Private Security Advice - Courses, good/bad?

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Screw_The_Nut, Dec 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone recommend any courses which are well run and worth the money? Any courses out there that guarantee emloyment after completion (anyone still do that?). Also are these courses a "pay and pass" type affairs? Cheers.
  2. There are many good courses out there at the moment. But many more awful ones.

It very much depends what part of the industry you want to get into, ie. maritime, C.P (executive style C.P in Europe), C.P (Hostile environment Personal Security Detail style security), consultancy ect ect. There are courses for every type of role.

I have been on the circuit for three years now and have been very lucky with work, however it is worth noting that many many people do these courses and really struggle to find work upon completion due to the huge competition for jobs. Training providers are making money by pumping more and more trainees into an already oversubscribed industry. Employers recognise that they no longer need to offer the big salaries that they were paying out in 2004 / 2005, and pay has therefore dropped. Also, many new comers to the industry who do now manage to get on the circuit end up working bad rotations 12/4 or worse.

If you let me know what sort of work you are intersted in doing, then I can try and point you in the right direction. I work for one of the major PMC's, and my advice would be to try and stick with the big names in the industry in terms of which companies you work for. Many smaller outfits pop up and disappear just as quickly.

You mentioned courses which guarantee employment. There are none, and in reality there never really were. I recall one outfit who used to offer such a guarantee; they would charge about 1500 GBP for a two week bodyguard course (this was pre SIA) with the promise of employment afterwards. Upon successful completion each graduate would be offered a single shift guarding a wharehouse at night for minimum wage, thus honouring the training providers promise of "employment". Despite this, there are two C.P courses which will routinely offer employment to suitable graduates who pass the course. If you want details let me know. There are also a few maritime firms who operate a similair set up, again I can pass on details if required.

Best of luck with it, although before embarking on a career in this industry, ensure you are happy with the current state of play and consider if there is anything else open to you that may be more stable.
  3. You need the services of the Baron.
  4. Thanks for the response! I was considering Europe or Middle east CP work. However I've know a few guys who are doing maritime, and have been for at least a year - and having a good time of it. I'm not about to leave the mob but it is a medium term possibility (1 or 2 years perhaps)...
  5. What Martin wrote above pretty much nailed it. I was on the circuit in London for about 4 years before I got bored and joined the Met Police.
    Like Martin I was very lucky with my contracts an networking and managed to pull in a damn good wage. Sadly the industry took a massive downturn in 2008/2009 due to over subscription of operatives and the breakup of lucrative middle east work. The companies realised they had the pick of many more people and dropped the wages. It got to the point that some companies were paying the RST teams £10 per hour, and the CP team were not on much more. Obviously there are still good companies paying decent wages, but nowhere near what they used to.

So, if you're going to do the course, make sure it's one that suits the sort of work you want to do, and don't expect to walk straight onto an amazing contract with a huge wedge of a pay packet. It might happen, but it's an incredibly slim chance!

According to the lads I'm keeping in contact with at the moment, the lucrative work at the moment is in Maritime Protection. Get the right quals and the right contract and you can make some serious money. Another line of work at the moment is working for the news companies in the war zones, protecting the reporters.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any more specific advice.
  6. If you are looking at that long away. I would not even bother looking now. I do psd in Baghdad and our world changes every week. Maritime is great money now but it won't be in 2 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers guys. The reason I'm considering it is due to the wage drop of going to civvie street. As a JNCO there isn't much chance of me starting a job on the same wage as I am now in the forces. So I'm not after mega-bucks, but a decent wage and possibility of longer holidays than most civvie jobs.
  8. Join the Police. Job security, quality banter and wages to match (if not exceed) military wages. Good scope for promotion, a range of jobs without major upheaval. It's not surprising there are so many ex forces in the job.
    Plus, every shift is different, and chicks love the uniform! ;0)
  9. What is the current state of recruitment for the Met at the moment? Just curious.
  10. To join the Met at the moment you have to apply as a special constable, serve a certain amount of hours and then apply for full time. It will more than likely change after the Olympics.
  11. Nevermind, deleted.
  12. Anyone got experience with Aegis?