Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private parking charge notice

Don't believe anyone who says you should ignore it.
Write a polite notice giving the circumstances while you feel you should not pay, giving the evidence, but finish by saying that should they wish to pursue the matter, you will have no recourse but to place the matter in the hands of your solicitors,
Worked for me when they tried it on at a Heathrow hotel, even though I was clearly displaying a paid-for ticket. Lazy (or commission-greedy) sod from the CP management company couldn't have even walked around to the front of the car to check.

anglo

LE
I don't understand why being disabled means you have legal right to do whatever you want on someone elses property and ignore the T&Cs of the contract you entered when using the car park??
Because the Equality Act says so, the T7Cs must be fair and within the law,
what they should have done, was wait and see the driver of the car,
ask him "have you got a Blue Badge" in the OPs case he would have replied
"shit, I forgot to put it out" and all is well with the world again.
What the ticket man did was to make an assumption, which was wrong,
Have you seen one of the old parking meters, when the paid time
ran out, a small amount of time was allowed before the needle
went onto time expired, the ticket couldn't be disputed then
HTH
Edit, Just because a company writes something on a notice it doesn't mean it's right

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Write a polite notice giving the circumstances while you feel you should not pay, giving the evidence, but finish by saying that should they wish to pursue the matter, you will have no recourse but to place the matter in the hands of your solicitors,
Worked for me when they tried it on at a Heathrow hotel, even though I was clearly displaying a paid-for ticket. Lazy (or commission-greedy) sod from the CP management company couldn't have even walked around to the front of the car to check.

That's far too reasonable. It'll be a sad day indeed when the collective wisdom of Arrse can't parlay a £70 civil penalty into an at Her Majesty's pleasure/minimum tariff gig.

UKPC Ltd tried it on with me at Go Outdoors in Swindon, alleging that I had parked there in order to shop at the Tesco Extra opposite. I was, in fact, in Go Outdoors spending fifty notes on a Montane travel bag.

I eventually received the usual threatening letter from them, I drafted a reply confirming that I was the registered keeper of the vehicle and invited them to furnish me with any evidence that they might have that I had indeed left the site. I added that should they insist on taking me to court, I would defend the case vigorously and would invite the court to award me damages against them for wasting my time. I ran this past my SO2 LEGAD mate who suggested one minor amendment.

UKPC Ltd responded that the time for an appeal had passed and that they would pass the matter to their debt collection agency. I did receive a couple of letters from the agency demanding payment and I replied that they should (a) seek instructions from their client i.e. UKPC and (b) stop harassing me or I would instruct solicitors to sue them. I haven't received another letter since.

UKPC Ltd and their ilk are chiselling little crooks who fold the moment that someone stands up to them.

corby

Old-Salt
Don't ignore their Parking Charge Notice, they'll come after you and I believe they have up to six years to do so. I had a scumbag firm come after me five and a half years after I told them I was not paying. Unfortunately for them I still had all my evidence and paperwork and I eventually made a counter claim and got £150 although this was only half of my initial claim, but that was my fault for not fully playing the mediation game. I had invaluable advice from these

Good luck.

The op posted this,

I think this has been discussed before, but advice is needed. I parked in a Tesco supermarket in a disabled bay. I did not display my disabled badge, and got a penalty notice. I received a "fine" for £70 reduced to £30 within 14 days. What really happens if I refuse to pay, or ignore, or what do I need to do to appeal. It is a firm on the BPA.

I answered thus, their terms must be fair and be within the law, what the op does with information is up to him,
I would inform them that I had a blue badge

Often private car parks have signs demanding drivers display a blue badge when using the disabled parking bays, or risk getting a parking ticket. However, just because someone does not hold (or does not display) a blue badge does not mean they are not disabled; the Equality Act does not require the driver to display any sort of badge or permit. Anyone who fits the lawful definition of disability is entitled to make use of the ‘reasonable adjustments’. What they are in effect doing is adding arbitrary rules to the lawful right of someone to use a ‘reasonable adjustment’, and this could be considered a breach of the Equality Act.
At Parking Cowboys we hear of people being issued parking tickets for not displaying blue badges; either because they have forgotten to display them, or because they do not have one. So what should do? The simple answer is to tell the parking attendant, or appeal stating that you have a legal right to use the space, and provide any evidence you may have. At that point, the parking company should not pursue the charge since it would then be disability discrimination under the Equality Act. In short, don’t stand for such behaviour. If you are registered disabled and you are unfairly issued a parking ticket then fight back!

