• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Private Military Companies

I am currently doing a management diploma and have to do a comparative analysis of two UK companies.

Most people are doing boring things like construction but I felt something nice and politically incorrect like PMC's may be more interesting.

Who are the two most successful UK PMC's and do they publish "promotional literarture"

Trotsky

By chance I looked through todays Daily Mail,
There is a "been there and doing it" spread by "John Geedes"
A start point as he is current in the business?

Trotsky said:
I am currently doing a management diploma and have to do a comparative analysis of two UK companies.

Most people are doing boring things like construction but I felt something nice and politically incorrect like PMC's may be more interesting.

Who are the two most successful UK PMC's and do they publish "promotional literarture"

Trotsky
Very admirable - but if you've got any sort of conscience, you may feel the strong urge to have a good scrub down after such a sordid exercise. I'd recommend a bath in swarfega - it might remove the stench of corruption, the enduring stink of rank hypocrisy, the offensive reek of people who deal in death and all associated foul human ordure.

frenchperson said:
Trotsky said:

Trotsky
Very admirable - but if you've got any sort of conscience, you may feel the strong urge to have a good scrub down after such a sordid exercise. I'd recommend a bath in swarfega - it might remove the stench of corruption, the enduring stink of rank hypocrisy, the offensive reek of people who deal in death and all associated foul human ordure.
Righteous indignation and moral superiority doing a bad job of glossing over the fact that you evidently know the square root of damn all about PMCs...you are painfully predictable.

frenchperson said:
the stench of corruption, the enduring stink of rank hypocrisy, the offensive reek of people who deal in death and all associated foul human ordure.

Indeed.

Alternatively, stick to something much less unpleasant, such as PMCs.

B

Biscuits_AB

frenchperson said:
Trotsky said:

Trotsky
Fancy giving me a nosh? I can be gay if you want me to be.

I think you might have a bit of a problem doing the research for any kind of dissertation along those lines, Trot. The amount of information any of the major companies in that line give out is minimal in comparison to the vast prospectuses from more boring and normal organisations. If your college is the sort that offers 'peace studies', you could annoy them with kill rate comparisons from Lockheed platforms vs BAe in recent conflicts or something like that ( be sure to go into depth on 'lethality'.)

Trotsky,

These links, and the specific book mentioned below, may be of interest to you:

http://www.fortliberty.org/private-military-companies.shtml (particularly useful for a list of PMCs)

http://www.privatemilitary.org/home.html (follow the links at the top of the home page)

The Market for Force: The Consequences of Privatizing Security by Deborah D. Avant, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2005. This book is possibly what you will find the most useful, as the author takes what might be termed a business approach to the PMCs, and is particularly good in her comparisons.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
...and finally, there was a thread on the US use of PMC's ( notably a company called Black Water) following the incident which sparked off the battle for Fallujah, posted in Multinational....here.

The first bunch I met in Iraq were a British outfit called Olive.....they had the force protection task with , amongst others, Bechtel.

A friend of mine now runs a Kuwait based operation which provides static armed security for various sites, mostly using former Gurkhas recruited in Nepal, so I guess he falls within the description too.

Latest Threads