Private to Field Marshel

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Apr 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apart from Bill Slim did any other Soldier go from Private to Field Marshel ?
    john
    Cant immagine the other services have anyone either.

2. Field Marshal Sir William R Robertson GCB GCMG GCVO DSO LLD DL
    Biog

3. Not quite field marshall but mate's Older brother joined in the ranks and made brigadier general. His name was Porter. he died recently.

4. The career of "Wully" Robertson is interesting, especially set against his time. To have been commisioned into a cavalry Regiment then, and to have to live on one' pay, must have been grim. For his Regiment to have accepted him says something of his talent, especially as I am led to believe he was rather "unreconstructed".
    As CIGS during WW1, he was reportedly more than a match for Lloyd George.

5. I recall that Enoch Powel, yes him, went from Pvt to Brigadier in a VERY short space of time.

6. I think Enoch Powell must be close to the record for greatest rank climb in shortest time - pvt to brigadier in four years or less?

Quite a few WW1 officers made it from junior officer to acting brigadier in the same time frame (Jack, etc).

Lord Louis Mountbatten rose from Lt(RN) to Supreme Commander SE Asia in four years, but I guess that was in the same category as Winston Churchill switching from Capt(?) in/near the trenches to First Lord of the Admiralty a few months later..

Hitler? Pvt to (nearly) world dictator?

7. daz

daz LE

Other way around I think, Churchill was the First Lord of the Admiralty until the Dardanelles fiasco, after which he was forced out of office.

He then went of for a stint at the front, first with the guards and then as a battalion commander with a jock outfit (6th something or other) before returning back to parliament to become munitions minister.

Daz

8. I believe Field Marshall The Viscount Slim started out as an OCdt in Birmingham OTC. There are a lot of sources that say he began as a private soldier but I believe they are wrong. Perhaps someone would care to shed soem light on this issue. I am prepared to be corrected.

9. Harry Smith, a rifleman of the 95th Rifles - went on to be a general and later a provincial governor. Ladysmith in South Africa is named after his wife

10. Didn`t "Fighting Mac" commit suicide in a Paris hotel,due to being accused of having sex with boys and/or being gay?? Which of course the sex allegation would suggest!!!!!

11. Army of one wrote
    I believe Field Marshall The Viscount Slim started out as an OCdt in Birmingham OTC. There are a lot of sources that say he began as a private soldier but I believe they are wrong. Perhaps someone would care to shed soem light on this issue. I am prepared to be corrected.[/quote]

The Burma Star Association says

He began at the bottom of the ladder as a Territorial private. August 4, 1914, found him at Summer camp with his regiment. The Territorials were at once embodied in the Regular Army, and Slim got his first stripe as lance-corporal. A few weeks later he was a private again, the only demotion that this Lieutenant-General has suffered.

john
    I had a sneaking suspicion that a 'Victorian' officer had made the same jump up the ranks. Thanks to all.

12. didn't ColourSgt. Bourne of Zulu/ Rorkes Drift fame rise to Lt. Colonel or something? [ having made Col/Sgt. by the age of 23! ]

13. I think the explanations for the apparent discrepancies about Slim's rank are

1. O/Cdt is an appointment not a rank. Slim's actual rank on enlistment in the OTC would have been Pte.

2. Some or all OTCs went to war in 1914 (wastefully as it turned out) as coys in their affiliated TA Bns.

14. Click on the link-you may find another point of view