Problem with ankles/lower legs when running/tabbing

Hi...

I'm looking for some general advice about my ankles/lower legs when I run/tab....

Over the last 3 years I've started to experience problems with my shins/lower calves/ankles when running/tabbing...

Its got to the extent where I cant really run far anymore before my ankles go 'floppy' and I cant move my feet in a correct running motion (I can get them moving in front of each other, but they just seem to 'slap' onto the ground). I also get a severe pain in my shins that feels like they are burning, and will split open(as if they've been over-inflated)....

Sometimes, if I try and push through it, I end up almost being unable to walk for a while, and physically shaking with the pain....

It happens as well on CFT's, usually after the first 1/2 mile but I've always been able to overcome it and finish, but my state various from fcuked for a week .

I'm generally fit, a touch overweight, and walk a few miles every day to get to work with few problems like this, though it has been know to surface as I'm nearing work...

Has anyone any advice/stretches/reccomendations as to what I can do? I'm setting myself a deadline of 3 months to try and get my fitness back up to a good level again, and have been cycling a lot, but obviously that wont be enough....

Had the same problem, turned ot the arches of my feet had collapsed which was causing shin splints. Quick trip to the podometrist or something like that. A pair of corective insoles
and the problem appears to have dissapeared. Suffered with this for 3 years before it was sorted out. Wish I had gone sick earlier, It was eventually PT three
times a week with the Gurkhas that brought on to much pain so I got it looked into.

Swimming is good. It's a lot easier on your joints than running. I had a chronic ankle problem a few years ago and added swimming a few times a week to my routine. Since then my ankle hasn't been bothering me and my stamina has improved. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jip Travolta ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
I ARRSE: Site Issues 26