I think youre contorting legislation to your own advantage, rather than ensuring you comply with the law. Theres a lot wrong with your statement and you are very off the mark.

Because the Equality Act says so, the T7Cs must be fair and within the law,
what they should have done, was wait and see the driver of the car,
ask him "have you got a Blue Badge" in the OPs case he would have replied
"shit, I forgot to put it out" and all is well with the world again.
What the ticket man did was to make an assumption, which was wrong,
Have you seen one of the old parking meters, when the paid time
ran out, a small amount of time was allowed before the needle
went onto time expired, the ticket couldn't be disputed then
HTH
Edit, Just because a company writes something on a notice it doesn't mean it's right
Wrong. They are staking our their territory, and you would be foolish to ignore it. Take pictures of your badge, write an apologetic email, explain you are a loyal customer etc, etc.
Lay it on thick. They hopefully will send you a load of vouchers in apology.

Wrong. They are staking our their territory, and you would be foolish to ignore it. Take pictures of your badge, write an apologetic email, explain you are a loyal customer etc, etc.

Terrible advice. Writing back to them trying to helpfully explain the unfortunate situation will leave them rubbing their hands with glee and smelling blood. Whatever you write they will use against you. Never admit to anything with these sharks and invite them to prove you wrong. After all, the onus is upon them.

Do Tesco’s run their own car parks or is it contracted out? If the former, it might work, but of the latter i doubt the sharks will have any mercy.

anglo

LE
They supply disabled parking by law, they use the blue badge because it's covenant for them
if you are disabled they can't penalize for a simple mistake,
I have already said in another post I would not ignore it,
in a reply to Dinger

Terrible advice. Writing back to them trying to helpfully explain the unfortunate situation will leave them rubbing their hands with glee and smelling blood. Whatever you write they will use against you. Never admit to anything with these sharks and invite them to prove you wrong. After all, the onus is upon them.
Indeed. But by trying to prove you are the reasonable person, hoping to come to an agreement (ie camera hadn’t quite caught the thing in the window), you are willing to be reasonable etc without ever admitting a bloody thing etc.
IAMAL.

Do Tesco’s run their own car parks or is it contracted out? If the former, it might work, but of the latter i doubt the sharks will have any mercy.

With these parking companies it is a numbers game. They will prey on anyone who they perceive to be a pushover. Don't engage with them beyond politely telling them where to get off and certainly don't try to help them by explaining things.

endure

GCM
They want your money and they'll do anything to get it even if it involves bending the law a little.

Go to the forum I mentioned in my post and read some of the cases there. They do know what they're talking about as can be seen from the results of their interventions.

They supply disabled parking by law, they use the blue badge because it's covenant for them
if you are disabled they can't penalize for a simple mistake,
I have already said in another post I would not ignore it,
in a reply to Dinger

Yes they can. By parking there you accept their terms and conditions - contract law.

if you park there contrary to their terms and conditions you are trespasssing - tort law.

Show me where they have to provide disabled parking by law

Slightly off topic, but a mate of mine defaulted on a credit arrangemrnt to the tune of £20.000.
When he was in a position to pay it off he rang the bank and was told it was a month too late and the debt was in the hands of the collection agency.
He was going off to live with a girlfriend in the States anyway, so had no worries.

Anyway, I Digress.
The one lesson he learnt was that the first thing that Google will throw up when you ask them about debt problems is to always acknowledge your debt by getting in touch with the company concerned.
Big mistake, the last thing you should do.
As soon as you do that then the debt stays with you, possibly for life. If you have no contact then eventually it expires and you walk away with no implications, even on your credit rating.

Last edited:

Latest Threads