Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private parking charge notice

All parking enforcement employers and employees should be bound and cooked over a slow fire. Worthless scum, the entire industry should banned as organised crime and extortion.

Dread

LE
It used to be the case that you could fob off the parking companies with a cheque for a couple of quid: equivalent to the 'wear and tear' on their tarmac caused by you using their parking lot, however a few years ago a parking company took a repeat offender to court and the guy was absolutely shafted by the court and made to pay a fortune (IIRC).

@mufftickler Unless you have been seriously ripped off/defrauded, you pay your debts. If you consume something or use a service (or borrow money from a licensed lender with clear understanding of what the contract entails), etc, then you pay your debt. To do otherwise is the mark of a scumbag with no integrity.

Slightly off topic, but a mate of mine defaulted on a credit arrangemrnt to the tune of £20.000.
When he was in a position to pay it off he rang the bank and was told it was a month too late and the debt was in the hands of the collection agency.
He was going off to live with a girlfriend in the States anyway, so had no worries.

Anyway, I Digress.
The one lesson he learnt was that the first thing that Google will throw up when you ask them about debt problems is to always acknowledge your debt by getting in touch with the company concerned.
Big mistake, the last thing you should do.
As soon as you do that then the debt stays with you, possibly for life. If you have no contact then eventually it expires and you walk away with no implications, even on your credit rating.
I really do not get that.
I understood that ignoring debt usually ends up with a person's credit rating getting shot to s*it, home & vehicles repo'd + Sheriffs selling your possessions...for starters and worse if you ( cough) arrange credit knowing you supplied false information and deception.....potentially jail. At least In Scotland it would go that way.
You cannot escape the paper trail, digital or otherwise.

endure

GCM
I understood that ignoring debt usually ends up with a person's credit rating getting shot to s*it, home & vehicles repo'd + Sheriffs selling your possessions...for starters and worse if you ( cough) arrange credit knowing you supplied false information and deception.....potentially jail. At least In Scotland it would go that way.

Google 'statute barred'

It was complicated, but it turned out when he came back to England that the debt collection company only had a phone number due to data protection laws.
He used to get aggressive calls from some scumbags in Scotland, he would politely ask them, that as he was not fluent in Jockinese, if he could talk to someone who spoke English.
Much fun was had.
@Dread He always fully intended to pay in full, but due to circumstances was a month late and was told it was out of the original lenders hands and they had sold the debt on.

Last edited:
As a veteran in Canada I have a veterans number plate, (serving in NATO makes you eligible) the wife also has one because she’s married to a veteran, there aren’t many places to pay for parking in Alberta except downtown Calgary but as a veteran I’m exempt. This year I had a new knee so my doctor gave me a disabled badge, now who is going to give a disabled veteran a ticket? I have to confess to parking in some very dodgy places, double yellows, junctions etc just to see but no tickets yet.
The UK has a long way to go when it comes to looking after it’s own.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
For the OP.
I think this has been discussed before, but advice is needed. I parked in a Tesco supermarket in a disabled bay. I did not display my disabled badge, and got a penalty notice. I received a "fine" for £70 reduced to £30 within 14 days. What really happens if I refuse to pay, or ignore, or what do I need to do to appeal. It is a firm on the BPA.

Try these people. How to appeal. Link

I parked, with permission, in a small car park. I gave my registration to the girl on reception, as required. I'm guessing she didn't record it properly, however, I'd written it in the visitors' book, although this was not required. About four months later I received an invoice for £180 late payment of charges.

I found these people POPLA who reviewed the case and dismissed the claim. Free service and, apparently, most private parking companies abide by their decisions.

On another occasion I received a charge notice from Aldi even though I had been in the store (returning a faulty item). I mentioned POPLA in my email and the problem went away.

As a veteran in Canada I have a veterans number plate, (serving in NATO makes you eligible) the wife also has one because she’s married to a veteran, there aren’t many places to pay for parking in Alberta except downtown Calgary but as a veteran I’m exempt. This year I had a new knee so my doctor gave me a disabled badge, now who is going to give a disabled veteran a ticket? I have to confess to parking in some very dodgy places, double yellows, junctions etc just to see but no tickets yet.
The UK has a long way to go when it comes to looking after it’s own.

we used to have tax discs, but they did away with them.
if you were registered disabled, the tax disc said ‘disabled’ which saved a lot of nause if you forgot to put up your blue badge.

For some obscure reason, we don't have an identifier on registration plates for disabled vehicles.

A job I had about 6 years ago involved visiting supermarkets to upgrade the software on the tills. This normally took a few hours, and the staff always said not to worry about getting parking tickets, as they would cancel them for us.
Well, I never got any tickets on my windscreen. What I did get was a series of emails about 5 weeks later from the van hire company my employers used. My number plates had been pinged by the snitch cameras, generating a PPN. The van company (a well known one for shafting customers) stated that they had paid the parking fines, and were passing them onto us, to be deducted from our wages. If this were true, then I would have about a grand's worth lost.
I made a snotty call to my manager, kicking off, and he told me I was the 20th engineer in this position. He assured me that our boss had told the van company where to go, and that it was not their place to pay our parking fines for us. Would they do my time if I got drunk and ploughed into a bus queue? I have always wanted a friend like that, haven't you?
The van company lost the contract with us, I am pleased to say. And I hope the bright spark whose idea it was to screw us lot is still on the dole after this.

