Privates won’t be on parade, but burlesque is too risqué for troops

Link to Article
The Times said:
The Ministry of Defence has vetoed a night out for injured soldiers to a burlesque show, after the evening of basques, feathers, and strategically placed sequins was deemed too risqué.

Stubs, a charity which helps the social reintegration of seriously injured soldiers, had bought 25 tickets for the Crown Jewels: Best of British cabaret show in London tonight, as a treat for veterans recovering at the Headley Court rehabilitation unit on their return from Afghanistan. However, there was disappointment when Commanding Officer, Group Captain Clare Walton, cancelled the group outing days before the show.

Amanda O’Farrell, the charity’s fundraising manager who bought the tickets two months ago and who had arranged for the soldiers to meet the dancers before the performance, said she had no choice but to respect the decision. “The commanding officer just felt it wasn’t appropriate, which is a shame,” she said.

The charity is now appealing for any other groups with links to the Armed Forces and an interest in the performing arts to take up the VIP, front-seat tickets. “I’d offered them to the Chelsea Pensioners, but haven’t heard back,” Mrs O’Farrell said.

The show at Bush Hall, in Shepherd’s Bush, West London, is one of many events taking place in the capital as part of the nine-day London Burlesque Festival, now in its seventh year.

The group were booked to see the 7.30pm performance, featuring acts including Wild Card Kitty, Coco Deville, Hettie Heartache and Bettsie Bonbon. The grande finale is a double act called the Champagne Bubblies, starring two blondes from Brighton and a lot of champagne (they don’t drink it). “A lot of thought went into it,” said Mrs O’Farrell. “We picked an earlier show so they weren’t too tired, and checked wheelchair access with the venue.”

She said the charity enjoyed good links with Headley Court, in Surrey, which provides rehabilitation for casualties with injuries ranging from amputations to psychological trauma. “We try to help with social reintegration. A lot of these guys are really confident after their injuries but there’s some guys who really struggle to get back into those situations. So, it’s just trying to get them back out there, going out, doing things any soldiers would be involved with, so they can handle people looking at their injuries. Cabaret can be a little more alternative. People accept all sorts.”

Previous outings had concentrated mainly on sport, with several successful outings to the Harlequins home ground in Twickenham. “The executive box at The Stoop was a tried and tested method, over quite a few seasons, and we wanted to branch out. Not everybody is interested in rugby. Maybe I should have picked something in the middle.”

Chaz Royal, the festival organiser, said he was surprised by the decision, given the long tradition of cabaret performers and singers entertaining the troops. “I’m used to that sort of reaction when we do tours in Bible Belt America, but never in the UK. I think it was just some prude putting her foot down.”

He added that there may have been some misunderstanding over the content of the show, which has no full nudity, with performers only stripping down to tassels, feathers, and “pasties” (nipple stickers).
“It’s classic, glamorous and tasteful. Hooting and hollering is encouraged but not in a demeaning way,” he said. “It’s not a seedy show by any means. You could take your granny to it.”

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence: “Headley Court has a strong relationship with a number of charities who provide generous gifts for our injured service personnel. On this occasion we felt the offer was inappropriate. However, we are grateful to charities and the general public for their continued support for the Armed Forces.”
I'll quite happily take the tickets, and I think I'm in agreement with the article in the sense that this could be very much a case of misunderstanding what Burlesque is exactly like. Poor lads (and potentially women) from Headley Court, could have been an enjoyable night out. I wonder if the Chelsea Pensioners will take up the offer of the tickets.

Only in Britain they can be prude enough to cancel something like this for the lads/lassies!

I'm not surprised at the narrow mindedness of the CO.

Headley isn't as great as it is often portrayed, whilst most of the therapy is excellent, the overall management is quite poor.

Decisions are not made for the benefit of the troops. It always feels like they will take the easiest path rather than put the work in to ensure individual disabilities are correctly catered for.

A lezzer would have enjoyed it. I think it's more likely she's just a humourless ******** content to shit on anything that doesn't fit with her concept of fun.

Burlesque is shit anyway. It's just suggestive fat strippers with femme fatale hair does and no bottle doing their best to hide the goods.

Shit house. Take them to a real strip club and have done with it.

" Previous outings had concentrated mainly on sport, with several successful outings to the Harlequins home ground in Twickenham." so it's OK to see chaps thrusting themselves between other chaps in the scrum but a bit of tit is out of order? Sad cow- it's a shame that Headley Court is controlled by the Crabs ( I know the original remit and behest was for that to occur) but a more PC part of the forces could not be found. God forbid people should enjoy themselves. At least the swimming pool is bigger than in my day but only because the people of Leatherhead were offended by the wounded!

" Previous outings had concentrated mainly on sport, with several successful outings to the Harlequins home ground in Twickenham." so it's OK to see chaps thrusting themselves between other chaps in the scrum but a bit of tit is out of order? Sad cow- it's a shame that Headley Court is controlled by the Crabs ( I know the original remit and behest was for that to occur) but a more PC part of the forces could not be found. God forbid people should enjoy themselves. At least the swimming pool is bigger than in my day but only because the people of Leatherhead were offended by the wounded!
Another crab with an inferiority complex? Wow. I can almost guarantee some of the DVDs at Headley are far raunchier - it's the nature of the people there.

Simbo, afaik it was one mother who made a complaint. It was discussed on here at the time.

I've never seen anyone from Headley in Leatherhead but I hope they are managing get into town for a change of scenery.

Maybe they were worried that if they attended then the Daily Mail or Sun would run some shit stirring story about MOD sending troops to 'sleazy' establishments, thus allowing their readers to be overcome by outrage and the sight of girls wearing not very much clothing in the accompanying pictures?

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

S

Screw_The_Nut

Oberst-Gruppenführer Clare Walton sounds like a right bitch. I'd slap her with my prosthetic limb, if I had one!

People frequently give money for the patients welfare fund, this along with other funds has been consolidated with other funds into the newly titled COs fund.

I've always been of the opinion that if someone contributes believing it is for the benefit of injured service personnel, then that's how it should be spent, not subsumed into a fund that can be just as easily be spent on COs cocktails.

oldbaldy

LE
Maybe they were worried that if they attended then the Daily Mail or Sun would run some shit stirring story about MOD sending troops to 'sleazy' establishments, thus allowing their readers to be overcome by outrage and the sight of girls wearing not very much clothing in the accompanying pictures?
With them sat on Dingerr's lap. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WEATHERMAN1956 The Intelligence Cell 5
freebie RLC 36
E The Book Club 5