Problem on exact DAOR window closing date

Joined at Nov 7 with a 2 week Christmas leave, I’m considering DAOR now. I know that the window opens after 4 weeks and closes before 3 months of service, but is the Christmas leave included in that 3 months or still be after week 12? I.e. the window closes on Feb 7 or 21?

I’ve been asking my chain of command for 5 days, literally knocking the office door everyday, but they kept ignoring. Honestly I’m frustrated about how I am treated as this should be my basic right to know the date.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’d say it starts the day you signed up. So you have a fortnight to get your act together.

In 1975, the equivalent was between 8 weeks and three months. RMP wouldn't let me transfer. Lucky for me I had taken my paperwork so that when the OC said I had plenty of time to make a decision, I knew he was trying to filibuster me and called him out.

On a Monday. On Friday I was at home, and after a few weeks chilling, joined a troop of knights that cared for neither wounds nor scars.

Just saying.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
They are probably "ignoring" you because they think you are able to get through how you are feeling at the moment, and it would be better for you to crack on.
They might be right.

Incidentally, you posted at 0408am. When I was in Basic, admittedly nearly 40 years ago,I can't think of a situation where I would be on the internet (yes I know it didn't exist back then) or on my phone,or have the time to be writing such stuff at that time of night.

They are probably "ignoring" you because they think you are able to get through how you are feeling at the moment, and it would be better for you to crack on.
They might be right.

Incidentally, you posted at 0408am. When I was in Basic, admittedly nearly 40 years ago,I can't think of a situation where I would be on the internet (yes I know it didn't exist back then) or on my phone,or have the time to be writing such stuff at that time of night.
Because I was worrying about this issue for weeks and still can’t get an accurate answer from my chain of command which I think I deserve to know. I can’t get sleep well every night.

They might be right.

And even they ‘think’ I can crack on, isn’t it my right to know about my timing? They can’t control my will to DAOR or not

Write a letter (or email) and date it stating your desire to DAOR. Hand it in (send it).

Speak to either or all of the following The Padre, Army Welfare Services, the WRVS, who you should be able to access without going through your chain of Command.

Failing that phone the AWS IAT, your life, your future, you can get advice from these people, because if you don’t ‘fit’ you will have a f*cking miserable existence for the next 4 years and frankly be a burden on your unit.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Joined at Nov 7 with a 2 week Christmas leave, I’m considering DAOR now. I know that the window opens after 4 weeks and closes before 3 months of service, but is the Christmas leave included in that 3 months or still be after week 12? I.e. the window closes on Feb 7 or 21?

I’ve been asking my chain of command for 5 days, literally knocking the office door everyday, but they kept ignoring. Honestly I’m frustrated about how I am treated as this should be my basic right to know the date.
As the DAOR right is for "3 months from the date of your enlistment", I agree with @Brotherton Lad, the period of your Christmas leave is irrelevant to that calculation. There is other good advice on this thread. Good luck!

DAOR info here:

Latest Threads