Privately owned firearms and Married accom.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by hairydavey, Jan 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick one as I think I unfortunately already know the awnser to this!

The missis and myself currently live in private accomodation but the discussion recently surfaced about moving into a married quarter as obviously it's cheaper than renting.

However, I've been shooting rimfire and fullbore at a couple of clubs now for a number of months and am in the process of obtaining an FAC.

I suppose storing firearms in a gunsafe in married quarters is probably out of the question, but has anyone else been in this position and if so how did you store your firearms and ammo?

2. Well, I'm sat here in my SFA, and downstairs, in a cabinet, there are 2 rifles and 2 shotguns, the only reason that it's only that many is that A&S Police (spit :evil: ) wouldn't let me have the total of 9 that I had in my previous pad without fitting an alarm. Never had any problems with the FEO, never seen the need to consult DE, though the DE bloke at my last posting knew full well about the cabinet.
  3. Hmmm.

Looks like I'll drop Defence Estates an email, though I won't get my hopes up and if they won't allow it then I'll have to stick with using the club guns for now.

Can't bear the thought of dropping money on my own rifles only to have to put them in the unit armoury where fuckwits will play around with them.
  4. Why bother e-mailing DE? You'll just end up writing to an anonymous nurk without a clue, who, because they probably don't understand the question, will give you a, default, computer-says-no answer.

Just put the cabinet in, the understairs cupboard is a good spot, out of sight and access to the concrete floor to bolt it down.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, I'm just telling you what I do and have done before, without any problems from any parties. I'm NOT claiming to know the rights and wrongs, but IMO, the worst you are doing is not complying with the conditions of your licence to occupy, FEO certainly have had no issue with a cabinet in SFA (in my personal experience)
  5. When I first got a rifle, I was able to store it at my gunclub. It was a small club and the club chairman was a RFD.

It depends on how long you have been at your club. For me it was 2-3 years. So I was 'accepted' into the place. Some clubs can be weird though.

May be worth asking if DE tell you no.
  6. Policy is:

Storage of Firearms – All privately owned firearms and ammunition must be covered by a valid Firearms or Shotgun Certificate. Occupants of SFA are to store privately owned firearms in approved Service Armouries where possible. Where this is not possible, the storage of firearms and ammunition is permitted in SFA with prior written consent of the HIC/Housing Provider and in accordance with Part 7, Section 7, Chapter 3 of JSP 440 (Edn 3.6).
  7. Well bugger me, that's what I'm looking for! Pombsen, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that info you have just posted would you?

Sounds like the solution to my problem (hopefully!).

Thanks for the advice so far chaps, I just want a solution that isn't going to drop me in the shit and is above board without having to go down the "store in the unit armoury" route.

Secretly I'm wishing the other half would leave the whole married quarter thing alone, would make my life easier!
  8. In Germany our CR NCO regularly reviews cabinets in SFA to check it's all in accordance with regs.

I take it your not in Germany? If you are I can put you in touch with her for advice
  9. Afraid not mate, I'm in Plymouth.

I've been told by a few other civvie shooters that Devon and Cornwall Police are pretty good with regards to cabinet checks etc due to the relatively high number of FAC holders down here so I don't expect problems with them, but I do need to find out where I stand with Defence Estates so I'm all legal and above board.

Just trying to play it safe :)