Pro Tamil Tigers clashes..whatever next!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Diago, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pro Tamil tigers protesters in London clashing with police..FFS (technophobe) so no link

Surely as active supporters of terrorism they should all be arrested under the anti terrorism act and deported and of course its you the tax payer who will pick up the tab for policing of this protest...I am all for freedom of speech and all that but feck off to the country that you want to protest against :roll:

2. If they were that honest in their beliefs they'd have f*cked off back home and helped their mates in the struggle instead of watching them being slaughtered on the beach. Just another bunch of foreign terrorist supporters taking full advantage of our freedoms as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a fan of armchair fundamentalists in any shape or form. Maybe we can force them down to a small strip of Brighton beach just to see if they really are still that concerned?

3. [​IMG]

Bit late now, I'd say :D

4. Good drill's the Sri lankan Army, the Tamil's have had this coming for year's :wink:

5. These Tamil Tigers had it coming as far as I can tell, well done to the Sri Lankan Army for bringing 26 years of pointless terrorism to an end...are the Sri Lankans a 'British-descended' army like the Indians or Pakistanis?

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'll echo that. They had it coming. There's only one way to deal with terrorists. Kill them all.

7. The British recieved Ceylon (as was) from the Dutch when William of Orange the Dutch consort of Queen Anne became joint monarchs of the UK. So most likely.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Bit more to it - Ceylon's Sceptered Isle changed hands several times in the 18th C. but we got it eventually. Under our rule it was a pretty peaceful place so didn't need any big military buildup. However the forces they had were 'ex-British' in a cultural sense. Their (tiny) 'Navy' was run by a 'Commodore' who was trying to make political mileage about the beastly Brits having used Trinco for fuelling ships on their way to Suez. Nasty piece of work in my book.

I had a month there on sick leave in 1957. The RN was pulling out and the tea plantation owners were being 'encouraged' to put locals in as managers. The owners were also being pushed around, not only to provide schools and clinics but also to put 1/3 acreage for rice which of course won't grow on most of the land suited for tea. The top dogs were the Sinhalese who were already baiting the Tamils by changing the bus number plates from Roman to Sinhalese script. Large parasite population of monks.

Example of our handover, from a train trip: two bods at other end of long carriage, clearly plain clothes policemen: 1st bod: mutter mutter mutter. 2nd bod: 'Oh no! That is bribery and corruption! Besides, you might get found out.'

Basically I thought the locals pretty useless but there was good stuff in the shops - jewellery, tortoiseshell etc.
    Also, probably the most beautiful country (out of 45) I saw during my service. Staggeringly beautiful in fact.

Pity they got a pasting in the Tsunami though.

9. I wonder what they're going to do with all of those buckshee flip flops?

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

William of Orange was the consort of Queen Mary. Although joint monarchs in name, he really ran the joint.

Queen Anne ruled in her own right much later as the last of the Hanoverians.

11. True, why should they protest here? What has it to do with us? FFS :x

12. Looks like half of them have been stolen already....

Watch out for the opening of Bannerjees Used Flip Flop Emproium any day now.

:wink:

Rodney2q

13. Now that Prabhakaran's dead perhaps these protests can die down. It's not as if anyone gave a sh1t anyway; kudos to Sri Lanka for showing the world how you deal with terrorists.

14. Ummm... wah shield up but no, you're wrong!

Anne succeeded William and Mary (her sister) and was the last of the Stuarts, to be followed by the first of the Hanovarians, George (her second cousin).

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks for that. Memory is slipping since I last visited Woodstock. I stand by my original statement that William was the consort of Mary, not Anne, though!