I think this has been discussed before, but advice is needed. I parked in a Tesco supermarket in a disabled bay. I did not display my disabled badge, and got a penalty notice. I received a "fine" for £70 reduced to £30 within 14 days. What really happens if I refuse to pay, or ignore, or what do I need to do to appeal. It is a firm on the BPA.
Best bet is to supply evidence you have a valid blue badge, and simply failed to display. After that make the ******* work for it. If nothing else, it'll cost them more to charge you than they'll make, but you may get a jobsworth who makes it a personal mission to "take you down".

This happend and is gen..

Pointless. Invite them to take you to court. They won't.

Wrong, people turning up kicking off instore after ignoring all the letters and now suddenly they have an expensive court order against them was a common occurrence and some of my most violent incidents instore.

Instead of having window stickers and cards here's how they do it over here.

index.jpg

Wrong, people turning up kicking off instore after ignoring all the letters and now suddenly they have an expensive court order against them was a common occurrence and some of my most violent incidents instore.

If you mean a CCJ, then at that point you have lost your case. But that is the only point at which you are in danger of having to pay anything and even then a CCJ can be appealed. Various legal websites give the stats for companies taking people to court and the figures are very low. It quite simply isn't worth their while to pursue court action in most cases because the prospect of winning is so low.

You state they don't take people to court, on that you are wrong.
People come out with shite like well I got one 2 years and I binned/ignored it all...
Then get a shock when they find out it hasn't gone away.
The likes of parking Eye who Tesco use will let it go for ages apart from the odd letter as that way appeals are easier for them as the subject of the charge 2 years down the line hasn't likely still got the receipt from the shop to prove they were shopping and are humped if they go in the shop asking for the cctv to prove they were there to get told its recorded over after 30-90 days.

Last edited:
You state they don't take people to court, on that you are wrong.
People come out with shite like well I got one 2 years and I binned/ignored it all...
Then get a shock when they find out it hasn't gone away.
The likes of parking Eye who Tesco use will let it go for ages apart from the odd letter as that way appeals are easier for them as the subject of the charge 2 years down the line hasn't likely still got the receipt from the shop to prove they were shopping and are humped if they go in the shop asking for the cctv to prove they were there to get told its recorded over after 30-90 days.

I've still got the receipt and the goods. The CCTV footage issue works both ways. I asked for CCTV and/or bodycam footage proving that I had left the site. None was forthcoming. They are welcome to come back at me and I will enjoy a day out in court with the prospect of some damages at the end. It was an incorrectly issued speculative invoice and the company in question were chancing their arm, which appears to be their sole business model.

I got one a while back, scummy Parking Eye. I named the driver as per legal obligation, name taken from local rag of some bloke who'd gone down that afternoon for a 10 stretch. Good luck chasing that one up Parking Eye.

I'm not sure but think I read that there is little response obligation required for parking charge notices but if you do supply anything that is deliberately fabricated then that may be a criminal action. If true I suppose it is on the grounds of fraud in that you have entered into a contract yet supplied falsified information as part of the process.

Sounds to me like the first option posted would be best to try first, negotiate and see if you can make the problem go away by agreement. Nothing to lose there and everything to gain. Also I am not sure but could ignoring a correctly issues invoice possibly lead to personal credit rating impact?

Last edited:
It used to be the case that you could fob off the parking companies with a cheque for a couple of quid: equivalent to the 'wear and tear' on their tarmac caused by you using their parking lot, however a few years ago a parking company took a repeat offender to court and the guy was absolutely shafted by the court and made to pay a fortune (IIRC).

@mufftickler Unless you have been seriously ripped off/defrauded, you pay your debts. If you consume something or use a service (or borrow money from a licensed lender with clear understanding of what the contract entails), etc, then you pay your debt. To do otherwise is the mark of a scumbag with no integrity.

The principle is that a claimant can only be returned to the position before the incident occurred.

It has been successfully argued that parking (contrary to t&cs) only causes a minimal loss as you stated above.

Parking companies have got wise to this though and now include administration costs etc if it goes to court.

I'm not sure but think I read that there is little response obligation required for parking charge notices but if you do supply anything that is deliberately fabricated then that may be a criminal action. If true I suppose it is on the grounds of fraud in that you have entered into a contract yet supplied falsified information as part of the process.

Sounds to me like the first option posted would be best to try first, negotiate and see if you can make the problem go away by agreement. Nothing to lose there and everything to gain. Also I am not sure but could ignoring a correctly issues invoice possibly lead to personal credit rating impact?

Your credit rating is only affected by a registered CCJ against you. That requires them to take you to court first.

anglo

LE
The OP posted
"I think this has been discussed before, but advice is needed. I parked in a Tesco supermarket in a disabled bay. I did not display my disabled badge, and got a penalty notice."

I said you can park in Tesco being disabled and having no blue badge to display,
here is my proof

But she says she has been off work for two years following a serious back operation - and her employer classes her as disabled.
When she used a disabled parking space at the store, the was given a hefty fine.
A Tesco spokesman has apologised for what the supermarket sees as an error in its processes, and said the fine has been cancelled.
Maggi says she does not have a disabled badge because she is determined to get better following a back operation two years ago after sustaining a herniated disc.
What did Tesco say in response
A spokesman for Tesco said: “We have controls in place at our stores to prevent misuse of disabled parking spaces so that they are kept available for customers who need them.
"In this case, the parking charge notice was issued in error and has already been cancelled.
"We are sorry to Ms Mottishaw for any upset or confusion that was caused by this mistake and hope to welcome her back to our Yeovil Extra store soon.”

Edit, beware if you park in a disabled space and you are not disabled they have
every right to fine you, along with every other rule concerning their car parks

Last edited: