Private Medical Insurance for RMAS Cadets

#1
I was sitting in a pub in Essex with my long suffering wife - we were down at Burnham sailing- when I heard 3 guys talking about army stuff. They sounded like retired officers doing some sort of consultancy. They were a bit loud so I cannot be accused of intentionally eavesdropping, but I heard one of them complaining that his son was going to Sandhurst soon and in the joining pack he was sent an application to join BUPA!

I nearly joined in to ask if he was serious but I bit my tongue as the other 2 did it for me. Apparently this is true. Is this how the MOD hopes to get round the after care problems that they have with those injured in Irag or Afghanistan?

How bizzare is that. Will BUPA pay out if the injury is as a result of Hostile action or terrorism. What is the insurance definition for what is happening in the ME.

I just thought I would ask what you chaps felt about it.
 
#2
WOAH! Hold your horses. :D I start RMAS in January and I got the BUPA pack with my Joining Instructions... HOWEVER. Their was a covering letter attached (from the Adj, I think) which stated that BUPA was NOT endorsed by the military, but that if one were to be interested in private health insurance, then BUPA do good military rates (and they really do).

Their is NO requirement to take out the cover (although I think I will, it really is remarkably good value) by RMAS, and no pressure.

Off the soap box...

EDIT: In fact, I happen to have all my docs with me, and I will now type out the covering letter from the Officer in question...

RMAS Covering Letter said:
As part of your pre-RMAS documentation, we have chosen to include a BUPA Medical Insurance information pack. As you are probably aware BUPA is one of a number of companies whose business is the provision of medical insurance. At this time BUPA is the only medical company who has a special rate for Cadets and military personnel alike.

Please understand that RMAS is not endorsing BUPA's product above any other commercial medical insurance provider, RMAS has chosen to enclose the information pack to enable you to make an informed choice about medical insurance cover should you decide that you wish to take out such cover. Cadets are not obliged to take out medical insurance cover; it is a personal choice if they wish to do so.
Phew. I'm rather bored, by the way. 8)
 
#3
The_Goon said:
WOAH! Hold your horses. :D I start RMAS in January and I got the BUPA pack with my Joining Instructions... HOWEVER. Their was a covering letter attached (from the Adj, I think) which stated that BUPA was NOT endorsed by the military, but that if one were to be interested in private health insurance, then BUPA do good military rates (and they really do).

Their is NO requirement to take out the cover (although I think I will, it really is remarkably good value) by RMAS, and no pressure.

Off the soap box...
Ditto, personally I've taken it as I've always had it but I belive the discount extends to your partner and family too.
 
#4
That is accepted but I find it interesting that ther Armed Forces are pushing, not necessarily endorsing, a private health product to the newly joining. Where do you stand if you are shattered by an IED and try to claim on BUPA? Is this a way of suggesting that you can get fixed quicker by trotting off to a BUPA hospital rather than Silly Joke?

I am an old cynic I know but I find it quite sad.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#5
How interesting. No doubt they will happily include a BAFF membership form too! If by any chance they don't, you can join BAFF online here: Join BAFF

If they're providing free distribution for commercial advertising material, no doubt they will look favourably on recruiting forms for the Armed Forces' representative staff association.
 
#6
cpunk said:
How interesting. No doubt they will happily include a BAFF membership form too! If by any chance they don't, you can join BAFF online here: Join BAFF

If they're providing free distribution for commercial advertising material, no doubt they will look favourably on recruiting forms for the Armed Forces' representative staff association.
I suspect not. You are all rabble rousers and should no longer exist. Didn't you realise that that was the real reason behind the DIN.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#7
Resurgam said:
cpunk said:
How interesting. No doubt they will happily include a BAFF membership form too! If by any chance they don't, you can join BAFF online here: Join BAFF

If they're providing free distribution for commercial advertising material, no doubt they will look favourably on recruiting forms for the Armed Forces' representative staff association.
I suspect not. You are all rabble rousers and should no longer exist. Didn't you realise that that was the real reason behind the DIN.
You don't say? Well I never...
 
#8
How interesting that BUPA are seeking to take over the NHS backdoor style folks.I can remember back in the seventies and in the RUC, BUPA had a similar scheme there.It was sooner rather than later that BUPA decided to pull the plug on insuring the RUC as claims rocketed over night.I personally did not use the services of BUPA myself but a lot of the members included their families and used BUPA services for all sorts of problems thus causing BUPA to withdraw from the police scheme They asked for a 50% increase in premiums from members actually.Members took up a similar scheme with WPA which did not offer quite as much and was cheaper.It sounds a good idea but knowing BUPA they won't stay the course long as it will start to bite into their vast profits.
 
#9
BUPA cover for the Forces (it seems to be a specific scheme) covers surgery and organ transplants (obviously with other cover) but importantly covers injuries arising from dangerous hobbies, and self-inflicted injuries. So it probably does cover treatment post-incident in an Op Theatre.

