Private military contractor

Was/is the 'lightbulb' worn on the lower right sleeve?

Though I know of it, I never did see that badge worn anywhere I was based. Then again, I remember the old 'A' & 'B' trade badges with the laurels around the base...

Just creaking off for a nice cup of tea... more cheese Gromit?!

Not even by those who were entitled, since by now they are all retired, IIRC. ISTR the course (mil parachuting, sans P-company, basically) was discontinued by the end of the 1970s, or perhaps a tad later.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
Are Sandline International & Aegis Defence Services still going?

I remember seeing the odd one but can't remember if it was on the left or right arm. The more I think ISTR it was on the same side as the dagger but on the lower sleeve. It was thirty-five years ago.

I remember seeing the odd one but can't remember if it was on the left or right arm. The more I think ISTR it was on the same side as the dagger but on the lower sleeve. It was thirty-five years ago.
Right arm, lower part of sleeve.

He’s nails. A battalion of falschirmjager assaulting his position, a loonatic with a gun loosing of a magazine by his head, and he’s still changing a spark plug.
Aloonatic wielding a sten at that! The ultimate spud gun! Mowing down droves of intruding Boche at a distance (judging by the figures in the background) that a later namby-pamby SLR generation would regard as "miilesootafeckin'rangemarra! Are-ya-doolallitap,or-feckin'-wot, ye-daft-twat!!"

It used to have ‘SW’ underneath it.

For ‘shark wrestler’ obviously...
I think the plain Siebe Gorman Helmet badge was for those who had completed the 'Advanced Diver' course. It was an initial four week course at Marchwood which qualified soldiers as Shallow Water Divers.

After gaining diving hours they then attended the eight week advanced Diver course which qualified them to the standard civilian three month HSE approved Commercial Divers course for Air Divers, which was the basic course needed for working in the North Sea in the Eighties.

Not even by those who were entitled, since by now they are all retired, IIRC. ISTR the course (mil parachuting, sans P-company, basically) was discontinued by the end of the 1970s, or perhaps a tad later.
There was a REME Captain on my AAPC and BPC in 1983. He was on a three year course at Shrivenham. He rocked up wearing a green beret. Apparently the previous year during the course summer holidays he had completed the All Arms Commando Course and was presented with his green lid. For 1983 summer holiday it was All Arms P Company. He passed P Company and turned up at Brize wearing a red beret. Que - pisstaking by the lads; 'red on,' 'green on.'

He was awarded the light bulb when he completed BPC as he was not serving or had served with an Airborne unit. However if he was subsequently posted to an Airborne unit or Commandoi unit, he just needed to sow on his wings or dagger and get the relevant beret out of his locker.

They were ‘reintroduced’. They used to be worn on BD until that was phased out. When the ‘woolly pully’ was originally introduced, the mudguards were not worn. They were brought back around 1971.
Every unit used to wear them on Battle-Dress. i think they were called 'Flashes' then. We were issued BD for Saturday morning Drill Parades at JLR RE at Dover which had the Royal Engineer Flash on both arms. Mudguard seem's to be a new term, at least I haven't heard it before.

I noticed that the Guards introduced flashes/mudguards for their number two's a few years back. Also that the RMR have an 'R' under their mudguard, just to remind them of their status as 'Rubber Daggers' in the eyes of the Regular Corps.

Every unit used to wear them on Battle-Dress. i think they were called 'Flashes' then. We were issued BD for Saturday morning Drill Parades at JLR RE at Dover which had the Royal Engineer Flash on both arms. Mudguard seem's to be a new term, at least I haven't heard it before.

I noticed that the Guards introduced flashes/mudguards for their number two's a few years back. Also that the RMR have an 'R' under their mudguard, just to remind them of their status as 'Rubber Daggers' in the eyes of the Regular Corps.
Morning @par avion,
Ref: The Guards shoulder titles, early 80s IIRC and TRF, late 80s early 90s I think.

Guards 'rockers' were re- introduced in the early '90s - around the time the Household Div badge backing came into use.

The RMR 'R' has been discontinued so I'm told, at the same time the RNR and RAuxAF 'A' badge distinctions went.

RMR and RNR lost the ‘R’ from their flashes some years back. Quite a few didn’t like the change as they were quite proud of their ‘R’ status.

Latest Threads