Probate, Grant of Representation and Confirmation

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Just winding up my fathers estate after he passed away last month and encountered Probate, Grant of Representation and if in Scotland, Confirmation. Basically they are all the same thing. It involves a lot of work as YOU do the chasing about then pay a lawyer at a ridiculous fee to present it to the sheriff court who then charges you even more just to issue a document that gives you no more than what you had. Ie what it says in the will is what it says in the will.

Just another excuse for lawyers to get one last bite at the cherry and do **** all for it.

When my father passed away I did the probate as he made me executor or whatever it's called, it was fairly simple affair as his estate was just passing to my mother. Filled in the paperwork, visited the probate office and that was it done.

One thing I did realise going through this process is it's surprisingly easy to do yourself, unfortunately my mother has since fallen prey to solicitors and I'm no longer executor for her will.

Scavengers is a word best suited to them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Depends on the size of the estate and the details of the will. For simple circumstances, do it yourself.

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
When my father passed away I did the probate as he made me executor or whatever it's called, it was fairly simple affair as his estate was just passing to my mother. Filled in the paperwork, visited the probate office and that was it done.

One thing I did realise going through this process is it's surprisingly easy to do yourself, unfortunately my mother has since fallen prey to solicitors and I'm no longer executor for her will.

Scavengers is a word best suited to them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Yep, it's no problem if the estate is left to a surviving spouse however that is not the situation in the case I am dealing with.

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
We did my mother's

Lawyer wanted 2 k, then dropped to 1:5, at which my wife's spider senses kicked in........

DIY for about 200 quid.
Like you done it myself as you have to do all the work anyway, only cost me a load of time and £261 to apply for probate. The process is not as you would expect standard throughout Scotland with each Sheriffs offices having their own little quirks and a lot of "well we just like it that way". There is a 23 page document on line explaining how to fill in a 5 page form for example.

Even then individuals at the Sheriffs office have their own personal whims, one will accept any of the normal forms of ID, or any of the named executors applying while another functionary will insist on passport only for ID and or all named executors turning up in person for the application.

So pretty much you are at the mercy of the personal whims of a plethora of bureaucrats.

Latest Threads