Probably wrong area!-Engagement?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by cunning_stunt, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just got engaged (woohoo!) and I have to write a letter to my boss, what sort of format should this be in? Your help is appreciated.
  2. Been married twice. First time wrote a letter and the second didn't bother.

It is just a formality, so flower it up stating that you are asking for his permission to marry and what her name is, etc.

If nothing else, it will give you some face time with the boss!
  3. Do I write it as a personal letter?
  4. And if my OH has just left the army after 24 yrs, do I write: XXX Smith Formerly (insert corps/regt here) for their name? Or just XXX Smith, a teacher at XXX School or just XXX Smith?
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Should be (old and pompous here) an official letter but you are allowed to have a bit of fun in it. I've seen some crackers over the years - humour works.

As to the OH, simple miss will do;there is no need to feel that you need justify yourself or her to anyone.
  6. What are you going to do if he say's NO!!

Did you have to write a letter to her Father as well?
  7. xxxxxxxxxx
    SWxx xxx

10 November 2008

Dear Colonel xxxxx

I have the pleasure request your permission to marry xxxxxxxx xxxxx. We are hoping to get married within the next 12 months although I think the impending results of the postings board may have an impact on that plan.

Your support in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely

OIC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Or am I totally wide of themark?
  8. in_the_cheapseats

God, you make it sound as if you are asking the QM for a new piece of kit that you don't think you will get!

You chose. Official or demi but make your mind up. Don't mix. If in doubt, look at the defence writing gumpf.

Get rid of the "your support..blah blah..! Yuck.

Is the Col a good guy? If so, add something about the wedding invite being there but he'll need to arrange things so the wedding can go ahead. It's a great way to get your posting preference in, tongue in cheek. Humour him!

Edited to add - Congratulations BTW.
  9. sir,
    I wish to submit thie my application to f*** the rest of my life

10. On a cold winters night in a belfast streelt
    i became to well aquainted with death
  11. Just because you cocked your marriage up, doesn't mean I will. I was actually after some constructive advice from the more experienced personnel on this board.
  12. Write officially to the Col of the Regt, but speak to your CO first. That way the CO can feel pleased that you have told him first and then help you get the letter right. As always it seems like an anachronism but it always goes down well with more senior types - and conversely not being consulted always gets them quite narked. Congrats.
  13. Write to Regt Col for permission to get engaged, CO for permission to actually marry & OC for permission to go 'all the way'.

Edited to add:

Approval for 'Heavy Petting' is all done on JPA nowadays.
  14. Grumpygit Quote

"What are you going to do if he say's NO!!"

Phew........... thank you sir!!!!!
  15. in_the_cheapseats