Problem with pull ups..

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by letsrock121, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i going through recruit process however
    can do 37 press ups
    46 sit ups
    1.5 mile in 14 min..
    (i know it is not enough however this is improving )

however big problem with Pull up/chin ups..
    somehow cant do them at all...

any tips and tricks..

2. I'm just guessing as I don't know you but I would suggest going from the rest of your post, that you are too fat and weak to lift your own bodyweight. Try getting fit and/or losing weight.

3. I find that if you 'wiggle' the pull ups they don't catch your knob and ball sack. If you're struggling with them either go straight to normal pants or stick with nappies.

Hope this helps.

4. Just caught your post on the news feed, thought I'd drop in. Pull-ups are a really good bodyweight exercise, in my opinion the best one for upper-body strength.

A few tips for increasing the number you can do:

i) Get someone to assist you, by pushing up underneath your legs, continue this over the days (i.e. get a training partner), until you can do a few more, repeat.

ii) Do negative pull-ups, what this entails is holding yourself up at the bar (jump if necessary), then slowly lower yourself down, perform reps of these in the same way you'd do pull-ups (i.e. pyramids). These are a stinger, but they'll help.

iii) Do multiple sets of lower reps, (i.e. 10 reps of 1 pull-up), anything to get you doing more, the higher sets will come later on.

Best of luck!

-Tango

5. Seriously 1.5 miles in 14 mins!! :x

I can just about walk it in that time and i am 38!

May i suggest that you sort your time out as a matter of priority, lose some weight and the pull ups will come!!

6. Speak to your Unit PTI, that's what they are there for. Ask for a training programme and if they is worth their weight as a PTI then they will provide you with a schedule that focuses on the key elements involved in passing your PFA.

But seriously, how old are you? It shocks me when I see lads of under 21 struggle with 1.5 mile run in 10.30.

I have just had an oxygen thief wanting to join my unit, ran it in little under 20 minutes and then couldn't understand why we told him he needs to sort his fitness out and come back in 6 months.

7. You do know you're supposed to run the 1.5 mile and not leopard crawl around it.

8. Backwards

9. Just get the bar lowered dopey, that way start with legs slightly bent, straighten them as your chin clears the bar. Simples.

10. Easy fellas, my phys was shite when I first joined, the guy just needs a bit of encouragement.

I'd recommend you mix your training up mate, get some hill sprints in, longer runs (3 miles plus) and try setting yourself some circuit training up. Also perhaps try taking up a sport if you haven't already, muay thai boxing is particularly good as it is an all body workout.

Reference pull ups, you'll only get better the more you do, there are no shortcuts. Put in the effort and reap the rewards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.