Private Work in Middle East.

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by morky, Nov 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been considering contacting the Nemesis Group for a while now regarding their training courses as I am interested in working in the private security industry. If anybody here has done the course, did it enable you to find work and was it work doing in your opinion?

Also, would learning to speak some Arabic make me a more attractive prospect to a potential employer?

Thanks in advance.

morky.

2. What the fcuk do you think?

3. Well I don't know what the situation is out there.

I am not going to assume anything.

Do the companies interact with Iraqi people or do the civilian contactors communicate through military intermediataries?

Do they have their own, local, translators embedded with the contractors, meaning that there would be little need for prospective employees to have basic language skills?

Do you have anything constructive to add?

morky.

4. Well lets have a look at the middle east. The majority over in that neck of the woods speak Arabic. So basic like "Put the gun down before i skull fcuk you", "Get your fcuking car out the way before i shoot you" and everyones all time favourite "Die Mustafah" are always going to help. However A more in depth knowledge of the local dialect will allow you to communicate with the other 98% of people in that country.

5. Thank you.

There is a Yemeni resource centre in the South end of Liverpool where you can learn a bit of the language apparently. I'll call in tomorrow.

morky.

6. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Essential basic language course:

Bira - Beer

Kebab - Kebab

Bint - Bint

Bunduq/Banadik - Rifle

That should see you through the first rotation, covering the essentials, Fcuk, food & fight! :wink:

7. Be careful what you take on board. Shop around a bit. I did a 4 week home study course and the dialect for the area was right but pronunciation was shoite. Suggest you speak to the Liverpool Uni's languages department for advice.

8. Thank you.

One concern I have is over the various dialects and accents. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time and money learning from a Kuwaiti and then find out that there are major differences when I actually need to get myself out of the poo.

Imagine being taught English by a Geordie and then trying to get along in Dublin!

Thanks for your advice mate.

I'll call the Uni in the morning.

News from Nowhere on Bold St will probably be able to put me onto someone as well. Better not tell them why I want to learn though.

Cheers,

morky.

9. Given your query alsewhere about getting employment with a GBH on your sheet, I would think it would take more than Salaam Aleikum to get someone to employ you.

10. Morky,
    You will need to be very careful with dialects if you're serious about learning Arabic. I'm assuming that it's Iraqi dialect you're after. The score with Arabic dialects is basically this;
    You can fit spoken Arabic into three groups, most Arabs, whether they're in Morocco, Syria or Iraq will generally have 3 levels of Arabic that they can either speak or understand.

Level 1: Modern Standard Arabic. MSA
    This is the Arabic that most equates to "Oxford English". It is the language of Television and Radio accross the Arab-speaking world. The majority of arabs can communicate in it, but ALL Arabs can understand it, due to the fact that it's what they hear when they turn the tv or radio on. Educated Arabs communicate with foreigners and with Arabs from other countries in MSA.

Level 2: Educated dialect.
    This is the most common of levels. This is the type of Arabic that people educated to an average standard will use when speaking amongst themselves. It's still Arabic, but in Iraq, will contain words, phrases and a few peculiar quirks of grammar that Arabs from say, Egypt, would not use. You can buy courses specifically in Iraqi dialect, I'll list a couple of the good ones at the bottom of this posting.

Level 3: Uneducated dialect.
    This is the Arabic that the uneducated farmer/gangster will use. He will use words and slang phrases that people in the next province will not have heard of, so don't bother trying to learn this. It's a nightmare!

My best advice would be to go for a course in MSA, and if you want to do it properly, learn to read and write it as well. You can't do this with either of levels 2 or 3, as they're only spoken. ALL Arabs will write in MSA, even if they speak dialect. Once you've got a good grasp of MSA, then have a bash at the dialect, although with a good grasp of MSA, you'll start to pick dialect up when you're in country.
    I've worked with Arabic for 11 years and have done 2 tours of TELIC, specifically as an interpreter so trust me on this, there's no easy fix to do it well, just hard work. If you would like to know anything specific, please feel free to PM me. If you go to the Yemeni cultural centre, make it clear to them that you want to learn MSA or "classical Arabic" as they may call it.

To start MSA, try .......

Teach yourself Arabic (book and CD pack) by Jack Smart and Frances Altorfer, about 18 quid from Amazon.

Beginners Arabic Script, by John Mace, about 7 quid from Amazon.

for Iraqi dialect, there's not much good stuff, but I do recommend....

A Basic Course in Iraqi Arabic by W.M. Erwin comes with a cd for about 24 quid.

As I said, I would strongly recommend getting a decent grounding in MSA before you look at the dialect though. If you're serious, it's no quick process.

Hope all this helps, Best of British mate.

11. Bagster, sincere thanks for your advice mate. I never expected to recieve such well informed advice on here and registering on the forum has been worthwhile just for that reply alone. I'm glad I asked about the local differences as well. I could have wasted a lot of time and effort here!

I have access to a lot of Arabic television stations at home so hopefully this will help me in a way too, once I have had a look at the CD's and books that you mentioned and have some sort of foundation.

I would love to be able to travel around certain areas, including a lot of Afghanistan, and while that would be impossible for me right now I am hoping that learning to speak some Arabic will open doors for me in years to come when things have settled down a bit.

I'll have a look on ebay and amazon now Bagster. I think I will hang fire on the Arabic Script though. I'll have a bash at understanding words and phrases and hopefully build my confidence up first. I can see the script being a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks again Bagster.

I'm sure I will be in touch when I hit my first brick wall!

morky.

12. Morky,
    Glad to be of help shipmate, you'll never be short of work if you can speak Arabic well. You'd be surprised at how easy the script is when you've unlocked a few secrets. As I said mate, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you any help I can. You're quite right at the words and phrases building confidence, and whatever you do, DONT be afraid of speaking out loud. It's quite hard to get used to as there are sounds in Arabic that are alien to us, but you'll have to overcome the natural inhibition to making stupid noises. You'll make mistakes, we all did, but as long as you can learn from them and move on, then it's nothing to worry about. Concentrate on Arabic grammar as it can be quite complex with a tw_t of a verb system at first glance. Don't be put off as you'll need to master this if you want to communicate effectively and not sound like a mong. If you find yourself needing any help, please let me know.
    Once again, good luck and stick with it mate.

Bagster.

13. Anyone know any Arabic courses in the South?

I have done the CD based stuff and now want to speak it with others.

14. It might be worth seeing if your unit can justify and spare you getting on the Arabic Survival Course at DSL Beaconsfield. 12 week course taking you to survival level with an exam at the end. Might be worth having a word with your adjt or someone like that.