.

I'm very keen to dig into this if there is a problem but will need to know information.

In order to change over to the new software we had to use a converter, unfortunately the only ones available had a few flaws... one of the flaws is that the date joined converter didn't work! Hence the gibberish underneath our names... I think I'm going to change everyone's to todays dates.. if I can figure out how!

Well that was relatively painless! Anyone else who wants their date joined changed please let me know and I will do the business...

I am still unable to post from the aol portal, I continue to get 'invalid-session' message.............ahhhhhh well, I'll stick to getting here via Internet Explorer.

AS one who could not post via IE I will pass on the words of wisdom given to me by Bad CO. Delete your old ARRSE cookies and all is well. As hopefully this post will now prove.

It's not well in my case! :(

Deleted everything I could think of - still no joy.
Does anyone else out there use AOL and has no problems.
It's THEM - not me! :)

Lifesaver said:
It's not well in my case! :(

Deleted everything I could think of - still no joy.
Does anyone else out there use AOL and has no problems.
It's THEM - not me! :)

Lifesaver, I'm an AOL user. Try this. Click on Start/Programs and look for AOL. There will be two menus in the AOL tab, one for AOL itself and the other (if I can remember, as I'm sat in work) will say 'AOL System Info', or 'AOL Info' (or words to that effect). Click on this. You'll get the AOL system folder. Click on Utilities, and look for AOL Adapter. Click delete for this, then look above the adaptor tab and click on 'Clear Cache'. This cleans all the muck out of AOL. Restart your PC. Then re-start AOL. Once open, minimize AOL, and look for Internet Explorer on your Desktop or Programs menu, and open this (if you have a Firewall, click on yes to use Internet Explorer). Once open, type in www.bigudders.com, no, only kidding.... type in www.arrse.co.uk and Internet Explorer will go to the new arrse site and apply the security for the new site to the AOL settings. Close Internet Explorer, and try logging on to ARRSE via AOL. If your a broadband user, and you keep getting a error stating '503 or 4 Connection Timeout', PM me for a patch.

Gunny - you are the man! I never realised that AOL was such a pain...

Cheers Gunny,
I had done everything previously except uninstalling the network adaptor.........

Started from scratch, AND deleted all cookies and files from 'Internet Options' in control panel and did everything you said.
Logged back in via AOL but still cannot post from AOL.

Getting the invalid session message.

I'm using AOL 8 AND XP...... not using broadband.

OK guys, if you can read this, it's still working!

I go onto AOL, then go onto MSN (www.msn.com). In MSN I put www.arrse.co.uk into the Search box, click onto the first find result and come through to teh site.

When I reply to a post , JUST before I hit the submit button, I clear all cookies (go to Start - Find - enter 'cookies' (Mine's in my C drive), delete them all, delete them from the waste paper bin, and I also go into AOL, Sytem Information - Utilties and erase the browser items as well - THEN i hit the submit button!

And I do this every time I submit something.............here goes........

Clearly this is not good! We are working on this (I've just downloaded the files I hope will fix it) and Bad CO has done a lot of work on it. We will fix it as quickly as we can. AOL users bear with it and watch this space.

Hiya Prod,
I'm buggered if I'm going through that rigmorale! :lol:

Testing the new patch nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Nah, it doesn't work for me - yet! :cry:

MMmmmm, AOL is always a monster when something is updated. AOL is supposed to 'talk' to other internet software, but I have found it to be a truly big pain in the butt. Try upgrading to broadband and see what happens !!

Anywhoooo, try these. Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel. Look for Internet Options and click once on this. Look for 'Temporary Internet files' and click on delete files, then click on 'Delete all off line content'. Click okay. Then click on 'Clear History' on the History section, click on okay. On the bottom of this window, click on Apply and Ok. Then go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools and look for a tab which says (I think, as I'm in work and not at home) System Clean up, or words to that effect (someone correct me if wrong). Click on Ok to clean the C drive. This tool will then clean out all temp files, cookies, etc, blah, blah, as well as other temp files that windows creates just for the fun of it !! This may take some time if you have enough clutter on your hard drive.

Go to Start/Search/Files and Folders, and make sure your cursor is in the search files and folders in C: drive. Type in Global.org and when Windows finds this, ensure the full path name has AOL in it somewhere (right click on gobal.org and look for 'Properties' and left click once on this. A properties tab will open. You'll be able to spot the letters AOL somewhere). If it is an AOL file, delete it.

After all this, go to the AOL tab again on Start/Programs, click on AOL system tab, again delete the AOL adapter, and clear the cache. Re-boot your PC (switch off, then on). Start up AOL and login, then minimize AOL, and the look for Internet Explorer on your desktop or in Start/Programs (or click on Start/Run and type in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" and click on OK), when open, type in www.youngteens.co.uk , no, soz, couldn't resist it (how childish??), type www.arrse.co.uk. This should now work.

If not, you could try Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Options. When open, go to the Advanced tab, and on the bottom of this, click on Restore Defaults. There's a possibility a security setting is not correct in this. And if STILL not working, either reinstall the AOL software or ring AOL tech help and complain.

I'm trying to get a forum software upgrade installed today which is supposed to cure the problem. I'll keep you posted.

OK. Done. Would any users who have had problems posting (particularly AOL users) please try the modified test site at http://www.arrse.co.uk/205test/index.php. This is a copy of the site as it was at 2330 last night, but with the software upgrade applied. Any comments back in here please.

Thanks for your help.

Chaps,
Whenever I first come into ARRSE, the forums with new post are correctly highlighted as red with the date of their last post. However, when I go into a specific forum, and then come out of it, all the other forums have reset to white (as if they've not had new posts) and have dates of last post as 12 Jul. The latest posts are there when you open each forum up, however, it's a tad annoying.
If I go to a different website, and then re-enter ARRSE (as it were), it's the same story.
Anyone else having similar snagettes?
Regards,
M2 :?

This site has now been upgraded to the same level as the test site (now deleted). This should help AOL users, but we are now running "Beta" software so more bugs may appear. Let me know!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FORMER_FYRDMAN ARRSE: Site Issues 8
F Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2
alfred_the_great ARRSE: Site Issues 3