I wouldn't say they were pushing it, as the excerpt from the letter shows. They're just giving the extra option.
 
#10
Is it not true that BUPA will not treat Accident and Emergency type patients, and they similarly will not treat stable conditions that will not get better.

Sorry it isn't phrased better but I've had a sh1tty night.
 
#12
You're probably right, Resurgam, assuming I make it through RMAS and onto a wider career in the Army, I'm certain cynicism will come soon enough!

Sven - Correct (ish), they don't cover chronic conditions, which are long-term illnesses. They also won't cover accident or emergency situations, but they do allow you to claim cash benefits from certain NHS treatments and do cover subsequent hosptial treatment. I imagine this means that they won't cover an emergency admission into hospital, but if you then require two weeks in care, they cover that.
 
#13
Sven said:
Is it not true that BUPA will not treat Accident and Emergency type patients, and they similarly will not treat stable conditions that will not get better.

Sorry it isn't phrased better but I've had a sh1tty night.
BUPA aren't geared up to be a A&E service. Along with most private hospitals, BUPA are organised to handle routine stuff that people want done outside of waiting in an NHS queue, and are prepared to pay for.

There's nothing wrong with that either - they're offering a service, the same as any other. Your GP isn't geared up to offer an A&E facility either - he'll bluelight you when it's beyond his scope.
 
#14
I think the original point was why are soldiers (and I include officers here :) ) not covered by the MoD for thier helathcare as they have been in the past?
 
#15
Good points Sven.

BUPA do not provide A&E services. Apart from the fact they are not set up for it (requires masses of extra staff, training and facilities), it would lead to situations where an ambulance crew would have to ask you for proof of insurance before deciding which hospital to take you to (this happens in some US cities) and then being asked to prove insurance cover before anything other than emergency stabilising treatment is given (as in nearly all US hospitals).

What would happen if an ambulance with critically injured, but uninsured, people inside drives past a BUPA A&E hospital on its way to an NHS hospital and one of the injured dies en route? One thing the NHS does well is A&E work. BUPA cannot compete (because they need to turn a profit).

As for long-term illness, the answer is not so simple. If you contracted the illness/problem before joining BUPA (or any other health scheme) then that problem will be exempt from cover, along with any other problems that can be attributed to it. e.g. victom gets a badly mangled leg from a car crash and 6months later joins BUPA. While the NHS provides physio etc for treatment of the leg, the victim then develops a serious back problem and severe depression. Doctors say it is related to the car crash and BUPA will refuse to provide any treatment.

If however you contract the problem while insured then the treatment will continue up to the point where you have exhausted the financial limits of your policy. My policy states that should I contract HIV/AIDS then I will receive funding of up to 40,000USD per year for up to 20 years. After that I am on my own. Limit for any one illness in any one year is 3 million pounds. May seem like a lot but the best private hospitals in the world can charge over 2,000 quid a day for the room, plus treatment!

I have relied on private health care since leaving the Army in 2001, at a cost of over 3,500quid a year (for just myself). While I am happy to be treated in a Serb, Hungarian, Romanian hospital's A&E department to stabilise me, to recuperate and recover I want to be looked after by some hubbalicious babes in a Swiss mountain health resort, not some communist concrete relic. If I get get cancer etc then I want to be flown by air ambulance/private jet to the best hospital in the world for treating that condition (so no-where in the UK).
 
#16
Because there are no military hospitals left and the promise that several Ministers of the Crown made about military people receiving priority treatment and jumping queues on the NHS has been proven to be a big fat lie!
 
#17
I guess the cover will differ depending on what you take out, but the docs I have clearly state that AIDS/HIV is not covered at all, and does not cover any chronic illnesses, whether you have them already or contract them in the future.
 
#18
Ord_Sgt said:
I think the original point was why are soldiers (and I include officers here :) ) not covered by the MoD for thier helathcare as they have been in the past?
You are right. That is what I meant - in my old twisted mind I was trying to spread a bit of muck about and re-kindle the wot about the military hospitals thingy again.

I still find it pretty disturbing that RMAS are doing free mailshots for BUPA.
How much are they paid?
Are they on a comission or just paid on a 'number of flyers' sent out basis?
Is this legal?
Is it ethical?
Do BUPA sponsor Sandhurst teams?
What is the meaning of life?

Lets open a jar of worms here!! :wink:
 
#19
The_Goon said:
I guess the cover will differ depending on what you take out, but the docs I have clearly state that AIDS/HIV is not covered at all, and does not cover any chronic illnesses, whether you have them already or contract them in the future.
Therefore I don't see any point in soldiers having it - £several thousand pounds wasted
 
#20
I suppose you could always call the OCAC at RMAS and ask them these pertinent and succint questions...

Officer Cadet Administration Centre
Academy HQ
RMAS
CAMBERLEY
GU15 4PQ

Tel: +44 (0) 1276 412556

(Google reveals this, BTW!)
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top