problem with chinups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by matt_1234, May 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, i can whack out 40 pressups inside a minuite, which i think is fairly good, but yet i can only manage 4 chinups, just wondering if you could share any tips or info that would help me to achieve at least 10 chins.

cheers

Matt

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Chin-up's eh?? I could never figure out which one to get over the bar! Seriously tho,I was never any good at them too.I was told if you keep your hands in line with your shoulders it helps.

3. Good effort on the pressups.
    Have you tried switching your grip? Ie. try with your palms facing forwards and then again with your palms facing backwards.

A great tip that I heard was to put a bar across the door of a room that you go into a lot of times a day - your bedroom or your living room or whatever - and just do a pullup every time you walk under it. Before you know it you'll be doing 40 a day.

4. 11D

11D Old-Salt

My old PTI used to say to me....

"11D......chin ups are just like walking.....you've just got to get used to them"

WHat I am trying to say is keeping chinning away at them. THe bar accross the door idea is a goodun. ALso try doing a chin up session in you local gym, using the 'pyramid' technique. i.e 5 then rest, 4 then rest, 3 then rest........etc etc.

Hope this helps

5. If that fails, stick a broom across the backs of two chairs and build yourself up to "full" chinups using that, worked for me and i can do about 10 or so now from a start point of .5 chinups

6. I left the Army after 10 years. I was a PTI for 4 of those and left to become a personal trainer in Canary Wharf London. After gaining a world of physical training knowledge above and beyond what the army taught me I can still only agree with the advice you have already been given. I might suggest a couple more ideas, as follows:

1) Practice on a low to ground bar with your heels out to the front and resting on the ground, body straight and bring your chin to the bar. This will not assist with the body to weight ratio endurance however it will develop your technique and develop your chest, bi's and tri's.

2) Use a weight assisted machine and gradually take the assited weight away as you progress.

3) Use Freeweight Bench press and Lateral Raise Machine regularly. This encoporates the agoniser/antagoniser muscle training system. You will also recruit other supportive muscles that will need to be developed to carry out your heaves.

4) Practice makes perfect so to improve your quantity of heaves, just do them! Remembering your rest is as important as your exercise. You may want to help the process by using creatine before the workout.

5) Use a partner to help lift part of your bodyweight on your legs to get the most out of the last part of your exercise.

7. I left the Army after 10 years. I was a PTI for 4 of those and left to become a personal trainer in Canary Wharf London. After gaining a world of physical training knowledge above and beyond what the army taught me I can still only agree with the advice you have already been given. I might suggest a couple more ideas, as follows:

1) Practice on a low to ground bar with your heels out to the front and resting on the ground, body straight and bring your chin to the bar. This will not assist with the body to weight ratio endurance however it will develop your technique and develop your chest, bi's and tri's.

2) Use a weight assisted machine and gradually take the assited weight away as you progress.

3) Use Freeweight Bench press and Lateral Raise Machine regularly. This encoporates the agoniser/antagoniser muscle training system. You will also recruit other supportive muscles that will need to be developed to carry out your heaves.

4) Practice makes perfect so to improve your quantity of heaves, just do them! Remembering your rest is as important as your exercise. You may want to help the process by using creatine before the workout.

5) Use a partner to help lift part of your bodyweight on your legs to get the most out of the last part of your exercise.

8. As ytomk says just get into a habit of doing them, i used to just do as many as i could once a day. Every few days you manage an extra one and so on.

9. sorry im a mong

10. I had one of those bar things on my bedroom doorframe (btw really screws the paintwork up) and made a rule to knock a few out everytime I walked under it, I found its not strength but technique, there a "way" of doing them

Also your problem might be that you are using a round bar, the army normally uses a flat bar (bit like a plank) and this gave me support for my wrists and made it easier.

11. He is totally right. The frame does support your wrists making it a bit easier than a bar however if u train to do the old 'Wax on, wax off' ethos (on the bar) then when u get to the army course selection or training day u will find it easier and be able to do a lot more.

Big Clue to success - Train with a partner and you will find you progress even faster than you would on your own.

12. So what's this 'wax on, wax off' ethos (on the bar), then, CPOAAC. If it's old, I'm sure I must've heard of it (since I'm old and have been doing chinup/pullups since Jesus was a Corporal), but I haven't!

MsG

13. Seriously, Bin those bolt on to the door frame jobbies and get yourself a 'powerbar'. I got one a few months back and it is so sexual! just watch the video on this link!

http://www.bodyhut.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=851&1p%3D6k5l4d5v8i2y1z8i%260h5v%3D7t5l5l7t2o5v%266k%3D0.21

I couldnt even do 2 when i started, now i can whack off 10 in one sitting :) (good for a fatty)

Tip: everyone will tell you this but put it somewhere you walk past frequently, and when you do just do as many as you can.. You'll soon notice the difference

14. ha yeah i really suck at these, i can do 6 on my little brothers swing in the garden, i figuerd if i keep doing press-ups, barbells and stuff i should get better...does anyone know, how many inside a min i should be able to do? (to pass selection)

15. For what it's worth, I second (or third, or whatever) the view that the key to chin-ups is actually doing them.

I spent literally years trying to improve using the weight-assisted machines in the gym. To no avail.

Spent €14.95 in Decathlon on a bar like this jobbie here and made sure to have a go at it every day. Within a few weeks I had improved about 800 per cent (and so was able to do eight).

Since then, I've been too "busy" to do that every day and, surprise, I can now do fewer. Lame, or what?